SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chili Ron

way OT: plez recommend an accurate .380???

3 hours ago, Dead River Den, SASS#915 said:

I had a bersa .380 for years, it was an accurate and reliable weapon they do have more weight than most out there now, i believe it was sixgun shorty that used to tout the rohrbaugh guns, they are well made but on the higher priced side

Remington bought out Rohrbaugh for the rights to the design. I am real glad they did. Wonderful little shooter. 

All this talk about Sig 238's inspired me to take mine out to the range - a quick trip, given the cold.

But enough to remind me that the top edges of the magazine are sharp little devils, and if you don't want to slice off your thumb tips while reloading, think about either a little file/stone work or a Baby UpLula.

I really like this pistol.

Took your hints and ordered a Sneaky Pete holster, as well as a couple of spare magazines.

LL

I carried a Colt Mustang for years .

Loved the little 1911 design 380 .

BUT !

Carrying a Pistol cocked and locked in my front pocket pointed at my junk never set good with me .

I'm a 1911 fan boy and always will be .

I just did not care for cocked and locked in my front pocket.

I settled on  the  S&W MP Bodyguard with Tritium  Big dot sights .

( No Laser ) 380 for pocket carry .

Long hard trigger pull and NO cocked and locked .

No safety to switch off after pulling out of the pocket .

And a true double action like a revolver .

With practice its a very accurate pistol .

And with in legal shooting distance , She is deadly accurate .

I owned  several 380 over the years  including the Mustang , LCP original and LCP ll , Keltec , Bersa Thunder ,

Berretta  Cheetah  ,PPK and a Makarov .

All are good guns .

But out of them all .

I prefer the S&W MP Bodyguard for pocket carry .

Brett Black .

For what it's worth I never carry in a pocket. Only in a well designed holster that I practice with.

Howdy,

Isnt it too bad we have so many fine choices?

Best

CR

Quick visual comparison... my LC380 and the Kid's P238.

Although smaller, the Sig (stainless frame HD* model) weighs in about three ounces heavier than the Ruger ~ but it feels good.  It's significantly more solid feeling, very comfortable, shoots well...  and the tritium "SIGLITE Night Sights" are terrific!  :)

*The alloy framed models are about five ounces lighter - 15.2 vs 20.5.  That might be a deciding factor for some - I personally prefer the heavier version, but that's just me.. and it's still lighter than a PPK.

5a5cd3914214a_RandS380sc.thumb.jpg.674ada4f3e6d8a8020cb26f6571279e3.jpg

Howdy Hardpan,

Did you try alloy vs steel shooting side by side?

I guess I could buy both and sell the one I don't like?????????????????????

Best

CR

Howdy,

So I need to try the p238 steel and the p238 alloy and the rm380

and the m&p bodyguard and what else?

Best

CR

Carried a Ruger LCP for awhile, it fit perfectly in the hip pocket of my wranglers. Accuracy was acceptable out to 25 feet, hurt to shoot it esp. with +p . No fun for plinking. Don't care for the .380 round but any gun is better than no gun. Switched to a Kimber 9 mm with an iwb tuckable holster. Much better. bit more trouble to put on, but not a lot.

The O'Meara Himself

Howdy,

maybe this........

ajslingshot.jpg

I agree with Birdgun Quail.  I have the Sig P238 and love it.  Comfortable carry, smooth action and amazingly accurate for a 380.

I currently carry a bersa thunder 380 in my pocket.  But this past weekend I bought a little 9mm to replace it.  Once I get some range time I will be making the switch.  Walther CCP, Ruger Security 9, and FMK 9C1 all give you 9mm in about the same size package.  And with the last 2, you even get hi cap magazines (though that does mean they're a little thicker). 

On 1/15/2018 at 7:05 AM, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

So I need to try the p238 steel and the p238 alloy and the rm380

and the m&p bodyguard and what else?

Best

CR

Do you have a shooting range near you where you can rent guns? That would help you a great deal.

Out of that nifty list that UB posted the link for I shot only 5 .380's on that list but handled a few more of them.

My top choice out of them all (ones I fired and ones that I handled) was the RM380, BUT (there is always a but)

My reason for picking the Remmie was it felt good in my hand and did not "bite" me anywhere. In reality many shooters would think the Remmie's long trigger pull would be a deal breaker. It does have a long double action pull that does take some getting used to. Had I gone with the "Joneses" - what everyone else liked without firing a shot I may have ended up with a Ruger LCP or the S&W Bodyguard. Both are too small for me to shoot consistently or accurately. I kept having to adjust my hold. I did end up buying a Kel-Tec 380 on others recommendations and hated that thing with the first pull of the trigger. Too much recoil and it bit my trigger finger. When I adjusted it in my hand trying to keep my finger from getting pinched it bit the web of my hand. Also, had I gone with others recommendations I would have never fired the Remmie because everyone said the trigger pull was atrocious (it's long but smooth). Even the guy that rented me the RM380 told me not to waste my $10 rental fee on that gun and that if I waited a few minutes a lady that rented the Kel-Tec would be returning t to the counter and that I should rent that, He didn't know that I had owned one and got rid of it. Had I taken his advice, and the advice of others, I wouldn't have found my favorite little gun.

If you can find a way to shoot the guns on your short list I would spend some time and money and shoot them before buying.

Howdy,

I'm thinkin of trying to get a conceal carry day at our local range.

Might go run it by folks at the club.

It might get some folks to do business with dealers who help with the event.

Just a thought.

maybe .....

Best

CR

PPK or PPK/S   I've had a dozen .380's from Beretta, S&W, Ruger, Kahr and some others.  Nothing beats the PPK  PPK/S.

I even have a PPK/S I just picked up with a Crimson Trace.  Bought it at an auction sight and they didn't realize it had the Crimson Trace.  First one I've ever shot and it's OK.  I'm not a lazer guy but it is neat.  If I had only one, it'd be my regular PPK/S.

Wife went through dozens before she got her Glock42. As soon as she picked it up she said, "This is the one." Shoots the crap out of it for going on two years with no issues. Dumps the magazine inside a playing card at 7 yards. Downside is that at the next CAS match she is still in Glock mode, and forgets to cock her Ruger after the buzzer for that first shot. Gives all a good chuckle.

Howdy,

Rugers are good but not quite that good.

Best

CR

Chili, if you haven't worked out with a snub gun, you better start practicing. Brings to mind a shooting range started a competition called Pocket Carry Assoc. Rules were close to IDPA. There was a bunch of shooters embarrassed that day. Those short barreled, light weight, heavy trigger guns are hard to conquer. Never handled or shot one but I am biased towards the Sig. Carried a 1911 lw Commander for over 50 years.

Pat, try that Rem 380 with one hand target style. That darn thing will bite the crap out of the index/trigger finger with the trigger guard. Death grip might help. 

S&W-642Airweight-Crimson-150972.jpg

Winchester Silver tip.jpg

Howdy Red Cent,

I knew there was something about u I liked.

Ive had a commander for years.

I bought it from a friend who ....well enuf of that.

Have you ever shot a 1911 in 9mm?

Such a smooth easy package.

I always get asked if it s fer sail when I let others shoot it.

Especially wimminfolks.

I just refer em to Springfield of course.

Best

CR

Howdy,

Any things to look for problems with the Bersa Thunder .380.

One pard seemed to like it and it was accurate.

Best

CR

I pocket carry as its easy to just drop a holster/gun in my jeans without having to deal with a belt holster. My main concern is Coyotes when walking my dog. We have open carry here in WV, but its sort of tacky in my neighborhood, though some folks do it.  Anyhow now carry a S&W Bodyguard (380) because of its double action trigger. Have added some rubber grip tape. Just don't trust my finger when pulling a striker-fired pistol from my pocket. I still have a Ruger LC9 Pro (striker pistol) , but never pocket carried it with a chambered round.

Anyhow, I never worry about super accuracy or recoil with pocket guns. Shoot a magazine load of Underwood XTP's monthly at 7 yards; good enough. My only issue with the Bodyguard is racking the tiny/thin slide. I rotate magazines monthly and now rack it using a work glove. Figure if I ever have to rack it in an extreme situation, I'll deal with the hand cuts later.

If I ever need to carry for a serious situation, will carry a Glock 20 in 10mm using a Blade Tec OWB holster and some serious loads.

Church Key

The Sig P238 is expensive however it's built like a small tank and has the significant benefit of a slide my wife can work. As pointed out,  it has a safety since its essentially a baby 1911,  which she likes.  It's also really fun to shoot, accurate too, for a shorty.

The Mustang interests me, but I have never handled one.

If I carried a .380 this Sig would be it.  Every other .380 I've owned, I ended up trading.

Sheriff Langston.  

Howdy,

That little Sig sure has its fan club.

Best

CR

How is Sig for factory support?

Any pards have any sort of problems that were handled by Sig?

Ive dealt with Glock and Ruger, both really good.

I guess I could maybe try Sig once......

CR,

I have a Sig P320 which was "recalled" for a product improvement.  It was a very easy process initiated by them.  

I have no issue with their customer service to this point.  

SL.

Howdy,

Should I go 9 vs ,380?

Best

CR

Chili Ron, I prefer the 9mm over the 380 Auto.  In this thread, you asked about 380 Auto and I showed you my Sig Sauer P238.  Now I will show you my 9mm; a S&W M&P Shield.  The Shield is a little bigger than my P238, but it is the pistol I carry concealed most of the time.  I have never had a failure of any type with my S&W Shield, and I have well over 1000 rounds through it.  It is inexpensive at around $300.   That's less than half the price of my Sig P238.  And I shoot the Shield well.  If you are looking for a reliable, inexpensive, 9mm pistol, you can't do better than a S&W Shield.

S&W M&P 9 Shield in 9mm.

da8Jel.jpg

jSvZ3l.jpg

On 2/24/2018 at 8:04 AM, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Should I go 9 vs ,380?

Best

CR

That's the decision i recently made.  I was carrying a bersa in .380.  I bought a ruger security 9 a month ago and once I'm satisfied it's broken in and reliable, I'll be making the switch.  The ruger is a little bigger but it still fits in my pocket.  It even fits in the larger pocket holster I had the bersa in most of the time. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.