Author Topic: My hand gets torn-up every time I shoot my 1911?  (Read 32689 times)

Grouchy Spike

Re: My hand gets torn-up every time I shoot my 1911?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 07:21:18 PM »
Even the grip safety on A1 sometimes bites me.

I don't shoot traditional very often but when I do I use BandAid Flexible or Waterproof on the web of my shooting hand.

The ToughStrip peeled off a layer of skin when I removed it.  it's one tough strip!  .
Run - Hide - Call?  Forget it !  Draw - Aim - Shoot

kid ziggy

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 10:17:53 PM »
Yup, I have a Colt WWI remake also and shoot traditional.  This problem was bad with my gun too.  I polished "fit" the safety and the back of the grip so that when the safety is depressed there are no sharp edges along the area that comes in contact with the web between thumb and finger.  No more bleeding, pinching, and gouging.  Just run your finger around the edge of the back-strap safety with it pushed down and the bottom area below the hammer and you will know where to polish.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 04:42:55 PM by kid ziggy »

Garrison Joe

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 11:25:14 PM »
Yep, Yep.  Proper relieving of the pinch point between the grip safety and the hammer tip has always made it possible to stop pinching the web of the hand.  Fixed four 1911s in that manner, couple of Colts, an RIA and a Springer.
Good luck, GJ

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.    Col. J Cooper
Why else would you want to be here?

60708 Life/Regulator