Author Topic: BAMM at Green Mountain Regulators, Marble Falls TX  (Read 1949 times)

Grouchy Spike

BAMM at Green Mountain Regulators, Marble Falls TX
« on: August 28, 2016, 10:00:36 PM »
GRM has incorporated a Bolt Action Military Rifle category in their monthly Long Range match since the past summer.  While the big bore shooters are cracking shots at 100, 150, 200, 250, 300 and 400 yards for a total of 18 shots, those with BAM rifles shoot the course twice at 100, 150, and 200 yards for a total of 18 shots.  This provides an opportunity to shoot BAM rifles at slightly longer range than some other BAM matches.  As the long-range targets have a center bullseye, one point is awarded for hitting steel and an additional point is awarded for hitting the bull. Ties are broken by the highest number of bullseyes. 

This category opened with two shooters, and today at the Regulators Annual Long Range match, among the fifteen shooters were six with Bolt Action Military rifles including a Krag Jorgensen, Lee Enfield, Model 96 Swedish Mauser, K31 Swiss Karbine, and Remington 03A3.

If you have an old bolt action war weapon in your safe, want to shoot it, and are within reach of Marble Falls TX, here's another match to consider!

www.greenmountainregulators.org

The Texican Rangers, between Comfort and Fredericksburg TX, also host BAMM after the Saturday main match.  While this match is now closed until January, it's another opportunity to shoot that old bolt action military rifle.

www.texicanrangers.org

Run - Hide - Call?  Forget it !  Draw - Aim - Shoot

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
Re: BAMM at Green Mountain Regulators, Marble Falls TX
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 08:31:38 AM »
 ;D GS, what a great deal! Sounds like a large time was had by all! Sounds like bamm is growing in south Texas. The war horse bolt guns have a new life with bamm. This past weekend they held a bamm/1911 match in Oklahoma using just 1911's on 4 stages and bolt guns on 2 stages. This is in addition to there regular monthly wild bunch match. We had our WB at cleburne this past Saturday and after 5 stages we took a lunch break (they had tacos at the range) and proceeded to have a 3 stage bamm. Even had a duel with bolt guns and then one bolt gun against a 94 30-30 operated by none other than the legendary sass number 93 Grif who would be considered by all to be a bonafide 94 Winchester aficionado. needless to say we stayed to long and shot to much but man what a great time. Get your bamm rifle oiled up, we will put it to good use at the state match in October. I think I caught a glimpse of that model T with the general in back...........Dusty Boddams

Lone Dog

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 01:59:15 PM »
So dammit do not leave us hangin' like that goldarn it Dusty. So did the mighty Griff spank alla y'all turn bolters or not??
SASS Life, NRA Life, VFW Life, FOP Life
"All gave some, some gave all..."

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 04:37:40 PM »
 ;D lone dog, I edged the mighty Grif out but it was so close and lotsa brass was a fly' around! Grif was using a Canadian commemorative that he had trapperized to 16" and he was fierce! Thought I was gonna have to pour water on my bolt gun AND Grif they was both so hot at the finish!  Hey what are bringing to shoot bamm with at the state match? Rumor is you got so many old bolt guns gathered up you gotta haulem on a hay wagon..... ;D.  Dusty

Goody

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 01:40:24 PM »
I don't know about quantity, but ask him to show you quality. Dawg still has the '03 Springfield he was issued in the war against the Kaiser! Him and old Blackjack whupped 'em singlehanded.

Lone Dog

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 01:51:14 PM »
unfortunately my 03 got sporterized by some bubba but it only costed me a hunnerd and 74 bucks thataway. I do still have my unmolested 1917 we put them krauts on the run with but it extracts still just fine but won't eject, the empty just hangs there hung out in space and ye have to slap it offa there afore ye kin run the bolt. I am brangin' my gamer gun K31 and my M39, 44 and at least one more Mosin. I am a big fan of the Mosins and I am hoping my new to me M39 made in 1944 by Sako might be the ticket. Might bring the 7mm Czech Mauser I dunno, there is only so much room in the RAV4 for BAMM rifleguns ...

Grouchy Spike

Re: BAM Rifles + 1911
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 09:57:23 PM »
Dusty, the OK match sounds like good fun.  Occasionally at the Texican Rangers we'll include a combat stage with 15 rounds from rifle, 10 rounds from 1911/1917, and four rounds from M97/M12.  That will pump the adrenalin!

Now that I've had cataract surgery and can SEE the targets, I hope to improve on my performance last year when I shot at a wildflower instead of a steel target.  That was sad, and I missed the wildflower too.

Lone Dog, what's the most accurate among those rifles in your arsenal?  The K31?

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 06:59:23 AM »
GS, we've done that also except 10 rounds in the rifle. Really different and lots of fun.
Now as fierce as you shot last year and being how you can see so well now I think we're going to have to get you a set of foggles as used in instrument flight training to keep it fair!😄 Glad to hear that you got that all fixed up. With you asking lone dog then I will ask you.......what's your best bamm rifle and what all are you bringing up? Dusty

Grouchy Spike

Re: Best BAMM Rifle
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 11:46:04 AM »
I temporarily gave up on the MNs, didn't have time to pursue a good load without extra effort. The M96 Swede has no recoil with 14.0 gr of 2400 and Purcella's 150 gr bullet, and it's accurate.  The O3A3 does best at long range accuracy with 32.5 gr IMR 4064 and Purcella's 170 gr bullet, but I want to use a PAST Pad for more than 20 rounds. And that thin front blade is not easy to find.  The K31 is lightning fast, accurate with 15 gr Trail Boss and Purcella's 170 gr bullet, easy to pick up the front sight, and fast on reloads with a spare magazine.  So I guess I've analyzed the features of these weapons of war to answer that the K31 is the match favorite.  Captain Jarret is wickedly fast with his.  I can't beat his speed, can't quickly kneel down and get up again, so my plan is to hit all the steel targets in whatever time it takes and not shoot any wildflowers!  I've also noticed that many K31s on Gunbroker don't usually list more than twice before selling.

I discovered a bench top shooting stick manufactured by the Long Range shooter GT Sharps with a larger base than mine and taller sticks, looks more like a piece of furniture.  Bought two at $65 each.  Once others at the Green Mountain Regulators LR match discovered that the sticks were for sale, GT sold three more immediately.  I'm thinking of becoming a sales agent for him! 

Lone Dog

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 11:57:29 AM »
ha ha Grouch I would not have any idea about accuracy. 90 percent of my BAMM arsenal remain unfired by me. The onliest one I have shot in the last coupla years is the K31 and we were having all kinds of feeding, pill pulling and powder spilling, extraction issues both times with the local grown handloads my pard made up. I do not worry about accuracy anyhow, I just like to stand there and blaze away on me hind legs with no sticks or bench or kneeling down stuff to get in the way of the good clean fun If I could get back up from off the deck seems prone would be the way to go but that boat is way over the horizon out to sea...

Grouchy Spike

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 12:52:04 PM »
Should I bring some extra 7.5x55 ammo?  I run each reloaded round through the chamber, rifle pointed into backstop.

Lone Dog

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 05:40:31 PM »
Sure thing pard, I always need ammo. Got the strippers ordered. Not sure but I may have gotten some 7.5 from Hoodoo along with some other calibers. Will have to check...

Grouchy Spike

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 09:17:14 PM »
Green Mountain Regulators are showing some more BAM rifles.  Gold Dog has jumped in with a K31 and has reloaded for it, and I hear rumors that Circuit Judge also found a K31. The spotters will be pushed to keep up with the rate of fire!