Author Topic: Wild Bunch costuming  (Read 6510 times)

evilroy

• WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
Wild Bunch costuming
« on: June 16, 2014, 09:52:52 AM »
I want to clarify the position of the Wild Bunch Committee on the ongoing costume subject. You are more than welcome to shoot any WB matches including the Nationals and World Championships with any legal clothing.  You will not be thought less of if you wear the minimum allowed.  If you have any questions just look up the rules.  Our goal is to encourage as many to shoot WB as possible.  We want to draw as many from outside SASS as possible while maintaining the tremendous support we have with present CAS shooters who also shoot WB matches.  We are shooting a sport set in a specific period so you are encouraged to either go all out with military dress of the period or if that does not move you jeans, work boots(by SASS rules.  Look it up) and a hat or headband or whatever.  Again look it up. I will be shooting in jeans, my Redwing boots, black shirt and black hat this year to emphasize simple is ok.  This is first and foremost a serious shooting contest with power factor and large caliber requirements.  If you want to look like Zapata, Pike Lyle or just wear late 19th or early 20 Century ranch wear you will likely be fine.  Again the rules.  CAS gear is usually just fine as well.  I usually just shoot in my regular CAS stuff. Pay attention to the boots.  No lug soles or modern combat type boots.   We want to have fun, shoot big calibers, shoot 1911s, rifles and shotguns, burn up lots of ammo and celebrate the transition period between the Old West and Modern times.

Some things to ponder:  This is 3 gun you can shoot with lead bullets at steel targets on pistol bays.  It is much less expensive than AR ammo, slugs, buckshot, and jacketed pistol bullets.

There is no shooting under cars, through low ports and 50 yard dashes involved.  You have a chance of doing well even you are not 20 years old.

We have added military bolt action rifles as a side shoot this year.  Lots and lots of fun and very inexpensive to get started in.

You can shoot mil spec 1911 one handed in the Traditional Class or modern 1911s in the Modern class.  Just .45 and full size 5 inch pistols.

We shoot both big and small targets.  You cannot just wave the guns at targets and expect to do well in WB.

Women and juniors can operate 1911s just fine.  Wicked Felina is very small and thinks the 1911 is the easiest gun to shoot that she has.

Come play.

Boggus Deal

Re: Wild Bunch costuming
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:13:08 AM »

You cannot just wave the guns at targets and expect to do well in WB.

HAH! Ain't that the truth!!

Seriously, thank you for stating the info about costuming. I have heard from quite a few that the biggest reason they don't shoot Wild Bunch is the costuming. I've tried my best to make sure they know what is and isn't required.
see you in a few days!
Boggus

Nellie Blue

• Administrator
    • Nellie Blue's Website
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 12:31:55 PM »
Thank you for posting this!!!!!   8)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain.

evilroy

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 12:55:03 PM »
Without any exaggeration half the people in the cafe in Dublin are dressed legally for WB matches.  Work shirt, cowboy boots, cowboy hat and jeans.  You do not have to dress in fuzzy chaps to shoot WB or for CAS for that matter.  My first CAS outfit cost $2.50, 20 years ago.  I wore my old cowboy boots, jeans, work shirt and a hat I paid $1.50 for at the thrift shop and a vest I paid $1.00 for at the same place.  Many enjoy dressing up in really fancy duds but many don't like to worry about it too much.  I do not think it is asking to much to wear things to go with the period. We want lots of folks to shoot WB. Work clothes or an all out military outfit are fine as are Mexican clothes or anything seen in the time frame.  Just look at the rule book to be sure it is ok but it is not too complicated.  This sport is going to be very large so come and shoot old guns with us.  It is the most fun shooting sport I have ever done.

El Mulo Vaquero

• GrinerGunworks
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 02:14:21 PM »
WHAT!! No 10 pages of posts about wearing Jeans!  :D I have seen ER shoot in Blue Jeans many, many times.  Its all good.
El Mulo Vaquero----Ken Griner

Goody

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 02:37:29 PM »
Nice post. Well thought out, informational and to the point without being inflammatory. You ever consider appying for one of the ambassador positions? ::)

Wild Bodie Tom

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 02:59:53 PM »
Thats a good one.......
Wild Bodie Tom
Wild Bunch addict

"Guilty by association"
Team BROTHEL BOYS  Co-founder
Regulator
Wild Bunch, and Wild Wimens
"Its not that I think you are dumb, Its just that so much of what you say you know is not true"

largokc

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 05:57:32 PM »
Fazzt Taz & I will be at EOT Wild Bunch.I don't have any problem getting set up but she is a different story but we'll manage...Largo

Nellie Blue

• Administrator
    • Nellie Blue's Website
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 09:03:34 PM »
Nice post. Well thought out, informational and to the point without being inflammatory.

That's what I like about the WB Wire.  ;)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain.

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 08:28:22 AM »
Without any exaggeration half the people in the cafe in Dublin are dressed legally for WB matches.  Work shirt, cowboy boots, cowboy hat and jeans.  You do not have to dress in fuzzy chaps to shoot WB or for CAS for that matter.  My first CAS outfit cost $2.50, 20 years ago.  I wore my old cowboy boots, jeans, work shirt and a hat I paid $1.50 for at the thrift shop and a vest I paid $1.00 for at the same place.  Many enjoy dressing up in really fancy duds but many don't like to worry about it too much.  I do not think it is asking to much to wear things to go with the period. We want lots of folks to shoot WB. Work clothes or an all out military outfit are fine as are Mexican clothes or anything seen in the time frame.  Just look at the rule book to be sure it is ok but it is not too complicated.  This sport is going to be very large so come and shoot old guns with us.  It is the most fun shooting sport I have ever done.                        Also that half probably had at least one gun of the three they needed to compete with either on them or in the truck! ;D ;) dusty Boddams

vaquero

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 05:40:14 AM »
Part of the fun is getting your clothes together.   Shot my first match, with my sass clothes.  Later got a smoky bear hat from e-bay, a Dickies shirt from e-bay, total cost $21.00.  Still searching resale shops for britches.

Abe E.S. Corpus

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 07:19:28 AM »
What a great post; lots of positive points about WBAS in addition to costuming. 

I suggest you change the subject line and make it a sticky.

vaquero

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 11:04:21 AM »
Yesterday, I saw some good deals on campaigne hats on E-Bay.

vaquero

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 09:51:44 AM »
Yesterday, I picked up a U.S. and crossed sabers collar insignias for my Wild Bunch shirt.  (Dickies, from Walmart.)  Looks good.

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »
 ;D V , that's a real simple ad but makes all the difference in he world . That's the same wild bunch shirt I have. I also picked up some ww2 reproduction canvas leggings when I really want to deck out . I think it makes for a sharp outfit and of course the campaign hat tops it all off.  Dusty boddams