SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buffalo Sam Peed #66990

WTB (testing the waters) 71/72 Open tops 38 or 45

Thinking of playing with either Classic Cowboy or Duelist and using open tops(always liked the looks of them). Just thought I'd see what is available out here before I go to new.  Not wanting the 7 1/2" barrels. So if you have some safe queens or just thinking of something new for yourself let me know.  

sending you a PM

The cool thing about open tops is you can swap out barrels. Heck even cylinders. I bought mine with 5.5” barrel and later decided I liked the 7.5” better and got one. 

49 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

The cool thing about open tops is you can swap out barrels. Heck even cylinders. I bought mine with 5.5” barrel and later decided I liked the 7.5” better and got one. 

I just got me a couple pairs in different calibers and barrel lengths :lol:

FYI .

You need to watch out on the 45's .

They are known for splitting the forcing cone .

Most say don't go bigger then the 44 calibers .

Brett Black 

I"ve got a like new, in the box 1871 (with loading gate) Uberti in 45 S&W (Schofield)  with a 8" barrel for $400+ shipping

2 hours ago, Brett Black said:

FYI .

Brett Black 

Who says? I've been shooting a pair for 6-7 years with pretty stout black powder loads and occasionally factory smokeless loads, thousands of rounds through each and never had an issue. Also have a set of Richards conversions that I have put more rounds through than my opentops. Both in .45 colt

Rafe

2 hours ago, Brett Black said:

FYI .

Brett Black 

8 minutes ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Who says? I've been shooting a pair for 6-7 years with pretty stout black powder loads and occasionally factory smokeless loads, thousands of rounds through each and never had an issue. Also have a set of Richards conversions that I have put more rounds through than my opentops. Both in .45 colt

Rafe

I believe this was a problem with some of the first versions from Uberti. From what I have read, the problem has been fixed for quite some time. It seems it's easier to fix issues like this than to correct internet rumors.

3 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

I believe this was a problem with some of the first versions from Uberti. From what I have read, the problem has been fixed for quite some time. It seems it's easier to fix issues like this than to correct internet rumors.

Not much of a rumor when you have seen a hand full of them failed all in 45 .

It's pretty well known to been a issue only in 45's 

26 minutes ago, Brett Black said:

That would be true if today was 1998 and not 2018

Next you’ll be telling me colt is made with uberti parts. 

I have a pair in 38 and a pair in 45. Been shooting them for at least 10 years steadily, no issues. They are my go-to black powder cartridge pistols, because of the gas ring incorporated into the cylinder and the ease of cleaning & repair in general.

Enjoy!

LQ

1 hour ago, Brett Black said:

The forcing cone cracking?? Is that a new boogie man regarding open tops? I thought the most common was the cylinders splitting at the bolt notches? ;)

I'm not saying that either hasn't happened, just that its not as prevalent as the ol intent might lead us to believe! The forcing cone area on 1871/ 1872 style guns is very well constructed, similar to the SAA guns that were developed from the 1872 types. the RM style open tops also have sufficient thickness in the forcing cone IMO.

Its entirely possible that there have been failures at some point, but if these modern built historical reproductions are shot with standard pressure cowboy loads its a very isolated event. The failures that often get mentioned are usually attributed to higher powered loads which aren't CAS legal from the get go.

All my open tops are 45 caliber, and crack free with real gun powder, subs, and smokeless.

If your looking for style point... OPEN TOPS  will get you noticed!  { plus the added excitement of all the flying pieces and parts when your shooting } :lol:

Buffalo Sam Peed, 

I don’t have open tops for you, just glad to see you are still kicking and shooting!  Here’s hoping we posse together soon! :D

7 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

The forcing cone cracking?? Is that a new boogie man regarding open tops? I thought the most common was the cylinders splitting at the bolt notches? ;)

I'm not saying that either hasn't happened, just that its not as prevalent as the ol intent might lead us to believe! The forcing cone area on 1871/ 1872 style guns is very well constructed, similar to the SAA guns that were developed from the 1872 types. the RM style open tops also have sufficient thickness in the forcing cone IMO.

Its entirely possible that there have been failures at some point, but if these modern built historical reproductions are shot with standard pressure cowboy loads its a very isolated event. The failures that often get mentioned are usually attributed to higher powered loads which aren't CAS legal from the get go.

All my open tops are 45 caliber, and crack free with real gun powder, subs, and smokeless.

If your looking for style point... OPEN TOPS  will get you noticed!  { plus the added excitement of all the flying pieces and parts when your shooting } :lol:

Glad to hear the issue has been corrected. 

I bought mine in 44 Colt many moons ago because of the issue with the 45's .

Glad I did because the 44 Colt is pretty close to original as you can buy .

I stand corrected and apologize for any miss information. 

I was just trying to keep a fellow shooter from having regrets . 

Brett Black 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.