SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

O. P. Hanna, SASS #17282

fs: Winchester 1876, 45-60

Okay, I've decided to sell my Winchester 76.  I really doubt anyone wants this for Cowboy Shooting, but if you're like me,  you fell in love with old Winchesters and Marlins after getting involved in the sport.  So, here's what I have.

A Winchester 1876, 45-60, very nice condition with lots of bluing. Manufactured in 1882 complete with a factory letter from 1978. I bought this from the person whose name is on the letter and he had it for almost 40 years. You'll see that this has a lot of bluing remaining, and that the caliber on the bottom is clear and easy to read, not worn off like most. The bore is in very nice condition and the action is nice and smooth. 

(P.S. Please don't write if all you want to do is complain about this rifle, which is what I've discovered on other posts.  The gun is almost 136 years old so yes, it does have wear.)

Asking $6,700, including shipping in the continental US.

1.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg3.jpg

Gotta admit.....that's REALLY COOL and a GREAT looking rifle for it's age!! Love old guns with history. If only they could talk.

14 minutes ago, Doc Ironbeard said:

Gotta admit.....that's REALLY COOL and a GREAT looking rifle for it's age!! Love old guns with history. If only they could talk.

And if only I could afford them!

49 minutes ago, Doc Ironbeard said:

It does talk...One shot at a time...But I would have agree...To know the who, what and where...Yes that could be very interesting...With any old firearm...

TL

Yes, it is a very neat rifle.  And knowing the history would be great.  I'm pretty sure Buffalo Bill Cody owned it at one time. :-) 

Thank you.

I love this and wish I could afford it. A buddy of mine that’s been shooting since the very early days of sass told me back then you could buy orginal 76’s for less than uberti 73’s. I wish he had bought some and put one away for me

I'm working on tracing an authenticated Custer Little Big Horn serial numbered, (all serial numbers match) 1874 Colt "Peacemaker",  that's been in our family for the last three generations and was probably a battle field take away or liberated pistol. It was purchased by my wife's grandfather from a U.S. Deputy Marshall in the Oklahoma Territories a little after the turn of the last century. :o Boy would I love to know the full history that pistol could tell!!

There's just a certain magic and mystery to these old irons. Just wish I had the funds to collect more of 'em.

On 2/17/2018 at 1:53 PM, Brett Black said:

Just out of curiosity do you use shortened 45/70 brass to make the ammo for this gun

Well, if I was to shoot it, that's exactly what I would do.  I have every intention to shoot this, but never did.  Just too many other things.

I appreciate the comments on this rifle.  It is very neat, and compared to many '76s you'll find, has a lot of blue.  The action is nice and smooth as you would expect.  The fellow I bought this from was not a shooter at all.  The way I remember the story he had the chance to by this, or a revolver, for the same money, so bought this because "it was bigger."  He stuck it in his closet for 40 years, finally getting it out and bringing it to a gun show where he walked around with it.  I bought it from him this on August 9, 2008 which means it's been put away for at least 50 years.  I have decided it's time to let it go.  I believe I'm asking a fair price based on recent auction selling prices (not asking), but as with everything price is negotiable.

On 2/16/2018 at 3:38 PM, Redwood Kid said:

I love this and wish I could afford it. A buddy of mine that’s been shooting since the very early days of sass told me back then you could buy orginal 76’s for less than uberti 73’s. I wish he had bought some and put one away for me

Is SASS that old?

I hope I look that good when I'm that old!  :D

2 hours ago, Brazos John said:

I hope I look that good when I'm that old!  :D

You know you walked into this one...You don't look that good now...:P

Texas Lizard

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.