Author Topic: Winter Range Update  (Read 6392 times)

evilroy

• WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
Winter Range Update
« on: January 28, 2015, 11:35:23 AM »
I will try to get this sent out by WR but will post what I can here.

I think you may be able to sign up at this time. Not sure about the cutoff date.

Round count.  295 Pistol, 75 Rifle, 60 Shotgun.  Just Main Match. Bring extra for side matches, testing, malfunctions etc.  You wanted more pistol rounds so you got it.  Bring lots of mags.  30 rounds per stage is normal. One stage has 25

There will be one stage with 12 shotgun rounds so plan accordingly.

If you don't know how to shoot accurately this would be a good time to learn.  There is not one target which cannot be hit by an average shooter but there are hostage heads, plate racks, dueling trees and you will as always be shooting R targets with the pistol on most stages.  Some burn down targets as well.  Texas Jack Morales designed the stages and he does great ones.

There will be a chrono check and gun weighing.  ALSO WE WILL BE CHECKING REQUIRED GUN SAFETY FEATURES AND CLASS COMPLIANT FEATURES when we weigh the gun.  We have heard reports of non functioning grip safeties.  That would be an illegal gun.  Check the rules and comply.  We don't want to become Rule Nazis but you cannot compete with an illegal gun.

Some of you are creating very unsafe conditions with lack of muzzle control and gross violations of finger on the trigger during mag changes and especially when clearing weapons.  Practice, practice, practice safe gun handling.  This is going to have to start being more of an issue.  Get use to your firearms and work on this.

This will be a 10 stage match and most of them will let you move to the left or right to try to minimize muzzle issues.  Again PRACTICE WITH YOUR WEAPONS live and dry fire to be safe and so you can shoot the entire match.

There may be more updates so check this site regularly.

If you can help with side matches relist here asap.  I will be putting the lists together very soon so remind me or sign up in you have not.  We want the helpers to have time to shoot also so we will need backups.

We're gonna have a ball.

ER

Wild Bodie Tom

Re: Winter Range Update
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 12:57:44 PM »
Thanks Gene.

Carry on.

See ya soon.

Wild Bodie Tom
Wild Bunch addict

"Guilty by association"
Team BROTHEL BOYS  Co-founder
Regulator
Wild Bunch, and Wild Wimens
"Its not that I think you are dumb, Its just that so much of what you say you know is not true"

UnionJack

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 03:58:12 PM »
Sounds like a hoot ,I say bring on the pistol rounds!! P for plenty .!!  I will be happy to help with any side matches on either day.

Garrison Joe

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »
Garrison Joe re-upping for side match assistance.

PS: I see you did not have my name recorded on the list you posted of who was helping.  Double check, as I can help where you need me!

Thanks, Gene, you da man!  GJ
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 07:36:18 PM by Garrison Joe »
Good luck, GJ

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.    Col. J Cooper
Why else would you want to be here?

60708 Life/Regulator

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 06:05:59 PM »
ER, now that sounds like a heck of a match!  30 rounds the norm I think is giving the WB shooters what they all love and that's the 45! Dusty Boddams

Legendary Lawman

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 01:15:10 AM »
Gene

Serenity and I have signed up for the Long Range side match but can help elsewhere as well.

Legendary Lawman

J. Frank Norfleet

• IXL
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 06:13:09 AM »
Dusty, you need to pack your bags and come.  It's time to quit hiding out in Texas and come add to the fun.
JFN
"Pilgrim, life is hard - It's a lot harder when you're stupid."  Marion Mitchell Morrison

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Tully Mars

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 06:46:28 AM »
23 days and counting! This sounds like it's going to be a heck of a lot of FUN!! ER thanks for the updates and all the hard work by yourself and others!

I can do anything you want on Monday as far as side match duties. Tuesday I will only be available until 4pm and would be happy to help out until that time.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon!

Tully

Colorado Blackjack

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 02:49:18 PM »
i will help wherever you need.
cbj

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 12:02:42 PM »
Dusty, you need to pack your bags and come.  It's time to quit hiding out in Texas and come add to the fun.
JFN

Jfrank,I don't doubt for a minute that it won't be a large time! I am going to make it out that way one of these days. Dusty

J. Frank Norfleet

• IXL
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 06:27:23 PM »
Now that I've had a couple of days to digest the match, I would like to give some kudos to Texas Jack Morales and Evil Roy.  The small distant targets could be hit.  The stage with the distant dueling tree that worried me the most, I and many others shot clean.  The clusters of 10 targets were of different sizes, shapes, heights and distances and were fun to figure out how to shoot them.  I liked the added shotgun rounds and the lower rifle round count.
I really liked the 25 and 30 pistol round count.  The match really emphasized the 1911.
Thanks All!
JFN

PS The posses of 25 were just right.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:10:01 AM by J. Frank Norfleet »
"Pilgrim, life is hard - It's a lot harder when you're stupid."  Marion Mitchell Morrison

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Frederick Jackson Turner

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 04:59:22 PM »
This is excerpted from my post on the SASS Wire:

One clean match?  Sheesh.

I'm not sure exactly what we're after here in WBAS, but I was underwhelmed by the match.

Lots of shooting, to be sure, but some truly strange stage scenarios, and, it seemed to me, a bit more of a precision pistol match than an action match, just with lotsa mag changes, more than anything else.  The consensus among my group, including some very experienced shooters, from all over, was that better is out there, and this was - not a very good match.  Somehow, the stages didn't feel as if someone had run them through a match or two, just to make sure they worked.

I respect the enormous effort that goes into putting together a match on this scale, especially in a remote location!
I don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers, or step on anyone's toes, but I have shot far more enjoyable matches, and would like to see improvement, especially at the National, and World level.

Don't get me wrong; you put it out there, and I'll shoot (at) it; but I do keep hoping for better...

Respectfully,

FJT
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:56:17 PM by Frederick Jackson Turner »

Boggus Deal

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 06:37:09 AM »
I must respectfully disagree with my friend, Fredrick Jackson Turner. I felt it was a great mix of targets; big and close, small and distant. Lots of freedom for the shooter to shoot in their direction of choice. The only complaint anyone on my posse had was a lady who had a hard time with the high round count for 5 stages a day. At the end of the day, she was suffering. Maybe if it was 4 stages a day over 3 days would have helped.  I would love to shoot the match again next week, as long as I get ammo loaded and guns clean...
And in an effort to learn, FJT, what would folks liked to have seen? Different distances? Sizes? More Movement? Less movement? Most anyone that speaks to me about WBAS for more than a few seconds learns that I want to see it grow and prosper, so, I ask these questions to help.
Best,
Boggus

Wild Bodie Tom

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 09:57:14 AM »
Boggus my friend....
It to me was one of the best WB matches to date from my fence stool.
We all have a different view on what we want. Fortunately a few of us have the opportunity to present that with our involvement in matches we have input on.
  To those that have that opportunity, then present what your gut says. But also keep in mind, everywhere is different. And providing a training for whats out there, like it or not, only helps the participants a chance they may not have to get a view of what they may be subjected to.
FJT, I appreciate your comments open with open arms. Thank you.
However, the consensus is to have a tougher venue in WBAS, and always has been. If that drives folks away, then I have confidence that any shooter response sheets will be taken into consideration in that respect.
I support a 3 day, 4 stage per day venue.
However, given all the ramifications to actually pull that off, is sometimes difficult. Hopefully, those barriers can be dealt with. I know living here in AZ. ALL the effort that goes into WinterRange. There needs to be some volunteers from the WB crowd perhaps to help to provide the needed staffing into the match preparation side. IT IS A TREMENDOUS AMOUT OF WORK.
I personally thank the WinterRange group and Rangers for everything they do.

Thanks All

Bodie
Wild Bodie Tom
Wild Bunch addict

"Guilty by association"
Team BROTHEL BOYS  Co-founder
Regulator
Wild Bunch, and Wild Wimens
"Its not that I think you are dumb, Its just that so much of what you say you know is not true"

Garrison Joe

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 11:55:50 AM »
My suggestion for what I thought was a weak point of the match (the arrays of targets to be shot once each with rifle and once or multiple times each with pistol).

Spotting that "array" of targets for fast shooters in an accurate manner is almost impossible for the folks we draw to matches.  There were several 0,1,and 3 finger displays by spotters at WR for some of our faster shooters.

Do away with having to spot those kind of shooter's choice of order target sets, and go to only knockdowns.   Shooter can go as fast as they dare, all the spotters do is count the standing targets at the end.   The ultimate shooting gallery.  Yes, more knockdowns means resetting and higher target costs.  But, if we want the game to be getting better as shooters get better, then we have to upgrade our target concepts, too.

Good luck, GJ

Oh, BTW, I really like 6 stages per day, and would like to return to that.  Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  And do the side matches and warmup stages on the day before match, perhaps?    We didn't turn out many folks for side matches in the afternoon after the 5 main stages this time!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:01:24 PM by Garrison Joe »
Good luck, GJ

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.    Col. J Cooper
Why else would you want to be here?

60708 Life/Regulator