Author Topic: Adding a 97 trench gun heat shield with bayonet lug to a take down 97 legal?  (Read 16200 times)

Sgt. John Campbell

I wonder what this phrase means: "ANY EXTERNAL MODIFICATION TO ANY FIREARM NOT SPECIFICALLY REFERENCED IN THIS HANDBOOK IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED!" , from page 13 of the SASS Wild Bunch Handbook Version 7.0 - July 2014?

Those WBAS folks are just way too strict in their wanting to enforce the stated rules...I'll tell you what...I'm just gonna sulk, and then I'm gonna take my toys and go home, and never, never, ever come back...let's see how they like that
SASS #58165, RO Instructor, WBAS RO

J. Frank Norfleet

• IXL
  • WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
I wonder what this phrase means: "ANY EXTERNAL MODIFICATION TO ANY FIREARM NOT SPECIFICALLY REFERENCED IN THIS HANDBOOK IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED!" , from page 13 of the SASS Wild Bunch Handbook Version 7.0 - July 2014?

Those WBAS folks are just way too strict in their wanting to enforce the stated rules...I'll tell you what...I'm just gonna sulk, and then I'm gonna take my toys and go home, and never, never, ever come back...let's see how they like that

Now that is Amazing!!!!!
"Pilgrim, life is hard - It's a lot harder when you're stupid."  Marion Mitchell Morrison

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Sgt. John Campbell

Now that is Amazing!!!!!
Aint it though?  It's simply amazing that some folks just can't understand what's written in black and white right in front of them.  And, since they can't seem to grasp what's spelled out for them, they figure they can just ignore it...then get their knickers all tied up in a knot when they get caught doing so.
SASS #58165, RO Instructor, WBAS RO

Blackey Cole

I understand what is written in black and white but I don't understand the difference between a winchester 1897 with a heat shield and bayonet lug from winchester and a winchester 1897 that had the same heat shield with bayonet lug added after it left the factory.  What's the difference? 

J. Frank Norfleet

• IXL
  • WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
Blackey,
There is probably no difference.  The rules committee has listed the external modifications that are common to the three guns we shoot.  They have excluded all other external modifications because they don't have the time to give a yay or nay on every modification that creative minds can come up with.  Believe me, it would be a deluge.

If you must make the modification, recognize that you have illegal equipment and you can not shoot for a score.  I was a MD at a club annual Friday and a shooter declared herself illegal to me before the first round was fired.  Because of medical issues, she shoots a 20 gauge and a .32 mag Marlin, two illegal guns.  She said she was there to shoot and have fun and didn't care about the score.  I respect that and the other shooters did too.
JFN
"Pilgrim, life is hard - It's a lot harder when you're stupid."  Marion Mitchell Morrison

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Blackey Cole

My point is what makes it a trench gun is the parts not the manufacturer.  What if another importer,maker decided to make trench guns like they have with regular 97s and 87s would those be legal.  And since both my 97 s have had barrels cut and work to mark them cowboy ready prior to me getting them to use in WBAS.  How do I know one of them didn't start out as a trench gun years ago.  A butt stock swapped etc and such.

I just have a hard time seeing how adding the heat shield which is legal one one gun can be illegal on another.  It like saying your boots are illegal because you had them resoled with the soles of another legal boot.