SASS Wire Forum
Chili Ron

way OT: plez recommend an accurate .380???

Howdy,

There seems to be a boatload of conceal carry guns on the market today.

I figure if I give up knockdown power I need a good measure of accurate.....

So who makes a  real accurate .380?

Or should I just go with a keltec or ruger lcp/r and forget being

very accurate?

Ive seen .22 pistols that can be accurate way out but I dont

figure a 6 inch barrel is going to work on conceal carry.

Best

CR

and thanks for putting up with me during the past week.

a computer crash on top of medical problems...

I just hope I used up some bad luck for this year...

:)

I have a Colt Mustang pocketlite, the new edition not the old one, and it's accurate as all get out at least at 15 feet or so. It's got that great single action trigger which helps alot. I carry it locked and locked!

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

I have a Bersa Thunderer that is the most accurate and  reliable .380 I've ever owned. Also as big and heavy as my Kahr .45, might as well get a 9mm. I also have a CZ 82? the 9mm mak version,  that is a great gun and I believe the CZ 83 is the .380 version. I have a Keltec .32 that is hard to keep on target, but found with a laser I hit every time. Problem is in my experience lasers are unreliable and can't be seen on bright days, at least the red ones can't.

I've got the Kimber Micro 380 and am very pleased.  I carry it in a Sneaky Pete holster.  I'm also looking at the Kimber Micro 9mm, which isn't much larger than the 380.  It's along the lines of the Colt Mustang, so, a baby 1911.

Edited by Clueless Bob
  • Like 2

I have a Sig Sauer P238 that is small, but surprisingly accurate.  Everyone who has shot my little Sig is impressed at how well they shoot this small pistol.  My nephew says he shoots it as well as his full size autoloaders, and better than some.  Love the sights on this gun and I'm convinced that is part of the reason it's so accurate.  The sight glow nicely in the dark.  I might also add that this is a very reliable pistol.  I think it's the best 380 Auto on the market.

Sig Sauer P238 SAS in 380 Auto

N2XGvh.jpg

mJH4lP.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Clueless Bob said:

I've got the Kimber Micro 380 and am very pleased.  I carry it in a Sneaky Pete holster.  I'm also looking at the Kimber Micro 9mm, which isn't much larger than the 380.  It's along the lines of the Colt Mustang, so, a baby 1911.

Bob, I also carry my Sig P238 in a Sneaky Pete holster.  Nobody has ever asked or wondered if I was carrying a pistol in a holster that looks like it's holding an electronic device.  It's concealed carry in plain sight.

• Like 1

How much accuracy do you really need at OHHOLYCARP!!! range?  You're not shooting 50 yard Bullseye. 

Like as not if you need to unlimber your sidearm you will be shooting at less than 5 yards, very quickly, and your first few shots you will be pointing and not aligning the sights.  If you don't need to pull the bang switch, you will be pointing it at a thug who, when he saw you draw, surrendered and is now begging you to not shoot him.  To him it will look like a cannon with a laser-guided round ready to hit the bridge of his nose. 

Yes, it is nice to have something with a 3" barrel that can shoot the hind leg off a gnat at 100 yards, but if you need to pull the trigger you will be shooting at a target the size of a large cantaloupe at less than 25 feet.  Your heart will be pounding like a jackhammer, your focus will be narrow, you will be shaking all over.   

Get what fits your hand best.  

• Like 1

I had to unlimber my 380 from the Sneaky Pete once while on a walk with my dog.  A javelina female made a short charge toward me to protect her little one.  I pulled the pistol and lined up the sights on the pig's head....and backed away slowly.  No harm - no foul. 

https://imageshack.com/a/img923/6821/9zl3Xo.jpg

-

Edited by Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663

My Walter PP is dead on I have shot snakes and armadillos with it 

Small .380's are hard to control and uncomfortable to shoot. Sights are going to be minuscule and sight radius is going to be very short. But larger .380's are the size of micro-9's anymore, so...

The Bersa Thunder .380 is one of the best deals going. The Sig 232 and 238 are hard to beat. The Beretta 84 (double stack) or 85 (single stack) are also two of the most reliable and most accurate, but big for .380's.

I parked my .380's in favor of a Kahr CM9.

• Like 1

Never found any other .380 that could out shoot my Walther PPK/S.

Bought mine back when they were sold under the S&W banner.

The .380 is a good 'get off me' gun. POOR choice as a primary SD handgun.

OLG

Edited by The Original Lumpy Gritz
  • Like 1

I recently got a Ruger LCP (first model) and the gun is very nice to carry,  It's a bitch to shoot, though.  Room on the grip for a finger and a half, the trigger pull is atrocious, and the recoil is very uncomfortable.  If your hand isn't up against the frame at the rear it can twist up and bust the bejabbers out of the first knuckle on your thumb.

I'll find a buyer for the LCP and go back to my Colt Government Model .380.  It's heavier and a tad bigger than the Ruger (or any of the later Colt variations).  After a light action job and some after market parts by Rowdy Yates, mostly replacing the plastic trigger and some internal stuff... it's dead reliable, easy to use, and capable of "minute of bad guy's face" accurate at 30-50 feet.

Looking for some new NOVX ammo in .380... if it's out on the market yet... and a decent holster.

Kahr P380, it has real sights, a match grade barrel and a very good DAO trigger and recoil is less the then Kel-Tec P32 it replaced as a micro gun.  If it shoots as well as the Kahr PM9 I own, then it will keep most of the shots on a K-5 target at 50 yards off hand  (9 out of 12 rounds and the misses were definitely my fault).  Since it is a locked breech gun and not a straight blow back, recoil is much less the PPK/Makarov type guns.

Edited by Chantry
  • Like 1

I have an LC-380 ~ comfortable it is, accurate it ain't.  But it is what it is and does what it's designed for.  Actually prefer the LCRx, but I just like wheel guns...

A couple of hundred bucks more, but I'm impressed as all get-out with the Kid's P238.  That thing's built like a Swiss watch!  And it's more accurate than I think it has a right to be.  

My vote goes to the Sig. I've carried one for years and love it. It's actually pleasant to shoot and has sights that are actually useful. Great gun!

Howdy,

Looks like I need to git my hands on a Sig P238.

An some rounds downrange.

Best

CR

• Like 1

Need to second the Kim ber Micro 380.  Fits the hand, it's reliable and accurate.  Heads and shoulders above the Keltec I used to carry.

3 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Best

CR

When you go to the gun store to look at the P238 also look at the P938. Identical in almost every detail including size but shoots 9MM very accurate and shooter friendly. I went from the LCP Ruger to the P938 years ago. Love it! 

• Thanks 1

To be realistic, the most important concern that you will have in a shooting situation is that your

pistol fires rapidly and  reliably. Accuracy difference between short barreled .380s at close distance is minimal. We’re talking a few feet to the target, not bulls eye competition stuff.

The pistol must shoot when you pull the trigger and continue to shoot until you don’t want it to. 

Unless you are an experienced swat team member, extensively trained in accurate fire under high stress when hostages may be involved and you might need a head shot, the pinpoint accuracy of your pocket pistol is not a great factor.

Get a gun that you can fire with comfort and confidence. Practice at realistic distances.

Edited by Utah Bob #35998
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I should add that on my Sig P238 the slide is very easy to rack.  My wife has no problems with the slide.  Women do like the P238. 

• Like 2

I agree on the Sig P238. Top quality. Very reliable. Mine goes lots of places with me. A nice compact comfort factor...

15 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I should add that on my Sig P238 the slide is very easy to rack.  My wife has no problems with the slide.  Women do like the P238. 

Women who LIKE it will shoot it, train with it, and carry it over a gun they might have more physical difficulties operating.

Many people find the manual safety, albeit a 1911 style action, on the P238 gives them a safety/comfortability over a pocket gun with no manual safety.

9 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I have a Sig Sauer P238 that is small, but surprisingly accurate.  Everyone who has shot my little Sig is impressed at how well they shoot this small pistol.  My nephew says he shoots it as well as his full size autoloaders, and better than some.  Love the sights on this gun and I'm convinced that is part of the reason it's so accurate.  The sight glow nicely in the dark.  I might also add that this is a very reliable pistol.  I think it's the best 380 Auto on the market.

Sig Sauer P238 SAS in 380 Auto

N2XGvh.jpg

mJH4lP.jpg

This is the experience my wife had as well. A bit snappy with personal defense ammo but still quite controllable.

I liked it enough that I got the slightly larger 938 in 9mm.

Inside the waist band or just in a pocket holster, pretty much invisible.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

The sig p238 and the colt mustang are basically the same gun.

Essentially.  But it's like comparing a Chevy Tahoe to a Cadillac Escalade. 

I own neither, but have shot both.  Both are nice.  One's noticeably nicer, in my opinion.  

37 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Essentially.  But it's like comparing a Chevy Tahoe to a Cadillac Escalade. 

I own neither, but have shot both.  Both are nice.  One's noticeably nicer, in my opinion.  

So...

How does the Escalade shoot?

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

So...

How does the Escalade shoot?

Dunno... never shot one.  But I'd rather have the Sig ~ IT shoots GREAT!  :lol:

• Haha 1

Howdy,

I think shooting a Tahoe and a caddy sounds like the most

expensive compare I ever heard of.  ;)

Best

CR

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

But it's like comparing a Chevy Tahoe to a Cadillac Escalade. 

I own neither, but have shot both.  Both are nice.

37 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Dunno... never shot one.  But I'd rather have the Sig ~ IT shoots GREAT!  :lol:

But .... 

You SAID you had shot one!

Doh!  *#-o d'oh!

It might be fun to shoot a Tahoe and an Escalade... but I have shot a Mustang and a P238.  

Mebbe one could shoot a Tahoe and an Escalade with a Mustang and a Sig!  whistling

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Best

CR

Chili Ron, just FYI.

https://grabagun.com/sig-p238sas-380acp-2-7-6rd-dt-ns.html

https://grabagun.com/search/?q=sig+sauer+p238#q=sig sauer p238

-

Edited by Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663

I have shot a few .380 pistols and the best one that I have found for accuracy, handling and ease of use is the Remington RM380. 

PROS:

It fits my hand well.

It does not hurt to shoot it. If you don’t know what I mean shoot a Kel-Tek P3AT or a Ruger LCP gen 1. They will put a sting to you.

Trigger pull is long but no stacking.

It’s DAO and has second strike capability.

It has and aluminum frame.

The sights are small but usable.

It is accurate enough.

It has mag release from either side.

It has digested every round with not 1 issue in nearly 500 rounds so far.

It shoots a wide variety of ammo well. Coincidentally it excels when firing premium Remington ammo.

Remington Ultimate Defense ammo in this little gun is a perfect match. It also really likes Blazer  Brass ammo too. But it shoots all ammo well.

CONS:

The long Trigger pull takes some getting use to.

Sights are a bit hard to see in dim light.

Accessories and holsters made just for this gun are hard to come by.

Crimson Trace has a laser and sticky pocket holster combo that I may get for the RM380.

I actually enjoy shooting this little gun. That right there is a good thing. I despised my Kel-Tec. I called it the “little bast***”. I sold that thing.

Also, I wanted a metal frame so options were limited. Before firing the Remmies I was looking at a PPK or a Bersa. Both nice guns as well.

The RM380 is the Rohrbaugh design only they are reasonably priced. I got mine on sale for $300.

They come with 2 magazines. One with a standard baseplate and one with the pinky extension. The grip is such that I actually like the flat bottomed standard magazine better.

If you can rent guns at a range near you I would highly recommend you rent some pistols and fire them. I was on the verge of relenting and buying either the Glock 42 or the S&W Body Guard. I am so glad I rented the Remington.

Good Luck in your search.

I had a bersa .380 for years, it was an accurate and reliable weapon they do have more weight than most out there now, i believe it was sixgun shorty that used to tout the rohrbaugh guns, they are well made but on the higher priced side