Author Topic: Modern 1911  (Read 7876 times)

Happy Jack

• Wild Bunch Committee Chairman
Re: Modern 1911
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 01:46:45 PM »
In my considerable experience with Colt 1911's they are NOT noted for their accuracy out of the box. They shoot fine, and some shoot very accurately, but accuracy is not their strong point. If you want accuracy buy Les Baer, if you want beauty buy Ed Brown, if you want reliability and good accuracy buy Wilson. If you want reasonable accuracy and reliability try Kimber or Springfiend custom shop.  (you asked) ;)
1911's RULE !!!

Boggus Deal

• WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 01:51:27 PM »
How does Remington rifle's accuracy hold up to other rifle's accuracy? How does Beretta shotguns pattern against others? Not trying to be a smarta** but I am sure most of them will shoot well enough for our sport. As with any product, you can get a bad one. My well used Colt 1911A1 outshoots me. And as it has won a few state championships and placed in the top five of a couple national championships, I'd say its plenty accurate. We aren't shooting a bull's eye sport.

Bart Solo

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 02:13:10 PM »
Not trying to be a smarta** but I am sure most of them will shoot well enough for our sport. As with any product, you can get a bad one. My well used Colt 1911A1 outshoots me. And as it has won a few state championships and placed in the top five of a couple national championships, I'd say its plenty accurate. We aren't shooting a bull's eye sport.

You aren't being a smarta** as far as I am concerned.  I want to know about Colt accuracy.  I know this isn't bullseye, but I have found accuracy to be important in action shooting. If the gun is more accurate than the shooter then it is good enough. 

KingSnake

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 02:23:33 PM »
I shot my Ruger 1911 for 3 years in Modern WB. The gun was definitely better than the shooter.
I now shoot a Colt in Traditional and it shoots better than the shooter.
I know folks who win WB with a Les Baer and I know folks who have won WB with a RIA.
As Boggus said, "we aren't shooting Bullseye".
Over 15,000 rounds thru the Ruger with NO problems.

KingSnake

Bart Solo

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 07:49:52 AM »
King, That is one hell of an endorsement for the Ruger SR1911.   I think you might have talked me into saving $300. 

Kid Rich

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 10:16:52 AM »
I have an SR1911, 2 Colt 1911s, an Ria and I had a Kimber until my wife appropriated it. They all are very accurate but the trigger on the RIA is atrocious. The Ruger and the Colt gov't model will take about anything you feed them and are not too sensitive about being shot dirty. The RIA is very sensitive about what you feed it. kR

Bart Solo

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 03:34:20 PM »
Having done a lot of reading it seems there are a lot of good 1911s out there in the right price range.  Colt is THE name with historic cachet, but Springfield Armory, Smith and Wesson, Kimber, STI, Ruger and Remington all have good reputations.  Heck even the inexpensive Rock Island is highly regarded by a lot of shooters.  It would seem that it is kinda hard to go wrong.

I guess I need to decide if cachet of the pony is worth the extra price.  Thanks for all the good comments.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:39:35 PM by Bart Solo »

Wild Bodie Tom

• WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »
Well, I will finally chime in here.
In a NON custom gun/
There are good and not so good by all manufacturers.
I have seen many thousands of them over the years.
Bottom line if ya don't go crazy with your wallet after the fact of purchase with mods, is this.
A HORSE holds its value better. Like it or not.....
Does not mean others are not as good or perhaps even better.
Its kinda like holding an ace high royal flush poker hand...

Nuff said.

I have never lost a penny on a Colt....tax included.
Your choice on what ya shoot. Pretty much all of them can be jiggled around into a very fine gun. Or not....
Just don't be cheap on your mags..... whole nuther subject right there...
Just sayin.
Wild Bodie Tom
Wild Bunch addict

"Guilty by association"
Team BROTHEL BOYS  Co-founder
Regulator
Wild Bunch, and Wild Wimens
"Its not that I think you are dumb, Its just that so much of what you say you know is not true"

Garrison Joe

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 10:46:14 PM »
cachet - reputation
cache - a stockpile of supplies

Good luck, GJ
Good luck, GJ

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.    Col. J Cooper
Why else would you want to be here?

60708 Life/Regulator

Garrison Joe

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 10:49:09 PM »
Oh, and I have seen some lousy RIA and other Phillipie guns.  When you use parts that are MIM and sintered for fire control, you are asking for fast wear.

Good luck, GJ
Good luck, GJ

60708 Life/Regulator

Joe Lafives #5481L

• The Arizona Territorial Company of Rough Riders
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 05:29:02 PM »
Joe - what is sintered for fire control?
That may or may not be good or bad

Garrison Joe

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 08:18:50 PM »
Sintered metal - steel alloy powder pressed to rough shape, then heated under pressure almost to melting point to partially weld the grains of powder together.   Minor pocks can be seen in the surface on parts that are not well sintered.   When those pocks are on the surface of a hammer, for example, I can feel the grating as the trigger is pulled, and the wear is quicker on the parts. 

That is what my hammer and apparently the sear were made of on an early Armscorp/RIA 1911.   Fire control parts are what make up the firing controls - so, hammer, sear, trigger, disconnector, firing pin and retainer plate, some folks include the grip safety, thumb safety and slide release in the fire control category.   A failure in any of them puts the gun out of commission and possibly allows it go go full auto.

Good luck, GJ

Good luck, GJ

60708 Life/Regulator

Joe Lafives #5481L

• The Arizona Territorial Company of Rough Riders
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2014, 01:48:18 PM »
Thanks Joe - nice explaination.
That may or may not be good or bad

Bart Solo

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 06:42:01 PM »
cachet - reputation
cache - a stockpile of supplies

Good luck, GJ

You must have got alota book larnin or you is from Canada.  Where is that Garrison anyway, Montreal Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:44:24 PM by Bart Solo »

Bart Solo

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2014, 06:50:41 PM »
I don't know how their value holds up but I have done a lot of additional reading and a lot of people swear by the S&W 1911 E series. Another SA Range Officer is also attractive.