Author Topic: Model 12-adjusting hammer spring  (Read 842 times)

Abe E.S. Corpus

Model 12-adjusting hammer spring
« on: December 09, 2016, 03:31:34 PM »
I ran a search but did not see this addressed.  My Model 12 has had a little attention from a local gunsmith but I'm pretty sure he left the springs alone.  It takes more effort to cycle as compared with the two '97s I have owned so I am wondering whether the stock hammer spring can be shortened a little. 

Reliable ignition is more important to me than having the lightest and slickest gun on the range.  That said, can I safely cut a coil or two?

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
Re: Model 12-adjusting hammer spring
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 08:24:47 AM »
AC, sure you could cut off a coil. There is plenty of spring in there. Also it should be noted the bolt that holds the hammer is left handed. If you haven't had one apart apply Patients liberally ! Dusty

August West

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 09:01:24 AM »
Abe, I'm curious to know how you concluded the hammer spring was the hitch in your giddy-up.  Is your ideal of how smooth you want the gun to be realized when you cycle it with the hammer cocked?

Goatneck

• WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 09:54:09 AM »
I carry custom hammer springs and other springs also for the Model 12.  Call me

Goatneck
817 247-9982

Abe E.S. Corpus

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 07:36:49 AM »
Thanks, all.  Turns out the spring was trimmed when the action work was done.  My first main match shotgun was a Coyote Cap 1897 that was well broken in by the two or three prior owners.  It spoiled me a little.

Part of my issue is that my M12 is a later model with the larger diameter forend and grip area on the stock.  I acquired a corncob forend and plan to narrow the grip portion of the stock.  I think this will give me a better hold on the gun.