The Annapolis Valley Shooting Sports Club was incorporated on 01 June 1960
However it all started a bit earlier … It was founded in 1958 by a group of local trap and skeet shooters. At that time the club had 15 members and was located on Mee Road, outside Kentville town limits. Within two years, membership had grown to about 40, and two trap and two skeet fields were constructed with virtually all the work done by the membership. Each member worked weekends and evenings to complete the new facilities.
The club continued to be active at the Mee Road location until 1970 when surrounding housing developments forced the club to find new facilities, and one which could include handgun and rifle. In 1971 a 225 acre abandoned farm in Canaan was purchased with the funds raised by the sale of the Club’s Mee Road property. Work began immediately on the current club house which includes a club room with fireplace, full kitchen, loading room, two washrooms, entrance way and a 20 metre indoor range used by handgun, small bore rifle, and archery.
Our club now consists of 5 active sections including Kings Archers, Black Powder, Handgun, Rifle, and Shotgun. Indoor facilities have changed very little over the years however outdoor facilities have been dramatically upgraded to include separate ranges and some field courses for all of the 5 sections. This allows both competitive and recreational family shooting to be carried out 24 hours a day, year round.