SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Joaquin Shootist

Light 12 gauge reloads

I'm looking for 12 gauge loads that with recreate the Winchester low recoil low noise round. Or even a lighter load. My petite Daughter tried out shotgun and even with correct shooting position coaching she thought the gun "hurt". That was with a short stock Baikal double with a Kickezz pad. I'm having a short stock with pad made for my 97 and we will give that a try since it is heavier and should recoil less.

I have searched on the internet and can't find data for loads like this. I have Clays powder, AA hulls and WAA12L wads along with primers and shot. If anyone can point me to a link with loads or PM me your favorite I would really appreciate it as would my Daughter.

SJS

Pm coming using Clays/AA/WAA12L

Good luck, GJ

PM send using any hull/Clays or Clay Dot/pink claybuster wads

this will reset an inertial trigger

reduce the powder for double trigger

I suggest she wear a Past shoulder pad under her blouse or dress.  I always had a sore or bruised shoulder after shooting a couple of boxes of target loads through my Remi 1100.  I now wear a Past pad when shooting more than a box in a session.

We have a recipe using Promo.  Let me know if you'd like it and I'll send it to you via PM

11 minutes ago, Outrider Outlaw said:

We have a recipe using Promo.  Let me know if you'd like it and I'll send it to you via PM

I admit I haven’t heard of Promo before.   How’s that recipe compare to Featherlites?

33 minutes ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

I admit I haven’t heard of Promo before.   How’s that recipe compare to Featherlites?

All I can say is we (the wife and I) like it.  It has been a while since I have shot the Featherlites, but if I were to venture I guess I'd say that our load with Promo is actually a little gentler than the Featherlites.  We both shoot them out of 97's.

Consider putting a mercury recoil suppressor in the butt stock of the 97. It will help reduce the recoil.

If you are willing to use black powder or one of the substitutes you can reduce the loads more safely than using smokeless powders.  The cleanup on a side-by-side isn’t bad at all. You can get 12 gauge loads down to nearly .410 level recoil, and still take most targets down.  Choke will have some bearing on success with very light shot charges, more so than powder charge.  If you are interested in experimenting in this direction, I can send suggestions via PM.

2 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

If you are willing to use black powder or one of the substitutes you can reduce the loads more safely than using smokeless powders.  The cleanup on a side-by-side isn’t bad at all. You can get 12 gauge loads down to nearly .410 level recoil, and still take most targets down.  Choke will have some bearing on success with very light shot charges, more so than powder charge.  If you are interested in experimenting in this direction, I can send suggestions via PM.

SJS,

This is the way to go.  Lots of noise, but little recoil.  I shoot 2-1/2 dram loads and they're nice and soft, though people often ask me if I'm shooting a cannon.  :)

Plastic wads will require a bit more cleaning, though it's not bad.  I use fiber wads and when I get home I just stick the muzzle in a bucket of water (cold so it doesn't flash rust) and after only 4 or 5 passes with a brush, I pull a boresnake  soaked in Ballistol through it and I'm done.  Don't let anyone tell you how "hard" it is to clean after shooting black powder.

Thanks Pards for all the info. I have a Hornady 366 I recently purchased as I want to be in control of my ammo supply. So I will try the smokeless solutions first.

I will say I am intrigued by Black Powder. We have several shooters locally that shoot the Black very well including my Pards Southpaw Gringo and German Jim.

OLG - I have used Unique in pistol ammo. It was a favorite of mine for accuracy work in 38 and 9mm.

J-Bar - Please send the PM on the info on the Black Powder.

John Henry - Thanks for the scattergun cleaning info.

SJS

My petite Daughter tried out shotgun and even with correct shooting position coaching she thought the gun "hurt". That was with a short stock Baikal double with a Kickezz pad. I'm having a short stock with pad made for my 97 and we will give that a try since it is heavier and should recoil less.

Shootist - change the butt plate on the shotgun from a 'shotgun' plate to a curved plate.  She will find the 'felt recoil' will be less ... with any load she shoots

1 hour ago, San Joaquin Shootist said:

Thanks Pards for all the info. I have a Hornady 366 I recently purchased as I want to be in control of my ammo supply. So I will try the smokeless solutions first.

I will say I am intrigued by Black Powder. We have several shooters locally that shoot the Black very well including my Pards Southpaw Gringo and German Jim.

OLG - I have used Unique in pistol ammo. It was a favorite of mine for accuracy work in 38 and 9mm.

J-Bar - Please send the PM on the info on the Black Powder.

John Henry - Thanks for the scattergun cleaning info.

SJS

Tried sending you the PM, but it looks like your mailbox is full.  Let me know when to try again! 

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Tried sending you the PM, but it looks like your mailbox is full.  Let me know when to try again! 

Thanks for the heads up. Inbox cleared.

SJS

PM sent.

If all else fails,  just don't shoot the shotgun.  We have it come up at our local matches from time to time and it's not been problem.  Much better to have her participate than get turned off by being kicked by the shotgun.  

Pm sent

I've been using Alliant X Tra Lite powder on a366 & working out real good..

Largo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.