Author Topic: Costume based on The Wild Bunch?  (Read 9889 times)

Wild Bodie Tom

• WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
Re: Costume based on The Wild Bunch?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 05:36:41 PM »
Hope ya have thick skin if ya wear that hat around anywhere Team Brothel Boys is shootin....LOL
We have kind of a former guy that we truly gave a hard time to. Just warnin ya.... Just sayin...
It won't be you, so please try to understand. Just sayin. LOL

Thanks
Bodie
Wild Bodie Tom
Wild Bunch addict

"Guilty by association"
Team BROTHEL BOYS  Co-founder
Regulator
Wild Bunch, and Wild Wimens
"Its not that I think you are dumb, Its just that so much of what you say you know is not true"

Boggus Deal

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »
Papa Grande, you'd be welcome at any match I have anything to with in that costume.
WBT, you aren't talking about Robber Baron, are you?

J. Frank Norfleet

• IXL
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
Don't worry Papa Grande, it is hard to take a guys wearing pink shirts with ruffles seriously.

I was in a rural church recently.  They had a bunch of photos on the wall from the turn of the last century.  And I marveled at the number of ranch folks wearing the newsboy caps.  Now that I know they are legal I think I will get me one.
JFN
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:38:23 PM by J. Frank Norfleet »
"Pilgrim, life is hard - It's a lot harder when you're stupid."  Marion Mitchell Morrison

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

PapaGrande

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 03:54:17 AM »
Hope ya have thick skin if ya wear that hat around anywhere Team Brothel Boys is shootin....LOL
We have kind of a former guy that we truly gave a hard time to. Just warnin ya.... Just sayin...
It won't be you, so please try to understand. Just sayin. LOL

Thanks
Bodie

What?

PapaGrande

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 04:00:56 AM »
Don't worry Papa Grande, it is hard to take a guys wearing pink shirts with ruffles seriously.

I was in a rural church recently.  They had a bunch of photos on the wall from the turn of the last century.  And I marveled at the number of ranch folks wearing the newsboy caps.  Now that I know they are legal I think I will get me one.
JFN

They're comfortable, light, keep the sun off and they won't shift on your head as you're running to the next position.  Do you know how "cowboys" dressed around here (California) around 1900?  White long-sleeved shirts which pretty much look like a man's  simple dress shirt today.  Clean at the beginning of the day and filthy by the end based on family photos.

Some wore western hats, more it seemed wore something similar to a "trilby", a derby (yes, a derby) or a newsboy cap.  The pants looked like dungarees and the boots looked like ropers or lace-up ropers.

Not at all like some of the silly CAS costumes.

Blackey Cole

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 04:37:23 AM »
Not sure what a paperboy cap is.

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 07:22:17 PM »
Bc, think George clooney in o brother where art thou. The guy that drove the getaway car in Bonnie and Clyde. James coburn in duck you sucker when he was on the motorcycle at the shows beginning.old timey golfers. The great gatsby.I think they also called them 7 panel caps. Factory workers, farmers, newsboys , rich folks,everybody wore this cap for 20-30 years in that era.  They actually had lots of different styles of this cap. Good costuming cap because it's versatile. 

Lone Dog

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 07:25:49 PM »
My dad and uncles had another name for the newsboy cap..
SASS Life, NRA Life, VFW Life, FOP Life
"All gave some, some gave all..."

evilroy

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 07:27:03 PM »
Don't worry too much about the costume thing unless it is really something that interests you.  Just read the rulebook and comply. 
Kayne Robertson, Past President of the NRA, shot with us this year in a campaign hat, dark shirt and Wranglers.  Don't remember what kind of boots. I just wore my cowboy hat, Wranglers, long sleeve shirt and Redwing work boots with smooth soles.  I kinda hate these discussions as they always sound like I should add "with matching shoulder bag and gloves".  Do remember that some do like to dress in clothes of the period, military of the period, or just wear the minimum to shoot all of which is good.  Many CAS shooters just wear their CAS clothes.  I know shooters from rural areas that wear their everyday working clothes.  Important fact here is Wild Bunch first and foremost is a shooting contest with a real power factor, smaller further out targets, as well as some close burn down stages, and lots of mag changes. Many matches will be adding military boltgun, speed matches and other side matches including shotgun to add to the appeal.  We are working on the definition of a Senor Category and will have it worked out soon.  Pretty sure it will be 65 and above and Traditional and Modern classes will have to have enough for a class before the Senior is activated. Still discussing the minimum for a class now. At EOT, the World Championships, we had World Champions in Long Range Bolt gun, speed rifle, pistol and shotgun as well as wobble trap team. Come and shoot with us.  We have lots of fun.

PapaGrande

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 02:58:32 AM »
Not sure what a paperboy cap is.

A proper "newsboy" or "8 panel" cap.  Not to be confused with similar but different "Ivy League", "flat" or "driving" cap.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 03:01:43 AM by PapaGrande »

J. Frank Norfleet

• IXL
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 06:22:22 AM »
Wonder if they come in denim to match my wranglers?
JFN
"Pilgrim, life is hard - It's a lot harder when you're stupid."  Marion Mitchell Morrison

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 07:32:33 AM »
 ;D ;Djfrank  that would be GROOVY!

evilroy

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 09:48:04 AM »
Only thing you will find out if you wear a hat without a full brim is that hot brass from your rifle will wreck your concentration when it goes down the inside your collar in the back.  I practice in a ball hat most of the time and a loose collar can be painful.  .45 brass gets very hot. A full brim hat is a real good idea.  Same for Indian type headbands or no headgear. Hot brass between your glasses and face as well.  If you can't stand cowboy action shooters and won't wear a cowboy hat think of it as a farmers hat.  Most combat shooters that shoot with us don't have a problem.  It is just a different game. Adapt.

Boggus Deal

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 09:54:22 AM »
Only thing you will find out if you wear a hat without a full brim is that hot brass from your rifle will wreck your concentration when it goes down the inside your collar in the back.  I practice in a ball hat most of the time and a loose collar can be painful.  .45 brass gets very hot. A full brim hat is a real good idea.  Same for Indian type headbands or no headgear. Hot brass between your glasses and face as well.  If you can't stand cowboy action shooters and won't wear a cowboy hat think of it as a farmers hat.  Most combat shooters that shoot with us don't have a problem.  It is just a different game. Adapt.

+1

PapaGrande

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 12:59:09 PM »

Just button-up yer collar before a run...

99% of 3Gun, USPSA and IDPA shooters wear caps and they sling a lot of brass.  Training places like Gunsite suggest a ball cap and a buttoned-up collar.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:02:22 PM by PapaGrande »