SASS Wire Forum
Smoky Pistols

Duelist vs Gunfighter

So as not to hijack the Frontier Gunfighter thread I figured I'd start a new one.  Only being in SASS a little over a year, I'd like to know what caused you to choose your particular style of shooting, whatever it is?  I understand the aged based categories, and B-western, etc..., but why choose double duelist over gunfighter or duelist.  Is one faster than the other, do you find one more fun than the other, is it due to physical limitations (can't hit s4lt with either hand).  What say the forum?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mods-Should probably move to the saloon-I'll think next time, I swear!

I shot Traditional style for years... better yet.. Double Traditional.. (Drew Left Gun with Left Hand, Cocked with Right, Drew Right Gun with Right Hand, Cocked with Left).. So I was already using both hands.. as a joke a buddy of mine and me decided at one of our Charity Shoots to try Gunfighter. He hated it, and I figured out I could actually do it...

Soo... from that day on, I have shot nothing but Gunfighter... dropped me down the rankings a bit at first but I have climbed back up. Love it.. I wish I would have started shooting Gunfighter earlier!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Mods-Should probably move to the saloon-I'll think next time, I swear!

This is fine in the SASS Wire. It's about Cowboy Action Shooting. No problem... :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was accustomed to shooting a handgun with both hands so I started in an age based category.  I later switched to Gunfighter hoping to do better in category standings and just for the sake of variety and learning a new skill.

By the way, there is no Double Duelist category. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I started my second yr shooting gf, because i thot it was the coolest...  

duelist,  dbl duelist that is, is sooo cool because of transitions that open up for a duelist

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

I started my second yr shooting gf, because i thot it was the coolest...  

duelist,  dbl duelist that is, is sooo cool because of transitions that open up for a duelist

Could you expand on that?  I'm not sure what you mean.

I switched to [double] duelist (from traditional) because I thought I'd have a better chance in an upcoming competition (I ain't sayin' which one) -- HA!  I'm probably wrong about that, but I've been having a ton of fun playing with different draw/holster sequences with both guns. On some stages, I'll switch which pistol I draw first if I need to hit more difficult targets first (strong hand vs off-hand).

I've only shot a total of 7 matches (3 as duelist), so I'm still pretty new, but I'm liking duelist. I've tried practicing gunfighter, but I haven't been able to get my brain to nail down the cock/aim/fire sequence with both hands at the same time. I'm sure with some practice it would come, but I'll stick with duelist for now.

• Thanks 1

Duelist is coolist :D

I'm not (yet) screwed up enough in my head, to shoot GF.........:lol::lol:

OLG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I shot gunfighter my second match and haven't looked back since. I have tried double duelist a couple of times simply because I wanted to play in Classic Cowboy. Turns out I need to shoot my guns gunfighter or it seems like minutes between shots. I have small thumbs and use full cases of bp in 45 colt and let the recoil bring the hammer of my colts under my thumb. I shoot and cock the hammer as I am aiming to shoot the second gun. When shooting duelist, I feel like I have time to step away and make a sandwich in between shots. It's a pity too, since I like the guns, clothes, and calibers of classic cowboy. Plus I have seen some really good duelists that know how to always have one hand doing something while the other is shooting. It's a true art to see. Maybe if I ever decide to drop down to 45 schofield or even 44 russian, but until then I am going to stick with FCGF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Before I started shooting Cowboy action I always practiced shooting both left handed and right handed with both rifle and pistol for instances when I am clearing a room and I come to left hand corner or a right hand corner. When I started Cowboy action since I already knew I could shoot with my weak hand I started out as a gunfighter and have never shot any other style because I think it is a lot more fun shooting sweeps gunfighter style. I do shoot duelist when I can't shoot a stage gunfighter. And in some team shoots I will shoot traditional.

• Thanks 1

I shoot GF because 'I are one'..... ;)

GF style just fell into place the first time I picked up my pistols and starting cocking and shooting with both hands.

In my opinion, a good duelist (double duelist) can be just as fast as a good GF, due to great transition skills.

I like watching both Duelist and GF in competition.

..........Widder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Could you expand on that?  I'm not sure what you mean.

Double Duelist is shooting the left pistol with the left hand and right pistol with the right hand.  I started and still shoot Duelist because I never saw movie cowboys using two hands.  I chose Double Duelist because I figure it's more competitive due to the extra transition possibilities.

Edited by Shooting Bull
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

think of a monkey swinging thru the trees,,,,, hands are always moving, one is holding, the other is reaching for a dbl duelist

no wasted time holstering if done right

• Thanks 1

I shot FCGF for about 4 years with .44-40's and C&B and I loved it, but I'm finding that arthritis and my lower level of practice recently make me feel that shooting with my weak hand is not altogether safe, so I have been shooting Frontiersman (Duelist) for the past year and while my times aren't what they used to be (never impressive in the first place), I feel safer and therefore I enjoy my time on the firing line more.

44 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

think of a monkey swinging thru the trees,,,,,

I was wondering when you'd seen me shoot then I remembered all that bling you were wearing at Winter Range. :lol:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I tried shooting double duelist, I really did. What I found is my left hand is basically a useless stump, so I gave up and went back to duelist with a cross draw. For me, this is faster than transferring a gun to my "useful" hand. Plus, I don't care for two-handed grip shooting

Edited by Abilene Slim SASS 81783
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I started this game shooting duelist because I never saw tv or movie cowboys shooting two handed. I am somewhat ambidextrous, so I started shooting double duelist and then went gunfighter and never looked back.

I started out in Traditional, then switched to duelist because I never felt comfortable shooting a single action with two hands. After being gifted a double strong side holster rig, I forced myself to start shooting double duelist to avoid having to pass my left hand revolver to my right hand to shoot and back to re holster. From there, all it took was a few practice double draws in the mirror to convince me that gunfighter looked coolest of all, and I haven’t looked back since. I love it. 

I shoot Double Duelist most of the time .

Im a slow and simple kind of Man .

I think Gunfighter to Kool as heck .

I just cant wrap my mind around Gunfighter .

So I shoot Double Duelist B)

Rooster 

• Like 1

I've been shooting duelist since I started, I did Classic Cowboy, FCD and regular and Sr. Duelist. I even shoot my modern guns duelist. It's just the way it is!

Rye Miles, a proud Pistolero!!;)

• Like 3

Like most of the gunfighters, I started out duel duelist. In my 2nd year shooting cowboy I tried gunfighter and loved it. It took a little while to get used to thinking through the stages as a gunfighter but it mostly comes naturally now. I still only shoot my pistols alternating but sometime soon I'll get brave and try modified sequences when the stage lends itself to it.

The different shooting styles are one of the great features of CAS. You can shoot just about any way you want. I'm not sure a lot of other shooting sports are set up that way.

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Duelist is coolist :D

I'm not (yet) screwed up enough in my head, to shoot GF.........:lol::lol:

OLG

Yeah you are.

• Haha 2

I tried double duelist for a short time and after watching some pards who are gunfighters I tried it and liked it. Training my left hand is an on going process but it’s getting better.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've been shooting duelist since I started, I did Classic Cowboy, FCD and regular and Sr. Duelist. I even shoot my modern guns duelist. It's just the way it is!

Rye Miles, Gun Fighter has a ring to it.

• Haha 1

I started shooting traditional but as I sped up my accuracy went downhill and I started having a lot of misses.  I thought maybe I needed to slow down a bit and work on getting accuracy back but I just couldn't slow myself down!  So, I tried double duelist just to slow myself down.  I never thought I could shoot with my weak hand but it came natural, and as I continue to speed up, I haven't lost any accuracy (at least not yet ;)).  I've been shooting for a little over 4 years and switched to double duelist about 7 months ago.  I have no desire to go back to two handed.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I prefer double duelist style and like Rye said duelist is the way I typically shoot. I shot a Long Range Pistol side match at an Annual Match once and after the first shot the cowboy running that event said "you can shoot 2-handed" and I said "no I can't"  Once you get used to duelist it's hard to shoot 2-handed.

Randy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gunfighter is definitely a faster category because it gives you the flexibility of shooting duelist it gunfighter style so you get to choose the fastest method for each stage. 

I've always shot guns with both hands.  With defensive handguns, I'd practice lefty just in case my right hand was incapacitated.  While hunting in stands, sometimes the shot is the other direction.  So I practiced rifles with both hands too.  Heck, I think I shoot a little better lefty, it just feels more comfortable righty.  So when I started SASS, by the second match I was double duelist because it felt natural.  Once I got a chance to practice gunfighter, I realized it was even MORE natural and just made sense to me.  So I've been GF ever since. 

Not too long ago I almost got kicked out of a range for shooting GF style.  I'd completely forgotten that people have an irrational belief that it's dangerous. 

Well if the sequence is fairly simple I will sometimes shoot gunfighter.  I use top breaks and with arthritic wrist and carpal tunnel the guns are a bit too heavy for me to go more than a sequence or two.  When I can though it is fun and I think a bit faster than shoot holster draw shoot.  Looking at some 32 single six that might be easier on the wrist.

I shot my first two matches supported style.  

Changed to Duelist (double Duelist) and shot that way for a few years.

"Almost" won the overall at a couple of small (very small) annual matches shooting Duelist and determined that I could better my overall placements shooting Gunfighter. 

Moved to Gunfighter and have never looked back (other than considering a foray into B Western and I would shoot GF then as well)

Got bored of shooting two handed, went duelist then worked out I can transition better with double duelist 

I started shooting duelist with my strong hand and two strong hand hooters - one on each side because that's the holsters I had. It got old real quick having the TO yell at me "DON'T FORGET TO TUTN!", every time I reached for my revolver on my left side. So when I got my leather made, I had three holsters made, right, left and crossdraw.  I've never used the crossdraw.  For then next several matches I shot double duelist. No more TO yelling at me "DON'T FORGET TO TURN!".  Then I practiced gunfighter and have been practicing ever since. 

I could always “see” the GF pattern... I liked watching GFs... so I tried it on a whim at TN - I shoot BW and you can shoot any styleyou want - so I Shot GF. Its made me a better shooter, too. I was missing with my left hand so during the winter I shot double Duelist to practice. That’s fun too. 

Big hugs,

Scarlett

I shoot duelist due to injuries to my left hand and wrist. I don't have the dexterity to make me feel safe shooting with my left hand. I really enjoy watching the Gunfighters and wish I could do it myself. 

Started out in this game shooting two handed, but just did not seem right for me. 

You can't deny that some of them two handed shooters are damn fast. That's cool too. To each his own.