Wild Bunch Boards > Reloading for Wild Bunch

Bullet weight

(1/2) > >>

Jorge:
I "heard" that if one were to use a 180 grain bullet, the minimum allowed, as was marked from the manufacturer, but when checked, the bullet weighed less than 180 gr. the ammo would still pass muster when checked for Power factor.  Let's say that the Power factor itself is adequate for the ammo in question.
Acceptable or unacceptable?

Thanks.

Blackfoot:
Everywhere I have been and everywhere I have heard it discussed, 179.9 is not 180. Power factor is only one factor in the formula.  For that reason most shooters that I know shoot at least a 185gr bullet.  Same goes for min power factor, 149.9 is not 150.

Blackfoot

Garrison Joe:
It would be unacceptable.  Same as a pistol that is one ounce under the limit, or a power factor that is one-tenth low.  There are no tolerances specified for the rules that set a limit. It  is a hard limit.  AND YOU WERE TOLD WRONG.

Pushing limits is a dangerous hobby.   Apply a "safety" margin in case some match does not have quite the calibration that your test equipment had.

Good luck, GJ

J. Frank Norfleet:
If it is not 180 it is not 180!
Also I have found that I get more felt recoil with lighter bullets when I make power factor.
JFN

Jorge:
I agree, that a weight limit is just that.  Weigh the bullets if necessary.
It came up because one supplier is going to stop providing 185 grain bullets (for .45 acp).  So, the choice is to use a 180 gr. or a 200 gr. bullet.
Regardless whether the bullet is lubed or coated, I have found a range from 183-188 grain in the "185 grain" bullets that I have bought from a supplier.   Yes, I weighed each bullet in a couple of boxes.   Certainly, with the 180 gr. bullets, this might be an issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version