SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stony Lane

Definitions of stage scenario terms

I am new (shooting since August). Is there  something out there some where that lists and defines all the terms we use in stages such as "Nevada sweep" and "Texas surrender" for example. I have learned the meaning of these, but new ones seem to always come up.

Google Cowboy glossary of sweeps". This will help you with the different sweep names.

As far as starting position terms..... There aren't that many and the stage instructions or posse marshal will explain them in detail if you need help.

Thanks for the information. The people are extremely helpful but hate to keep asking.

35 minutes ago, Stony Lane said:

Thanks for the information. The people are extremely helpful but hate to keep asking.

Don't feel bad and don't get too hung up on terms. 

Common terms get added and phased out regularly.

Stages written just a couple years ago will sound outdated and odd when read now.  The game is continually evolving and you will pick it up as you shoot.

As for sweeps, regardless of the name, make sure the posse marshal reads and demonstrates (does a Vanna) the sweep to ensure you understand it. 

The same sweep can have different names and the same name can and has been given to differing sweeps. 

And sometimes; a given sweep is just something you have never seen before and you can be forgiven for not knowing the Creeker sweep.  Tho it is awesome.

Howdy Stony, what Creeker said....too many variations to try to remember them all. The stage instructions and shooting sequence is all you will really need....Good Luck:) Oh yea, and there is a Jefro sweep;)

Thanks to everyone for the great information. As always everyone I have met in this sport is more than willing to help us newbies and make us feel a part of the group.  Just wish I had started earlier in life. Thanks again to all.

12 hours ago, Stony Lane said:

Howdy and Welcome Stony!

Don't worry. I swear, I remember the starting position and line less than half the time.

I focus on the shooting scenario and forget everything else. :blush:

Eventually, the scenarios will be easy to remember.

Happy trails,

Allie

13 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

And sometimes; a given sweep is just something you have never seen before and you can be forgiven for not knowing the Creeker sweep.  Tho it is awesome.

Have you tried the Bad Luck sweep? It's where you dump all your rounds into the backstop in under 45 seconds.

I'm with Allie Mo on starting lines.  I'll forget them about 1/2 the time and just say "I'm Ready" for the start line.  

15 hours ago, Stony Lane said:

Please don't ever feel that way.  I promise you, cross my heart, people would rather answer the same question 100 times than see you mess up a stage because you didn't understand it. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.