SASS Wire Forum
Alpo

US miltary medals ?

Are they marked, or numbered, or anything like that?

Another board, someone wants to get a Purple Heart back to the owner.

Someone linked to an organization that does that. Medals get hocked, stolen, lost, etc. And this group tries to return them.

I just wondered how.

Would it have the recipient's name on it? Or a number that can be accessed ("14468QPR9 was issued to Cpl. Frank Johnson of Atlanta Georgia", for example)?

These folks. I read their FAQs, but saw nothing about HOW they do it.

https://purpleheartsreunited.org/

Edited by Alpo

From their website

When reporting the found medal, include as much information about it as possible. Most often, Purple Hearts are engraved with the Veterans name. This normally signifies them as “Presentation Purple Hearts”, which means the Veteran was killed in combat and the government had the medal engraved and sent it to the family. However, some veterans who survived their wounds, decided to get their medals engraved in remembrance of their event, also known as “Personal Engraving”. Some Purple Hearts are not marked what soever. We still encourage people to send us these medals as some of the engraved medals we receive are badly damaged and we use original time period medals to replace missing pieces for the presentation to a family.

My Bronze Star had my name engraved on it when it was presented to me.

In Australia your name and PMKeys Number (individual identifier) is engraved on the edge or reverse depending on what medal it is.

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My Bronze Star had my name engraved on it when it was presented to me.

Mine does not.

None of my medals have any identifiers.  In fact, on more than one occasion my unit has been too cheap to actually give me the medal at all, opting to award me the certificate (which is the official proof of having earned the medal), and making me buy the medal at Clothing Sales.  

Yeah...now that I'm a battalion commander, that crap doesn't happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

None of my medals have any identifiers.  In fact, on more than one occasion my unit has been too cheap to actually give me the medal at all, opting to award me the certificate (which is the official proof of having earned the medal), and making me buy the medal at Clothing Sales.  

Yeah...now that I'm a battalion commander, that crap doesn't happen.

Actually the certificate isn’t official proof. You have been able to get those faked for years. There should be orders signed by the CO in your 201 file.

Not getting the actual tin was pretty common in my day. “We’re all ou. You’ll get it at your next duty station” was the most used explanation.:rolleyes:

39 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Actually the certificate isn’t official proof. You have been able to get those faked for years. There should be orders signed by the CO in your 201 file.

Not getting the actual tin was pretty common in my day. “We’re all ou. You’ll get it at your next duty station” was the most used explanation.:rolleyes:

WOW!

And I don't mean that in a good way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Nope, sorry.  The 201 file doesn't exist anymore; everything is digitized in a system called iPERMS.  The official document of record (i.e. "proof") of the medal is not the DA Form 638 signed by the commander, it's the award certificate.  The 638s don't even get entered into iPERMS.

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Nope, sorry.  The 201 file doesn't exist anymore; everything is digitized in a system called iPERMS.  The official document of record (i.e. "proof") of the medal is not the DA Form 638 signed by the commander, it's the award certificate.  The 638s don't even get entered into iPERMS.

Well what a wonderful improvement. Ain't computers great>? Not.

3 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

WOW!

And I don't mean that in a good way.

My dad only got his good conduct medal when he mustered out. I had to get replacements for the Pacific Campaign, Victory Medal and American Campaign medals.

And I thought the Canadian government was stingy about awarding gallantry medals; at least our service men got their campaign medals.

Howdy,

Some time I gotta ask my ranger if he has the paperwork on his medals...

I bet it would stop a .223 at least.

Best

CR

10 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Is there still a DD214?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Is there still a DD214?

Good question. 

The other day my wife found her Father's discharge papers from 1918. It was not a DD 214. 

Interesting read though. 

9 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Is there still a DD214?

Always!!!  I have five of them :) (but they are all digitized like I mentioned previously).

A lot of folks think the DD214 means you've been released from the service, but that is not true.  It means you've been released from *active duty*.  So when I went from active duty to Army Reserves, I received a DD214.  Then when I got activated four different times I received another one each time.  

I received 2 DD214s. The first was my first reenlistment. The Navy then stopped doing them for reenlistments. Got my second when I transfered to the Fleet Reserve. At the 30 year mark I received a letter stating that I was officially retired.

From The American War Library on line.

Common myths about the Purple Heart.

"All military medals are issued with the name of the recipient engraved on the back of the medal.

Not true. Only in very rare cases are medals officially issued with the engraved name of the recipient. However, recipients and family members are authorized to have medals engraved with the name of the legally authorized recipient. Medals currently issued by the Military Records Center and military units are not engraved except in very rare instances. Medal applicants may not, repeat not, request an engraved medal from the Records Center or any military branch. Engraving, when done, is done only rarely by those military commands that both possess engraving equipment and available personnel to perform the task."

Edited by Utah Bob #35998

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I had to dig to find these from my collection of British Decorations and Medals.

Perhaps some pards south of the Medicine Line have heard of these, but few, perhaps, have seen them.

The crosses, except for the Victoria Cross and The George Cross, (Top row, left) are traditionally awarded only to officers and, except for the VC and the GC are presented unnamed.

The coin shaped medals are the awarded to enlisted ranks and are named on the edges.

In our tradition, those awarded these decorations use the initials of the award following their name.

Left Shadow box; Top row, from left to right, The Victoria Cross (VC), The George Cross (GC), the Distinguished Service Order (DSO), The Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) for the Navy, Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) Air Force, the Military Cross with second award bar (MC) Army, the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (CGC) a recently created award to all ranks, all branches of the service,  the Air Force Cross (AFC) Air Force

The second shadow box; top row, from the left; the George Medal (GM), The Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) Army, the Distinguished Service Medal (DCM) Navy, the Military Medal (MM) Army, the Distinguished Flying Medal (DFM) Air Force, the Air Force Medal, (AFM) Air Force, and the Meritorious Service Medal (MSM)

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

Edited by Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474
spelling
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 11:07 AM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Distinguished lying Medal (DFM) Air Force

This one made me laugh.  Are the fellas in the airforce accomplished liars? 

If someone has multiple medals, do they usually list them all after their name, or just the highest honor? 

41 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

If someone has multiple medals, do they usually list them all after their name, or just the highest honor? 

Well....I do know an ex fighter pilot. Just sayin.

He's not Canadian though.

He went on to the airlines after the war. I asked him once if he ever did any Air Racing.

"Just while tryin to get out of North Vietnamese air space", he said.:lol:

• Haha 1

In the Navy we called the Good Conduct Medal an award for 4 years of undetected crime.

6 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

HA HA!! :lol: 

If you listened to some of the tales I've heard in the Legion Halls, or the mess on a Friday night, you might think that, but no. I had a fumble fingers.

In the case of multiple awards, they are listed in order of precedence, I.E. Group Captain So and so, DSO, DFC

My Father was C.L. Kid Sr, MBE, CD.