SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Irontree

1875 Parker 12ga Double barrel shotgun. SPF

SPF   Good condition Parker Bros. hammered DBL barrel 12ga.  2&3/4 chambers. Pre-1899 so no FFL shipped straight to you.

Common field grade gun. good bores with some minor pitting above the chambers. Nice patterning at 30yrds.

Prefers roll crimp or brass shells.   $345 Shipped.  If you can't get these pics to open let me know and I'll e-mule them to you.

I'll throw in an old 12ga roll crimp tool with the deal.  You'll need to hold it in a small vice because the foot broke but it still crimps a shotshell just fine.

thumbnail.jfif

thumbnail (5).jfif

thumbnail (6).jfif

thumbnail (4).jfif

thumbnail (7).jfif

thumbnail (8).jfif

thumbnail (3).jfif

thumbnail (1).jfif

thumbnail (2).jfif

thumbnail.jfif

thumbnail.jfif

Edited by Irontree
add pictures drop price

Got the pictures you sent me by email but the ones you attached in your post wouldn't open for me.

What part of the country are you in?  

About 40 miles due East of Columbus, Georgia.  But I believe I've offered to fund shipping. 

Of course I haven't a problem of skipping that cost with a FTF if you are close enough to meet.

If you have the time we could toss some clays on my range and shoot it if you'd want to.  Never opposed to doing that! :)

Edited by Irontree

What's the deal with Damascus barrels? Safe for BP?

18 hours ago, Dark Horse Charlie said:

I'm guessing Damascus barrels?

38 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

What's the deal with Damascus barrels? Safe for BP?

Im looking for a nice old hammered steel double! Nothing wrong with BP, just not my thing.

There are a few people who might shoot light load nitro from a Damascus gun but it is not recommended and considered not safe.

Black powder or substitutes is what is used by most anyone who intends to keep all ten fingers and exposed body parts.

I like a load of 70grs BP or equivalent volume of Hodgdon H-777 2fg and 1 &1/8th oz of shot.  I use AA-Winchester hulls, a standard AA-shot cup

and Winchester 209 primer.  Over shot wad card and a roll crimp.

This is also a pretty good field load for dove and quail but use #6's for hunting instead of the 8's you'd use for a SASS match.

I punch the bores after every stage with a damp wad or swab just to insure that there isn't any fowling build up if using real BP 

Edited by Irontree
add info

11 hours ago, Dark Horse Charlie said:

Im looking for a nice old hammered steel double! Nothing wrong with BP, just not my thing.

You won't find an original old hammer gun with steel barrels because steel barrels did not exist in their era.  Fluid steel wasn't invented until the 1880s and then Krupp steel in the 1890s.  Then it took a while before shotgun barrels were made from fluid or Krupp steel. Then they were considered inferior to the Damascus barrels and only used in the lowest grade guns.  Gunmakers made faux Damascus barrels by printing a pattern in steel barrels to make them look like Damascus.  

There are some cases where old double barrel shotguns have had new steel barrels made and fitted. But the process was very expensive and was only done on very high quality doubles.  Some have also been religned with steel liners.  But even then,  the receiver and other parts of the gun were made for black powder pressure so the old gun may not hold up to the beating from smokeless loads. 

The most practical way to have a hammer double that will safety shoot modern smokeless loads is to buy a modern reproduction.  

I'll throw in an old 12ga roll crimp tool with the deal.  You'll need to hold it in a small vice because the foot broke but it still crimps a shotshell just fine.

5 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

You won't find an original old hammer gun with steel barrels because steel barrels did not exist in their era.  Fluid steel wasn't invented until the 1880s and then Krupp steel in the 1890s.  Then it took a while before shotgun barrels were made from fluid or Krupp steel. Then they were considered inferior to the Damascus barrels and only used in the lowest grade guns.  Gunmakers made faux Damascus barrels by printing a pattern in steel barrels to make them look like Damascus.  

There are some cases where old double barrel shotguns have had new steel barrels made and fitted. But the process was very expensive and was only done on very high quality doubles.  Some have also been religned with steel liners.  But even then,  the receiver and other parts of the gun were made for black powder pressure so the old gun may not hold up to the beating from smokeless loads. 

The most practical way to have a hammer double that will safety shoot modern smokeless loads is to buy a modern reproduction.  

I have one like that . . . . marked   "Damascus Finish"  :)

8 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Howdy Warden, I know chances as slim for a non Damascus that old. But always have to ask. I have a nice old double from the 1920s and looking for primarily looking around that time or a little earlier. Thanks for the info

one more try...  will consider part trades too.  need to have $150 in cash to pay for parts for my Spencer project, the rest can be it trade.