Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy Jack, SASS #20451

Convention Forum

4 posts in this topic

I certainly hope this forum doesn't disappear. As long as it is here at least there is hope for another one someday.

I am not sure of all the reasons why SASS decided to relocate the annual convention to a venue other than Las Vegas. I was pleased to have attended at least 3 conventions in Vegas but refused to follow the move to another venue. The Vegas conventions were so much fun and I do believe that there were a lot of people in attendance when I was present. That being said, it is a damn shame that the higher-ups in SASS made this poor decision and ow we all have to live with it. I am certain that a little more investigation into another location rather than the now defunct Riviera would have been amde possible if the higher-ups really wanted to do so. I am certain that the Vegas conventions were well received and that this whole debacle and ultimate demise of the SASS convention in Las Vegas was directly related to our board members poor decisions.

This is not to say that I am dissatisfied with SASS, in the contrary I am pleased o be a part of this organization. It is just that I am somewhat dismayed by the lack of vigor that was set forth in trying to keep the convention alive.

Red Stagg

I am not sure of all the reasons why SASS decided to relocate the annual convention to a venue other than Las Vegas. I was pleased to have attended at least 3 conventions in Vegas but refused to follow the move to another venue. The Vegas conventions were so much fun and I do believe that there were a lot of people in attendance when I was present. That being said, it is a damn shame that the higher-ups in SASS made this poor decision and ow we all have to live with it. I am certain that a little more investigation into another location rather than the now defunct Riviera would have been amde possible if the higher-ups really wanted to do so. I am certain that the Vegas conventions were well received and that this whole debacle and ultimate demise of the SASS convention in Las Vegas was directly related to our board members poor decisions.

This is not to say that I am dissatisfied with SASS, in the contrary I am pleased o be a part of this organization. It is just that I am somewhat dismayed by the lack of vigor that was set forth in trying to keep the convention alive.

Red Stagg

You are aware that the last convention was again in Las Vegas and the response was not enough to pay the way. SASS is a business and if the conventions don't pay their way they aren't going to happen. Personally I've been to 9 conventions and yes the early one were by far the best, but times have changed,They moved them from Vegas, because that's what people kept saying that's what the wanted, but attendance never went up. I'd like to see them scale them back so they aren't so expensive, for everybody, vendors,participants and SASS Headquarters.

Red Stagg

Hi Red,

There were people who felt that keeping it in Las Vegas was a bad decision. They wanted it in other venues. There were many people in Branson and San Antonio who I'd never seen in Vegas.

However, we were snowed in in Branson and the vendors were a block away in San Antonio. Vegas is better able to accommodate us; but, by this year attendance was down and costs were up.

I too prefer Vegas as it is cheaper for me to either drive or fly there. I spent a lot of money getting to the other venues.

I will really miss the people I saw at the Convention. :)

Happy Jack, I thought I read in the April Chronicle that 2015 was the last convention. It makes me sad to hear such finality. :(

Regards,

Allie