Author Topic: Laser Steered .50 BMG rounds  (Read 5356 times)

Happy Jack

• Wild Bunch Committee Chairman
Re: Laser Steered .50 BMG rounds
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 05:09:38 PM »
Back to the subject of the OP.  I have been aware of this program for several years. The teams that come out here (Including various groups from DARPA) have mentioned it off and on. Sandia's CA lab came up with early prototypes, but the current prototypes are from the same group as the "smart artillery shells". EXACTO. While the projectile is .50" it is NOT a bullet designed to be fired in a 50BMG case. It is too long (doesn't leave enough case room for powder) and not only that because of the rifling in the 50BMG barrel it wouldn't work. Too much gryoscopic stability. A new rifle would have to be developed to use it. I have no doubt that it will work, but a long way from being fielded.  After the failed tests with the radar and laser wind projects (some performed here at my site) this is a logical direction.
1911's RULE !!!

Garrison Joe

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 06:34:12 PM »
Yee HAW!   It would be nice to know where my 1911s shoots at 90 or 100 yards, assuming I can make next year's state WB match.  Guess I'll have to put that on my list of todos.

Thanks for the info!  Shows just how devious you pards can be, huh?

GJ
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:05:58 PM by Garrison Joe »
Good luck, GJ

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.    Col. J Cooper
Why else would you want to be here?

60708 Life/Regulator

J. Frank Norfleet

• IXL
  • WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 08:34:58 PM »
Largo,
Pack your BAMM rifle for Outlaw Trail.  Just had Misty put it on the schedule for Wednesday afternoon.
JFN
"Pilgrim, life is hard - It's a lot harder when you're stupid."  Marion Mitchell Morrison

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Nawlins Kid

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 04:39:24 AM »
Ok GJ, here goes bammbalooza was billed as an event instead of a side match and it had had a story line but the meat of it was this---shooter begins at the north door of the mercantile.rifle with bolt open 5 in the mag. At the beep proceed to left window and from any position shoot the driver then El Jefe the passenger in the back seat then the three outriders (we had a model T cutout with steel targets for driver and passenger wearing sombreros) range 90-110 yards.proceed to right window and repeat with rifle.grounding rifle draw pistol shoot plate rack with cigarette and cola cans on end sized targets plate rack. Move to center door engage dueling tree then engage "devil man" for five shots( he was at 90 yards).proceed to left window engage second dueling tree with five and ground pistol.Then run to the right hand porch and engage 6 shotgun targets (these are all clay birds thrown from a commercial thrower with the button held down). That was Bammbalooza 14' .  Any more woulda been to much!  Dusty Boddams

Howdy Dusty

Are there any videos that were taken during the match?

Nawlins

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 07:09:30 AM »
Howdy NK, I don't know. Billy bob our club president might of done it . He is usually the photographer. I will ask him.  Dusty

Nawlins Kid

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 06:21:29 PM »
Howdy NK, I don't know. Billy bob our club president might of done it . He is usually the photographer. I will ask him.  Dusty

Howdy Dusty,
For us folks who can't come down to play in your playground a video/pictures would be a good way to explain the match. Also showing shooters having fun is also a good thing.

Nawlins

Goatneck

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 10:07:32 PM »

JFN

I am going to shoot OUtlaw Trail with youall.  Thats great that you are shooting a Battle Rilfe Match.  I will bring several extra Rifles with Ammo for shooters to use if they do not have their own.  See ya in a few weeks..............

Goatneck

J. Frank Norfleet

• IXL
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 05:48:37 AM »
Great, I look forward to seeing you.
JFN
"Pilgrim, life is hard - It's a lot harder when you're stupid."  Marion Mitchell Morrison

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein