SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Runamuck, SASS #49216L

Uberti Taylors & Co Cattleman Black Powder Revolver

New in box Cattleman Black Powder ONLY .44 Cal Revolver. Very nice Case hardening.  4 3/4" barrel. 

$350 now $320 plus shipping or can deliver to Winter Range

NOTE: This revolver is not legal to use in SASS sanctioned matches. 

We know  for sure it is not allowed in Frontiersman category. Some have posted opinions that it is legal in other categories, I don't know for sure, buyer will need to investigate the legality if planning on using in SASS sanctioned matches.

thumbnail_IMG_14212.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1420.jpg

7 minutes ago, Brett Black said:

Not to ask a stupid question. 

But why is this gun NOT Legal to use in SASS ?

That’s a good question.

It's not legal for Frontiersman being a cap and ball of a more modern style.

BECAUSE!!  The Wild Bunch didn't like it.

Jim is right, it's only frontiersman it's banned from.. ok for all other categories.. I had a pair, never shot SASS with them because I was told the same false info that they weren't allowed so I sold them. I wish I had kept them...

2 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

It's not legal for Frontiersman being a cap and ball of a more modern style.

Pg 10 in shooters handbook....... Not legal for Frontiersman! 

What caliber is it.  .44-40 or .44 Special.   

Or did I miss that part?

By the way, a most excellent price..

3 minutes ago, Cat Cummings SASS #1870L said:

What caliber is it.  .44-40 or .44 Special.   

Or did I miss that part?

By the way, a most excellent price..

Neither....its a cap and ball gun.

Notice the cut outs on the cylinders and the nipples there.....

Before somebody asks, NO. Don't try it.

I had, let's say "a friend" who had one of these one time, and had the bright idea of converting it to .45 Colt. The percussion firing pin is ground off-center and goes through an off-center hole in the recoil shield, specifically to prevent someone from circumventing the law, buying a C&B revolver and just installing a .45 Colt cylinder. Or so "he" thought, at the time. The flaw in this logic is the convertible cylinders on the market for every C&B revolver made today. Well, maybe not all of 'em, but you get the point. Anyway, "he" installed a centerfire firing pin, then egged out the hole in the recoil shield to the side a little so the firing pin would go through it. A Uberti .45 Colt cylinder dropped right in, so "he" put a couple rounds in, stepped out the door, thumbed the hammer back, and touched it off. Thumbed it back again, pulled the trigger... nothing...? "He" opened the loading gate and saw the head of a case with no primer...? "He" had inadvertently made a full-auto single action revolver. The hole was large enough for the primer to deform and blow back through the hole, recocking the hammer and dropping it again as long as the trigger was held back. :blink: "He" reinstalled the original cylinder and firing pin and shot it as a C&B thereafter. ;) Probably lucky they aren't calling "him" Lucky one-eye.

If a person had the knowledge and equipment, a bushing could be installed in the recoil shield or the hole welded over, re-cut, and re-tempered, but most of us don't have the skill for such a thing.

Uberti.jpg

We know  for sure it is not allowed in Frontiersman category. Some have posted opinions that it is legal in other categories, I don't know for sure, buyer will need to investigate the legality if planning on using in SASS sanctioned matches.

Absolutely legal in all other categories!  If one could find conversion cylinder it would shoot .45 cal like .45 colt or Schofield.  I have a '75 Remington replica that was cap 'n' ball!!  I can weld and do simple machine operations.  Make of that what you will....

10 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

If one could find conversion cylinder it would shoot .45 cal like .45 colt or Schofield.

No, it won't. See my post above. ;)

Yes, actually, it would!! A “conversion cylinder “ would compensate for the offset hammer and , like the R&D cylinders, furnish a seperate firing pin for each chamber. 

My statement was in answer to the question about what caliber cartridge it would fire. 

Don’t confuse a replacement cartridge cylinder with a “conversion cylinder”. I bought a replacement cartridge cylider for my cap ‘n’ ball ‘75 and did the work. It shoots.45 Colt.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.