Harman Hammer, SASS #20214

A Positive Subject

19 posts in this topic

Hello Wire,

I have been following on the SASS Classifieds a title post "Ripped Off in Austin, TX",  and wanted to start a post that is not the result of a deal gone bad. I feel bad for the Nickel City Dude the original poster on the classifieds, and wish him luck in resolving his deal gone bad. I am going to relate a story about a deal I just completed with a fellow SASS member.

I saw an ad posting on the SASS Classifieds last Saturday evening, by Professor Thoreau (SASS # 2611). After several very timely PM's, and emails back n forth with pertinent information by both of us he offered to send the revolvers on Monday (1 1/2 days later). We had, and still will have good communication back n forth which I think is paramount when making deals such as this. He packaged them up brought them to an FFL dealer that charges more because his normal dealer was not open on Monday. All that because I requested that they reach me by this coming Saturday.

The revolvers reached my hands today, that's 5 days from "I'll Takem" to my hands with a Sunday in there to. You may say OK that's doable if you live in the same state, surrounding state, or even region of the country. This deal was from coast to coast basically, Oregon to South Carolina. OK how did this get done you might ask? Well it's like this... Prof. Thoreau sent the revolvers without having received payment (Recommended??? Maybe NOT). As of the composing of this post he still has not received the payment in the requested form which was sent as agreed (Also Monday morning). I offered to wire transfer funds directly to his bank to help him feel comfortable with the transaction, but he said "No need, you've been a SASS member for a long time, I trust you".

Professor Thoreau is a fine gentleman to do business with, and I hope he'll get on here and respond favorably towards my end of the transaction as well. 

Please share your positive stories on this thread, and show that there are many good transaction stories out there within the SASS community. Let's get this page after page of good outcomes.

Happy Trails

H. Hammer

6 people like this

I periodically order stuff from 'The Smith Shop' like springs or something for my 97.

They NEVER ask for prepayment.   They promptly send the stuff I order, along with an invoice, and I send em the money.

I get the same great service from Slick McClade down in Louisiana.

I've had expensive gunsmith work by a few of our SASS gunsmiths, and they never ask for prepayment either.   There services are always top notch.

..........Widder

1 person likes this

2 Great posts..

and a great topic..

Rance ;)

Thinkin.. By golly there are still good things in life :)

Like "Cowboy/Cowgirl Trust"

Ok, this is a fine idea, Harman Hammer. My recent experience, as a new member, has been warming and encourages me to pay it forward. I bought a nice set of Tuned Smoke wagon Deluxe short strokes from Cooncan, who also had another SASS member vouch for her since there were not many posts. Her first set (of 2) were sold and no concerns were expressed. I was waiting for a guitar sale to go though and it took longer than expected. Short version is, we had a successful 2 grin deal and after a short stint at my local range last weekend I am looking forward to my first meet as a tenderfoot this weekend with the Cascade Ghostriders.

I also bought a nice holster set from Little Joe Dalton, and like others said here, developing a dialogue goes a long ways to make each party comfortable and besides it's fun to meet folks that loiter about here! B) Both the Pistols and holsters are capable of more than I am at this first stage of participating. I am comforted that I will be able to grow into them as many suggested and advised.

Get an idea of what you think you'd want and prefer. Then be patient, as I was advised (not my strong suit) and the deal will come your way. You'll be rewarded with a great deal and be supporting one of your cousins in the sport, too. As I've been taught, "It's the cowboy way."

2 people like this

I just had a great example of integrity  & character with Nick Asadi at Tombstone Leather. I ordered a gun belt for my grand daughter just a little while ago. Talking to Nick I mentioned it was for her birthday this coming week. He said he had two daughters and knew how important it would be to get this out ASAP even though his delivery time currently is about July. He asked if he could add a little bling to the belt in the form of a couple conchos & some rifle ammo loops - his treat for the occasion. The belt arrived today, early as promised with the gratis additions. I'm going to send him a pic and video of her opening her present. I hope it shows the appreciation of his efforts to please one of our young shooters.  Thanks Nick !

2 people like this

Thank you Prairie Dawg, two times.  Good cowboy to do business with.  

im in for a positive thread , ive had so many great transactions between dealers and fellow members over the years that i cannot even start to list them all , some great SASS deals included , but ........

last night , while slipping from site to site catching up i visited one ive not been on for about a year , i then reviewed a really old and long thread related to an obscure , older , 22 springfield rifle that resemble the M1 garand , there are about 150 of us that have our rifles buttplate number [they did not have serial numbers] there , a recent entry was by an individual that recognized me there and remembered selling me an equally obscure enfield , it was a totally e-mail/phone call type transaction , we did not argue price as he was fair , everything came exactly as described or better and it was as original a version as ive ever encountered , he remembered it as fondly as i did , i did not recognize his avatar at once as he uses a different one than he did when i bought from him , but he recognized mine as its been the same since the early days [different than here] on every site except this one , it was a fair amount of money and a fairly complicated piece , there was a great deal of trust involved on both parts - everything went really smooth , 

Prairie Dawg sent my first pair of C&B revolvers prior to $ being received. Can't wait to meet the gentleman!

Amarillo Rattler

How about this:

My wife and I are traveling to Kentucky to shoot the Bourbon Trail match.

We have already spent 5 nights on the road, 2 in a hotel and 3 in a tent.

Weeks before the match director says stay at my house. So me, wife and small dog stayed with Ruff Kut and friends for 4 nights. 

I don't know of another sport that something like that happens.

Now I am hoping he and his wife will visit South Florida sometime so we can put them up.

There's so much more to this story but too much for here. It's all good except the part where you have to say goodbye.

Waimea

2 people like this

Nice thread, Harman Hammer.

I bought a Rossi 92 from Kid Rich a few months back. Great Pard, for sure. He told me all about the rifle, it was a 24" octagon barreled Rossi 92 in .45 Colt. He gave me  a really good price and he shipped it when promised. He even told me about the little rust spot on the bottom of the receiver and that he kind of slicked it up a bit and had trimmed the hammer spring but hadn't done the full Nate Kiowa Jones slick up job on it. He said it had been used in a match or two and put in the safe. Everything he said was right on the money and it's a great rifle. Even more so now that I have used some of NKJ's mods on it. ;) I had some follow up questions  after I got the rifle and PM'd him. He called me right away, rather than respond with a PM, which I appreciated very much. I hope I get to meet him someday. :D

I also bought a very nice holster from Springfield Slim recently. It took a little longer to get to me than I expected but to be fair he told me he was swamped and we never discussed a delivery date. This holster was definitely worth the wait and his prices were very reasonable. I ordered just one holster because I wanted to see how it would come out with the coloration and design I requested. It's a black and chestnut double loop holster with stars imprinted on it. I didn't want to order a full rig and find out that I wouldn't be happy with it. I kind of thought my two-tone color idea might not look as good as I thought it might - It does :)  That holster I got from him is VERY nice and I will be buying from him again to get the rest of the rig to match the holster...I just have to make some decisions in regards to loops or slides and what guns I want to make other holsters for. I will definitely buy from him again. :D

1 person likes this

Y'all are warming my heart. Thank you all who have or will post the good stuff about our SASS family!

I read about the Henry 22 soft stroke done by Widowmaker Hill #59054. I had previously bought commemorative Eagle Scout Henry 22 rifles for my 3 Eagle Scout boys. I wanted to soft stroke the rifles so my son's could have maximum enjoyment. I emailed Widowmaker Hill and asked if it would be possible to get some information on how the soft stroke was done. He graciously spend a considerable amount of time on the telephone on two occasions talking me through the process. He even sent along some Springs free of charge. His generosity is greatly appreciated and I hope to get a chance to get even one day. At the very least I'll watch for opportunities to pay it forward.

I want to thank Harman Hammer for his kind words and note that his payment arrived in my mail box the same day the revolvers arrived at his dealer.  It has been a real pleasure dealing with him and this transaction was handled with grace, understanding, and honor on both ends.  We truly have a wonderful community with SASS and I feel very privileged and blessed to be a part of it.  I know that there are many who have done considerate deeds for others that went unsung.  I want to take this opportunity to say a big thank you for what you have done in the past and for what you will do in the future.   

Thank You one and All!!!

Professor Thoreau

Edited by Professor Thoreau, SASS 2611
2 people like this

Too many positive stories to remember and zero negative experiences.

1 person likes this

I seconded Capt' Burt.  Nothing but good, great people I have dealt with, very fair, everything went a lot smoother than anything else I have done online, mail, or phone.  A lot of the code we follow come from the Holy Bible.  And it is great to see all of these stories.  We get pounded with bad media coverage on everything, that it is great to have one place where you can ask a question and get a straight answer or purchase something without reservations.

3 people like this

I have bought and sold many things on the SASS wire.

I have had stuff shipped to me before payment has been sent.

I have shipped stuff out before receiving the payment .

My feeling are if you are a SASS member and frequent the SASS wire .

The Odds of the deal going south with out both party's coming to a resolution is very slim.

Just sayin .

Rooster 

Sale at the range - Shooter wanted to purchase the 45-70 rifle I had in my cart with a sign for sale.  I told him the price. He responded that is a good price!  He asked if I was willing to hold it for him, as it would take a couple of months to save the money.  I had not seen this shooter before.  I told him to take the rifle and shoot it.  Pay me as he was able to save the money.  He was at the same Match the next month - we chatted but did not discuss payment.  The next month, at the end of the match - he approached me and presented me with about one third of the price of the rifle. He said he really enjoyed shooting the rifle.  The next month he did not show up at the Match.  The following month - at the end of the Match he presented me with the another third of the price.  The following month he presented me with the remaining third of the payment.  He did not talk much.  Good way to do business!

1 person likes this

BTT for a good thread.....

I have had many positive experiences here on the classified forum and don't recall a bad one.