Author Topic: Model '12  (Read 5909 times)

Allie Mo

• California Gunslingers
Model '12
« on: November 19, 2014, 09:12:37 AM »
Yeah me!

I've shot my Model '12 SG and am ready to take it to a match. It is very smooth operating.

I've been having troubles with my '97s (of course, Hubby claims operator error ::) ) and hope the '12 may contribute to a smoother match.

Regards,

Allie

PS I hope any of you near the Sacramento area will attend the CA State WBAS match at Diamond Dick's Cowboy Town March 27 - 29, 2015.  :D
"If you would know a man, observe how he treats a cat." - Robert A. Heinlein

Boggus Deal

• WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
Re: Model '12
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:32:02 AM »
I know that as soon as the Model 12 was made legal, I relegated my 97 to backup status and haven't looked back!

John Boy

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 08:00:45 PM »
Allie - just rack the forearm hard both ways and your Model 12 will treat you kindly
And don't forget to rack it on the LT and put the safe on ... you know the penalty at the line if you don't  :'(
Regards
John Boy

Boggus Deal

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 08:04:41 PM »
You do NOT have to put the safety on. And you don't "have" to rack it at the loading table. You just must make sure to show that the hammer is down on an empty chamber before starting the stage.

Garrison Joe

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 07:51:38 AM »
I find more problems when I run Model 12s really hard.  IMHO, they do best when run smoothly and just firmly.  Don't panic - run one like you are just a firm master of the mechanism.

And just for completeness:
At the loading table with a Model 12, you drop the hammer by pulling the trigger.  All it takes is close action and pull trigger. 

Many folks are hanging a scarf or some other indicator from the trigger guard before they head for the line.    It's a reminder to both the TO and the shooter that the Model 12 has to be checked at the line that the hammer is down.  Take the "M12 indicator" off the gun, show the hammer has already fallen by pulling trigger, stow the indicator in your back pocket or other storage spot.

You knew that already, I would venture!

Good luck with that lovely hunk of steel and walnut!  GJ
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 07:56:33 AM by Garrison Joe »
Good luck, GJ

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.    Col. J Cooper
Why else would you want to be here?

60708 Life/Regulator

Allie Mo

• California Gunslingers
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 09:28:20 AM »
I have been practicing with it just like it would be used at a match. That includes pulling the trigger before loading. It is the same process as loading the '97 so there is no change there. Just the showing at the line. I never thought about using an indicator/reminder.

It is a beautiful gun, very pristine, unlike our '97s, which look well used.

Boggus Deal

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 10:13:54 AM »
Allie,
As bad as I hate to say it, there are T/Os who will not help you remember to declare it on the line. I consider it part of my obligation to the shooter to help them. Just like if I see they don't have a magazine in the gun or not enough on their belt. The flag is just a reminder to everybody on the line, T/O and shooter, included.
BD

Abe E.S. Corpus

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 02:34:03 PM »
I hesitate to guess at a percentage but a good number of Wild Bunch shooters are using the M12s so there is less chance that someone will overlook the staging procedure. 

Some of us even make a little game of it:

"Excuse me, Ms. RO..."

"You rang?"

"I have here a Model 12 shotgun."

"Do tell."

"I'm now pointing it down range and pulling on the trigger (demonstrating)."

"No click, no bang, you are good!"

"Thankee!"

I don't think we have had any shooter earn a stage DQ yet.

Boggus Deal

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 03:13:11 PM »
Abe, I know of one lady here local who has earned two from the same T/O. I also know of at least one at Winter Range last year. Granted, most T/Os try to help and it is ultimately, the shooter's responsibility but we get in our zone before shooting the stage and it can slip our minds as shooters. Henceforth, the flag!

Lone Dog

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 05:34:46 PM »
I could never remember to do it. But I always carry a big ole white bar towel around wit me to mop sweat etc. It now goes in the triggerguard at the lt as my "indicator"
SASS Life, NRA Life, VFW Life, FOP Life
"All gave some, some gave all..."

J. Frank Norfleet

• IXL
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 06:24:35 PM »
That is why I use a big red flag, cuz I forget.
Another thing I have stopped doing is pulling the trigger as I close the action.  There is no benefit, the hammer falls normally.  I now close the action and then pull the trigger.  That way I hear the hammer fall and I know it is down.
JFN
"Pilgrim, life is hard - It's a lot harder when you're stupid."  Marion Mitchell Morrison

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

John Boy

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 07:01:09 PM »
Boggus, your right but old habits are lasting ... I shot pumps from the age of 10 and the safety always went on before loading my Ithaca 37's after pulling the trigger
Regards
John Boy

Allie Mo

• California Gunslingers
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 10:36:58 AM »
I'm so glad I posted here. I now see the advantage to having a "flag" on the trigger guard. I know several folks who shoot 12s. I don't remember seeing the TO check the trigger lately.

Wow, Boggus! That person should not run the timer! If said TO could remember to give a DQ, s/he should remember to ask the shooter to pull the trigger before the beep, without penalty. >:(

Boggus Deal

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 10:45:55 AM »
Allie,
As I said, it's ultimately the shooter's responsibility, but if a T/O can help a shooter, they should. This was a really new shooter and quite nervous and that is exactly when I think an T/O really needs to give the shooter as much help as possible.
I have let Wild Bunch shooters start without a magazine in their 1911 and cowboy shooters start without shotgun shells on their body. I always feel bad about it after the fact.
Boggus

Tully Mars

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 01:26:39 PM »
Allie,

All Model 12 shooters I saw last weekend at GCWB declared their "model 12" and pulled the trigger for the TO. I even shot my Model 12 on a few stages and remembered to pull the trigger for the TO.

Model 12 user's seem to be catching on well to the rule of pulling the trigger for the TO, or at least it seems so to me.

Tully
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 01:30:42 PM by Tully Mars »