Author Topic: Question on th Springfield 1903 for Garrison Joe or anyone who knows.  (Read 347 times)

Back 40

• WBAS Regional Ambassador
So what is this range of serial numbers please?   thanks

In a US arm, price ranges for good guns that will shoot well and have a Muzzle Wear of 3 or less (in other words, still several thousand rounds of barrel life left):
* Springfield 1903 - will have open rear sights, and don't buy in the range of serial numbers where there is brittle receiver possibilities --  about $800 - $1000

Garrison Joe

Hey ya, Back 40.   You didn't warn me that Shell Stuffer and you were out at EOT to CLEAN UP on us western boys!   ;D

Ok, the range of serial numbers on 1903 Springfields where the heat treat was not real well controlled, and some receivers end up brittle, was below ABOUT 810,000 on a gun made at Springfield Armory.

From a pretty definitive source of that info (CMP):
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=81770

Temperature control via pyrometer rather than eyeball started at serial 632,826.  I'd feel good trusting this number to be the low end of what I would use.

This was from:
ttps://30eca00a039f-002391.vbulletin.net/forum/military-rifles/109-springfield-1903-serial-number-date-ranges

And Rock Island Armory guns were considered weak/brittle below below 285,507.

IF you feel compelled to shoot a low serial number, you might want to keep pressures down at about 40,000 psi.

Note that the below-810,000 or 285,506 serial numbers are not allowed to be fired in CMP authorized matches.

Good luck, GJ

Good luck, GJ

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.    Col. J Cooper
Why else would you want to be here?

60708 Life/Regulator