SASS Wire Forum
Grayrock, SASS #64093

GOT SOME: 38 Long Colt loading dies wanted

I got some .38 Long Colt brass and started to load them up. Thought I could use my .38 Special dies. I was wrong. I got through the whole process OK up until time to crimp. Cartridge was too short. So I guess I need to find another set of dies. Looking for a 3 piece carbide die set to reload .38 Long Colt. If anyone has an old unused set laying around I would pay you a fair price for them. Track of the Wolf has the Lee set for $37 plus shipping. If I can't find any here they are my plan "B". Thanks

Well, this is new to me! I was just getting ready to load some up for the first time, & I thought the same thing. 

So, the bullet set die worked okay?

I load 38 Long Colt all the time with 38 spl / 357 dies

On the crimp station I use a Dillon Accu Crimp die... It will even crimp a 38 Short Colt

So, the bullet set die worked okay?

I have the RCBS 3 piece die set. The carbide sizing die worked fine. The decapping /flaring die would not work to flare (these were new unprimed cases (thanks, Dawg)) because the decapping pin was too long. It bottomed out on the case. But I removed the pin and collar and then was able to flare adequately. The last die, bullet seat/ crimp was able to seat ok, but would not crimp. 

I would suggest just getting 9mm expanding, seating , and crimping dies and a 38 special sizing die from RCBS or Hornady.

I had this suggestion given to me. If this would work I could kill 2 birds and also be ready to reload 9mm.

I've used a set of Lee .38sp dies for over 20 years and they've never loaded anything but .38 long colt.  Just a 10th of an inch difference between the two. 

Just adjust them back and forth as to whether I'm loading and crimping a .358 dia inside lubed bullet or a .378 dia heeled bullet and crimping 

with a die made just for the heeled bullets.

Most of my reloading  dies are 10 to 25 years old.

Have they taken out the ability to adjust the decapping pins and the throater plugs in the newer stuff? 

20 hours ago, Grayrock, SASS #64093 said:

I had this suggestion given to me. If this would work I could kill 2 birds and also be ready to reload 9mm.

I load and shoot a lot of 38 shorts. I’ve been happy with the Lee 38 Short & 38 Long colt die set sold by Lee. ($35.00?)

I’ve got them in a 650 toolhead and works great.

Regards,

Ringer

I load 38 short colts all the time ...

You are right ... the 38 special factory crimp die won't touch the short cases ... UNLESS ... you unscrew the top of the die and drop in a spacer on top of the crimping sleeve. :ph34r:

Went with ebay. $36 and free shipping. Be here by the weekend! Sometimes ebay comes through! Thanks y'all for all the responses.