Author Topic: What would YOU suggest?  (Read 3516 times)

Back 40

• WBAS Regional Ambassador
What would YOU suggest?
« on: May 03, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »
What would YOU suggest to get more folks interested in shooting Wild Bunch?
PLEASE DO NOT START A PRAIRIE FIRE!!!

Blaze Kinkaid 253

Re: What would YOU suggest?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »
Maybe 7 rounds in the mag's & 5 shotgun in lieu of 6 as the norm.  Just saying.   :)    We already had our Prairie Fire here in Cochise County, Arizona, 48,000 acres worth, don't need anymore.  Respectfully
Member of SASS since 1988
Member of  World Fast Draw since 1958
Clubs:  Los Vaqueros
Tombstone Buscaderos
Tombstone Ghost Rider Outlaws
Tombstone Shootist Soc. W.B.
Ladder 5 Gang
I may not be as fast as I once was, but I'm as fast once as I ever was!
† "He calls me Friend" †

Kid Rich

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 06:30:24 PM »
Make it interesting, let em shoot BP in their guns.
 ;D
kR

Boggus Deal

• WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 07:15:10 PM »
 ;D
kR

You can shoot BP in your Wild Bunch guns!

Lone Dog

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 09:39:25 PM »
Maybe 7 rounds in the mag's & 5 shotgun in lieu of 6 as the norm.  Just saying.   :)    We already had our Prairie Fire here in Cochise County, Arizona, 48,000 acres worth, don't need anymore.  Respectfully

Bingo, 7 and 5 should have been the norms from the get go, how we got saddled with 5 and 6 is still the great mystery...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:22:13 AM by Lone Dog »
SASS Life, NRA Life, VFW Life, FOP Life
"All gave some, some gave all..."

Nawlins Kid

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 04:24:33 AM »
What would YOU suggest to get more folks interested in shooting Wild Bunch?
PLEASE DO NOT START A PRAIRIE FIRE!!!

Does your club have time before or after have time to let folks shoot some WB stages?

Nawlins

Kid Rich

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 08:56:05 AM »
 ;D
kR

You can shoot BP in your Wild Bunch guns!
I do.
kR

Back 40

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 10:43:43 AM »
Nawlins Kid, our SASS club shoots the second Saturday of the month.   Usually, I will hold a three stage WB match after the regular shoot.   And usually its the same folks, BUT, at least the interest is still there.

I doubt that this will ever happen, but one thing "might" be that they can't shoot .38 cal.    I try to ask folks what keeps them from shooting WB, and that is one thing I hear.   Also, the power factor.   I know, I know, it's no big deal, but it seem like it's just another "rule" that they have to abide by.   
Also, I think the fact they some of them "tried" WB earlier on and had a bad experience.   They bought a cheap 1911, cheap mags, and cheap ammo and had severe gun problems.   Those are the ones that really need some coaching, in a nice way.   
   It just seems to me that our WB sport has become stagnant.   I wish be could get more support all around.   Example:  You see a lot of WB threads on the SASS cowboy forum.   Why not have a sub forum (if that's what it's called) link like the saloon, classified and SASS team and mounted shooting links.    People say, "Well, it's NOT Cowboy"    When you think about it, it's more period correct than B Western.   And also don't forget, WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.   WHY NOT SUPORT EACH OTHERS SHOOTING SPORTS?   

DUSTY BODDAMS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 12:29:41 PM »
One thought is getting more clubs to agree to monthly matches and having it as a real WB match. It's difficult to get folks to fork over money for equipment etc. and only have a 5th  Saturday match or twice yearly etc. It could be a simple thing to drag in a set of WB distance rifle targets and use the cowboy rifle targets as WB pistol and use the same shotgun targets. Let the Cowboys shoot the stage and then let the WB loose. With five or more let them posse together and have a match! There are shooters who will WB that are not shooting cowboy now. Getting across to the clubs that this will draw shooters they would not ordinarily get means additional free income just for setting up a few more targets that are already laying around but cowboy shooters aren't using. As far as power factors, 38 rifles and everything else that is used as an excuse is just that. At our home club we have an open class allowing ANY 1911 any pump shotgun and any sass legal main match rifle.........very very rarely used. Back 40,if your having monthly matches give them an open class shoot the 38 rifles,tell all to not worry about power factors at your local monthly shoot. A preacher told me you got to get them to the church before you can baptize them. I think he had a point.  Dusty Boddams

Nawlins Kid

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »
One thought is getting more clubs to agree to monthly matches and having it as a real WB match. It's difficult to get folks to fork over money for equipment etc. and only have a 5th  Saturday match or twice yearly etc. It could be a simple thing to drag in a set of WB distance rifle targets and use the cowboy rifle targets as WB pistol and use the same shotgun targets. Let the Cowboys shoot the stage and then let the WB loose. With five or more let them posse together and have a match! There are shooters who will WB that are not shooting cowboy now. Getting across to the clubs that this will draw shooters they would not ordinarily get means additional free income just for setting up a few more targets that are already laying around but cowboy shooters aren't using. As far as power factors, 38 rifles and everything else that is used as an excuse is just that. At our home club we have an open class allowing ANY 1911 any pump shotgun and any sass legal main match rifle.........very very rarely used. Back 40,if your having monthly matches give them an open class shoot the 38 rifles,tell all to not worry about power factors at your local monthly shoot. A preacher told me you got to get them to the church before you can baptize them. I think he had a point.  Dusty Boddams

+1
We shoot the fourth Sunday of the month and allow shooters to shoot WB on the cowboy stages. It has stir interest in WB and also having folks join SASS. There is nothing wrong having a separate class for 38 cal rifles, we call it Rough Rider. That is a term we use when we teach WB RO and now there are a few clubs using it to try entice folks to come try it. As DB stated you got to get them to come first and then convert them into WB shooters.

This year at the The Nor-easter Regional we are putting on a WB mini match and it will have a Rough Rider class. It is a open class to shoot either Traditional or Modern with a legal 1911 and SG and a legal SASS 38 cal rifle. There will be only one class for men shooters and women shooters.

Nawlins

Nawlins

lostvaquero

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 02:19:21 PM »
I know buying more equipment for me put it off.  I also know the caliber question has been hashed over.  Local club allows most anything as long as SASS legal round.  Shooting the Thompson (semi) made it good for me while I get the scratch for 40+ lever.  Yes could use the 38.

7+5 is fine but not sure drag more people in.  Personally I think loosening up to other firearms might help but that is just me.  Love to see lugers and broomhandles and 1917 revolvers.  And yes other than a Sansei broomhandle and 1917 they are sub 45s. 

I agree we need to support each other. 

I did like the idea of a sub forum on the main SASS wire.  Might get a few more folks talking and interested.

Angryned

• Ain't no fool like an old fool
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 08:48:38 AM »
The local SASS club needs to have regular monthly matches. Having a core group of regular, enthusiasts Wildbunch shooters that go out their way to sell this activity to other shooters is very important.  It needs to be fun and important for others observing the Wildbunch game to see the participants having fun will do a lot to create interest...having a group of extremely serious shooters that take things way to serious may not be to inviting.

Angry Ned

Tully Mars

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 06:54:35 PM »
If we're looking to grow interest is WB I think we need to find away to draw shooters from outside of Cowboy. I have some thoughts and they all go against the mind set of what WB was intended to be.

1. Change from 5 to 7 round magazines. We'll never go locked and cocked, but we can increase the rounds closer to other sports were the 1911 is shot.

2. Add one category, "The Pistolero". Pistol and shotgun only. None of our targets are out of pistol range, besides WB is suppose to be challenging. Most shooters of IDPA or USPSA have a 1911 and shotguns are more or less reasonable compared to a match rifle. Rifle round count would need to be adjusted appropriately.

3. Consider smaller frame 1911's (Springfield EMP) chambered for 9mm, after all the 9mm has been around since 1902. This may open it up to people with smaller hands that have avoided WB because of the 1911. Yep this might mean another category (Wild Bunch Lite?) and shouldn't be an issue with knock downs.

4. Drop the power factor requirement, make it clear that the targets must go down, shooter lives with the results.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all for now.

Tully

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 09:00:22 AM by Tully Mars »

Back 40

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 07:44:01 PM »
Good points TM.   
Locked and cocked? 
Let's see:
  I shoot USPSA and we start locked and cocked.
I shoot IDPA and we start locked and cocked
I shoot 3 gun and we start locked and cocked
I shoot Action pistol and we start locked and cocked
I shoot Steel Challenge and we start locked and cocked
HELP ME UNDERSTAND
and besides, more women might shoot if we would start locked and cocked.

Dantankerous

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 08:44:03 PM »
I know buying more equipment for me put it off.  I also know the caliber question has been hashed over.  Local club allows most anything as long as SASS legal round.  Shooting the Thompson (semi) made it good for me while I get the scratch for 40+ lever.  Yes could use the 38.

7+5 is fine but not sure drag more people in.  Personally I think loosening up to other firearms might help but that is just me.  Love to see lugers and broomhandles and 1917 revolvers.  And yes other than a Sansei broomhandle and 1917 they are sub 45s. 

I agree we need to support each other. 

I did like the idea of a sub forum on the main SASS wire.  Might get a few more folks talking and interested.

Heck, I thought buying more equipment was part of the fun! :)

Lots of good ideas here.  Personally,  I just need more TIME!