Author Topic: sticky holster  (Read 1442 times)

VICIOUS

sticky holster
« on: March 08, 2015, 07:14:27 PM »
Hi Gang; So I bought a older all smooth leather inside and out holster. The 1911 go's in with a bit of a push  but it is sticky and tight to pull out. There was a coating or something to make old leather more slippery? What have you heard or use?

J. Frank Norfleet

• IXL
  • WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
Re: sticky holster
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 07:41:16 PM »
I use KG 9 leather kote

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/oils-lubricants/leather-protectants/leather-kote-prod17159.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=KG%20PRODUCTS

A little bit goes a long way, like dip the tip of your finger in and rub all over the inside of the holster.  Re-apply to the leather when the holster starts sticking.
JFN
"Pilgrim, life is hard - It's a lot harder when you're stupid."  Marion Mitchell Morrison

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Garrison Joe

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 09:29:11 PM »
Tight holster will continue to be tight until you adjust it.  Lubes are a "coverup" of the problem. 

Wet holster down well, stick oiled pistol in a good freezer bag, shove it down deep into holster and place in a warm place to reshape the holster to your gun. 

Couple of days, custom fit to your piece, and you won't be having to lube the leather. 

Good luck, GJ
Good luck, GJ

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.    Col. J Cooper
Why else would you want to be here?

60708 Life/Regulator

VICIOUS

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 12:31:15 PM »
HI Gang; So the holster is a Realist |International 1145. I was reluctant to dip it due to the finish, but for the 5 bucks I paid what the heck. So now it is a lot better.
 Got some old mag holders that are a bit loose, where did I leave that bucket of water!