Author Topic: An interesting story about oil..or how long will your WB pistol run before clean  (Read 3188 times)

Grouchy Spike

Re: How long will your WB pistol run before cleaning
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 08:52:54 PM »
The ONLY bullets I will use anymore are Ringer's Bullets. I use his 230 grain bullets and WST powder. Every couple of weeks, I will squirt on some of the Lucas blue.  I hate, hate, hate cleaning guns. They're made to shoot! Not clean.

Hey Boggus, I found some of that miracle powder (WST) in San Saba TX, and next week or so I'll work on some reloads.  How about sharing your recipe for 230 gr bullets.

I have an unopened quart of Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer.  Is that anywhere near Lucas Red or Blue in lube performance?

Good shooting!
Run - Hide - Call?  Forget it !  Draw - Aim - Shoot

Garrison Joe

Usually 4.4 4.0 grains of WST works to give 170 PF with a 230 grain lead bullet.

And 4.7 grains with a 200 grain slug.  But each 1911 shoots a loading to slightly different velocities, so chrono it.

It's the bullet lube that I have to clean out - WST burns clean enough that I don't find much powder fouling.

Good luck, GJ

CORRECTED the 230 grain load!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:16:18 PM by Garrison Joe »
Good luck, GJ

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.    Col. J Cooper
Why else would you want to be here?

60708 Life/Regulator

Garrison Joe

I have only used WST powder for at least 20 years in 45ACP loads. It became available to the public in the early 1990's
And before it got relabeled by Winchester, with perhaps a very minor tweak of the additives, it was branded as Winchester 452AA.   Shot tons of it in trap loads in the 1970s, as well as in 1911 cast bullet loads.

Good luck, GJ 
Good luck, GJ

60708 Life/Regulator

Grouchy Spike

Thanks, GJ!

Boggus Deal

• WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
Re: How long will your WB pistol run before cleaning
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 04:11:29 AM »

I have an unopened quart of Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer.  Is that anywhere near Lucas Red or Blue in lube performance?

Good shooting!

The Red and Blue are specifically designed for firearm use. I don't know the chemical makeup but I would stick with those two and leave the Stabilizer for automotive use, except in emergency.

Grouchy Spike

Will do, thanks BD!

Joe Lafives #5481L

• The Arizona Territorial Company of Rough Riders
I've always liked Brian Enos' Slide Glide - especially in the Arizona heat.
That may or may not be good or bad

Grouchy Spike

OK, Garrison Joe.  I've loaded 100 rounds of 45 acp with 4.4 grains of WST and 230 cast bullets. I will use the Lucas Synthetic Stabilizer until I get some Lucas gun lube.  Actually I've been using it for a week or so and didn't know it, as Judge Hangin Knott has been cleaning 1911s and applied it.  I didn't check for cleanliness before he cleaned them, but he says that compared to Mobil 1 there is less soot from the Trail Boss.

Tomorrow I head for the local gun club with chrono.  Good luck at EOT!

Grouchy Spike

I decided to load 4.0 grains of WST behind the 230 so I didn't make it to the range. That happens tomorrow morning and I'll Chrono both loads 4.0 and 4.4 with 230s.

Garrison Joe

Well, that 4.4 grain load will be STIFF.  Hodgdon's max load is 4.3.   Ouch. 

Your 4.0 grain load should be plenty.   If your gun is like Hodgdon's test gun , that load will make 775 FPS, or 178 PF.

good luck, GJ   
Good luck, GJ

60708 Life/Regulator

Grouchy Spike

Well, that 4.4 grain load will be STIFF.  Hodgdon's max load is 4.3.   Ouch. 

Your 4.0 grain load should be plenty.   If your gun is like Hodgdon's test gun , that load will make 775 FPS, or 178 PF.

good luck, GJ   

Ha Ha!  GJ that 4.4 grain load WAS hot!  I was thinking that you must have tougher hands that I do, because even my support hand was hurting.  Through the chrono, the MV was 725 fps with 4.4 grains WST. 

I'd cross-checked your recommendation with Lymans Cast Bullet and 48th Manual, saw that the max load for a 225gr cast bullet was 4.7grains WST so 4.4 didn't seem out of line for a 230.

I also loaded 100 rounds with 4.0 grains upon recommendation from Dusty Boddams.

The average MV was 695 fps with 4.0 grains of WST for a PF of 160, except for two of the ten rounds indicated 621 fps, and that is alarming because the PF was 143.  When I checked powder weight while reloading on a 550B, every 10 rounds of so, the weight was spot-on at 4.0 grains.  If the MVs are averaged during a PF check, I'd be OK but if the DQ happens if ANY round is under PF I'd be SOOL.

To hedge a bit in the future, I'll use 4.1 grains and chrono on the next trip to the range.

One difference I noted between WST and Trail Boss where both are running at 695 to 700 fps:  the felt recoil impulse with Trail Boss is less.  And that's been true with TB compared to other powders in other cartridges including 7.5x55 and 45-70.

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
GS, that 621 sounds like an anomaly. My deviation is usually about 10 or so. WST is very consistent.  I don't know if something odd happened but I would repeat the test. Fred and Travis also use this exact load...... We are shooting coated bullets and getting 710 or so for a pf of 163-165

Grouchy Spike

Yes indeed, an unusual powder drop twice (that I know of), and I don't know where in the string of reloads that it happened. The reservoir is half-full of powder too.  Before I load again, I'll inspect the powder measure but that 550B has been stroking along without problems since forever.  It loads all of the 45ACP, consistent with Trail Boss.

These are not coated bullets.  I'm saving the coated ones for the important match in November!

Last Chance

Cherry Balmz black rifle grease is what i use on all my firearms. I've never experienced any product make a gun perform quite as long as this. My ar15 and sig mpx both haven't been cleaned since applied and have hundreds of rounds through each(mpx close to 900rds). My Wildbunch 1911 had not been cleaned after 14+ (25-30rds stage) stages without slowing down or hiccuping, i cleaned it before heading to EOT just to be cautious, not because it gave me a reason to do so.
Just what i use and like since this post was about gun oil and longevity.

Lone Dog

Never heard of Cherry Balmz black rifle grease. Where do you get it Last Chance? I am all about less cleaning..
SASS Life, NRA Life, VFW Life, FOP Life
"All gave some, some gave all..."