Author Topic: 73 Rifle in 45 ACP  (Read 2061 times)

Crazy Knife Al

73 Rifle in 45 ACP
« on: May 05, 2015, 11:18:56 AM »
Our Club is going to start a Wild Bunch section, so as I told the Wife, unfortunately I have to buy a new rifle.  My question is how are the Rifles shooting the 45 ACP conversion doing in the sport?  Problems or smooth sailing?

Thanks in advance

Crazy Knife Al

Kid Rich

Re: 73 Rifle in 45 ACP
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 04:42:50 PM »
Saw a couple this weekend, one had a couple of hiccups, I think the other ran fine. KR

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 06:14:31 PM »
mine run really well! Dusty Boddams

J. Frank Norfleet

• IXL
  • WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 06:31:20 PM »
Goatneck's and Dusty Boddom's both run really well.  Mine has had problems that have nothing to do with the conversion.  I think the concept is sound.  Remember you are going from a rimmed cartridge to a rimless that head-spaces on the case mouth.  So internal timing is all the more critical.

Two things I would do differently.  First, start with a new rifle.  Most of my headaches are due to using a rifle I had shot a lot for a couple years.  Second, have whoever does the conversion also do the action job.

I had mine done because I hate loading 45 Colt and I liked the idea of using the same ammo for both the pistol and the rifle.  I'd do it again.
JFN
"Pilgrim, life is hard - It's a lot harder when you're stupid."  Marion Mitchell Morrison

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 07:05:33 PM »
J frank, when I first thought of the idea of a 73 in 45 acp it was because I wanted to shoot one round out of rifle and pistol and not have to count to make sure I had enough carbine ammo. Of course it's got to be remembered that I'm not a gunsmith so I talked to some gunsmiths and they said absolutely not no way no how. Luckily I had the ability of an 6th  grade education and was able to read a tape measure. Hired the barrel set back which is critical and piece milled the rest together and as they say the rest is history. As a side note the first conversion I did was to a marlin to 45acp the second gun was the 73. The marlin had the ability to make a person drink whiskey and say naughty words! The 73 was a piece of cake by comparison. Couple of things I noticed about my conversions were they are more accurate and no blow by. What's your rifle doing?  Dusty

J. Frank Norfleet

• IXL
  • WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 10:16:48 AM »
I am replacing a broken link.
JFN
"Pilgrim, life is hard - It's a lot harder when you're stupid."  Marion Mitchell Morrison

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Mink Shoals Bandit

• KVR
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 06:57:58 PM »
I've got a "CodyMatic".... Runs a lot faster than I ever will.... Never had a problem with it either........