SASS Wire Forum
Delilah Lynch

What's on Your Head? Wool Hat Cleaning and ReShaping

Howdy y'all!

Have any of you made your own hats? I found this wool hat 2nd hand and thought it would be a great costume piece. It's a Laura Ashley from the 1980's with lots of potential so I thought I might breathe new life into it. I went online and looked up how to steam clean it and how to press in my own creases. Found some really interesting information on open crown hats and how most wool hats came with an open crown (basically what you see in the 1st photo) and that folks would press in seams and shape them according to their own style preference. Perfect! Now all I need is a nice band, any suggestions?

IMG_4916.JPG

IMG_4927.JPG

I don't have a steamer but there's a shop in town that specializes in hats that does a great job cleaning and shaping. If you like that shape there's a hardener that you can use that will help hold it in place.

• Like 1

Crazy Crow has some beaded hat bands.  Tandy leather has some webbing that looks like beads - called "1/2 " hitched webbing".  Or you can take up loom beading and make your own.  You need around 21" of what ever you choose to use.

Just now saw this thread.  Very nice hat and work!  I picked up a black derby hat recently, and in the spirit of being historically accurate, I’ll be sewing some grosgrain hat bands with a discreet bow (and even more discreet piece of elastic behind the bow, to keep the hat band snug on the hat).  The hat bands will be different colors, and I’ll swap them out depending on what color shirt / vest I’m wearing that day. 

Edited by Sgt. Saywut