SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smoky Pistols

Duelist vs Gunfighter

When I started I shot two handed as that was how I always shot pistols. I shot GF in one match years ago just to try it. I did OK but I just did not feel comfortable with it. Since I enjoy shooting either an aged base or B-Western category, depending on what firearms I want to shoot in that match, I stay with two handed that I feel comfortable with. 

Like most I started out shooting traditional. Then I realized that I was the only one I was competing against as everyone else was in aged based, GF, or Duelist. I can't shoot well with my left so I started shooting Duelist. Been doing that ever since. Now that I'm shooting Duelist the rest of the club have moved on to aged based. I'm not old enough for that. That said, I'm having a blast in Duelist so I think I'll stick with it. Makes Outlaw a lot easier too.

If you're shooting duelist the Pistoleros are always accepting new members. Just ask Rye Miles or me how to join.

I started shooting traditional, then realized I had a bit of natural talent shooting duelist. I dabbled in duelist for a couple of years, then switched to duelist last year after Winter Range. I was having a ball and improving my abilities until an injury in my left arm caused some problems. I started shouting traditional again while I figure out what works. Once I get my long guns under control l plan to get back to being a duelist. 

1 hour ago, Dorado said:

Like most I started out shooting traditional. Then I realized that I was the only one I was competing against as everyone else was in aged based, GF, or Duelist. I can't shoot well with my left so I started shooting Duelist. Been doing that ever since. Now that I'm shooting Duelist the rest of the club have moved on to aged based. I'm not old enough for that. That said, I'm having a blast in Duelist so I think I'll stick with it. Makes Outlaw a lot easier too.

If you're shooting duelist the Pistoleros are always accepting new members. Just ask Rye Miles or me how to join.

I still have about 3 or 4 pins left. Should we get more? How many do you have! I just sold 5 on FB today to duelist SASS shooters.

Check out the facebook page The Pistoleros!!!

I chose "Double" Duelist style for a few reasons.

First, I don't shoot any pistols 2 handed, but especially not ones that were designed to be shot one handed.

Second, since I have a pistol on each hip, and two perfectly functional hands, what other way would I do it?  The idea of drawing and swapping hands, and then swapping back to reholster just seemed, I don't know, wrong to me somehow.

Thirdly, I am predominately a left handed shooter, but I can use my right just as easily.   I can't prove this, of course, but I have a feeling that southpaws for some reason find it easier to learn to use their right hand than it is for righties to use the left.

Fourthly, shooting one handed is just cooler.

Fifthly, if you plan to try gunfighter someday, it's a great way to practice for it.

Sixthly, there is no sixth reason

Seventhly, it's fun.

42 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I can't prove this, of course, but I have a feeling that southpaws for some reason find it easier to learn to use their right hand than it is for righties to use the left.

I'm sure you're right.  Our youngest son is left handed and has had to adapt to most things being designed for right handed people. 

13 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I tried double duelist for a short time and after watching some pards who are gunfighters I tried it and liked it. Training my left hand is an on going process but it’s getting better.

If you truly are working to improve your weak hand performance try the advice I was given; do everyday tasks with your weak hand.  Especially bathroom tasks like brushing your teeth, brushing your hair (assuming you're not folically challenged like I am), using toilet paper, etc.  Do those things with your weak hand for a while and you'll be amazed at how well you start shooting with that hand.

Shooting 'two-handed' is for girls! :o  Just kidding!!!

I have never shot traditional, even in practice.

My Pard who got me started last fall is a Gun Fighter.

First, this is cowboy shooting so I wanted to shoot like one.

Second, my job required me to shoot both left and right handed. I wasn't that good leftist as most people experience. So I wanted to improve what I was not that good at. Long Hunter said if your not comfortable doing something, it means you need to practice that more. So I started Double Duelist.

I'm in Stage IV renal failure and have serious 'brain fog'. There is a lot to think about, and you have to learn to count to five. Duelist is slow, but I wanted to shoot both hands. So I went Gunfighter real quick. It was soooo much easier to shoot stages and transitions and you only need to count to ten! It's like shooting rifle with pistols.

I had vascular surgery three weeks ago and  had to shoot two matches Gunfighter (Josey Wales). As Gunfighter you can shoot any way you want (one handed). I shot with with three holstered, one staged pistol, right handed. Sometimes both. I never knew how I wanted to shoot till I showed up to the stage. That's a Blast! No stage is the same.

One thing I noticed as Shooting Bull stated, is how much I use my left hand. After surgery I couldn't believe how much I had to stop myself from trying to use my left. It's like 'multi-tasking' all the time. It just must become habit and then instinctive. You must have a less dominate strong hand but a very dominate strong eye! You can't be hunting for the next target with one eye closed.

Speaking of instinctive, I lost count shooting Duelist on one stage. Starting to holster the last pistol, someone call "one more"! I instinctively re-engaged the last target 'Outlaw' and picked up the last shot! There are so many options in Gunfighter it may seem overwhelming. But this shooting is more than point, aim, squeeze...

For those trying to cock one hand while shooting the other, it's just practice. Start Duelist, it's very slow doing everything in sequence one thing at a time. When I started Gunfighter I would cock the pistol I just fired at the same time I shot the next pistol. Squeeze, fire, cock the other gun. Then you can progress with a double cock, double sequential fire. Then depending on the stage sequence you can automatically switch between sequential cock and double cock which will decrease your time between targets. As your shooting one target, your other hand is moving to the next. This prevents 'crossing over' the pistols to the next target. One less thing to think about.

As your working on this, do yourself a favor and forget the timer!

All you want to do is hit the target. Once you can hit, speed it up.

If you watch a good gunfighter who can thumb slip one handed, and hit, he can shoot twice as fast without have to holster and change guns.

I would rather challenge the style than the timer any day. It's all about 'the show'!

Shooting Josey Wales I didn't break any land speed records, nor shoot clean. You never will when shooting rifle targets with a pistol. But when you get comments from that gallery; "Wow, that was good shooting" even though your next to last in the standings, you go home proud.

I was most impressed at the TN State Match to watch the guy on my posse shoot the whole thing 'Outlaw' and beat me! 

At the end of the day, we all won a bottle of Jack from Whisky Hayes and a batch of memories to take home...

Would love to shoot gunfighter, but the miss count would be too high.:lol:

5 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

You complete in your category so unless there are not a lot of good gumfighters shooting,  you still win.

Just natural progression.  Started with Traditional, then Duelist, Double Duelist then GF.  I'm not great, but I have fun.

Did not know you could shoot a SAA two handed just don’t feel right to me 

I started in Classic Cowboy Double Duelist 

now shooting Frontier Cartridge Duelist 

and just might switch to Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter next season 

42 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Took me four years to get my first clean match. And to date it's still my only clean match. You can't be afraid to miss if you want to shoot gunfighter. It's all part of the game.

3 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Took me four years to get my first clean match. And to date it's still my only clean match. You can't be afraid to miss if you want to shoot gunfighter. It's all part of the game.

I shot my first frontier cartridge gunfighter clean match last month.

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I still have about 3 or 4 pins left. Should we get more? How many do you have! I just sold 5 on FB today to duelist SASS shooters.

Check out the facebook page The Pistoleros!!!

I have many many pins left. No worries there.

I would say start with duelist then progress on to gunfighter. Just remember, John Wayne shot one handed.  

The great Creator gave all of us Pastafarians TWO good hands with which to grasp our PISTOLS (PLURAL).   I determined, this being the case, by design we were intended and built to have a pistol in each hand.  Then I determined those pistols should be Cap Guns, not Suppository Shooters.  Shortly thereafter, I was hijacked by the Nefarious Prairie Dawg and educated in the manner of SNUBBIES.  And we was Outlaws.  No real category.  Then the powers that be at SASS saw the Meat Balls a realized there should be a real Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter category with which to make us Legitimate, having previously be Illegitimate, so to speak.  SO:  After 15 or 16 years of wandering in the dark (Dark Side) I finally found the light (and it weren't a Train) and embraced Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter with Cap Gun SNUBBIES.  Haven't looked back.  Marvelousness!!  

I have always shot double duelist, not very fast, but I do have fun with it. Now if I could figure out how to load and cock my hammered shotgun......

Angry Ned

Started Traditional, several years later switched to  Gunfighter. Now after six years of Gunfighter, in the fall I switched back to Traditional. Never shot Duelist or Double Duelist except when I needed to during a Gunfighter stage. I'm happy as long as I am pulling a trigger.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I shoot Double Duelist most of the time .

Im a slow and simple kind of Man .

I think Gunfighter to Kool as heck .

I just cant wrap my mind around Gunfighter .

So I shoot Double Duelist B)

Rooster 

I started out shooting traditional but went to double duelist because I could. I am ambidextrous. But like Rooster Ron Wayne said I just can't wrap my head around Gunfighter. When I have tried it and have a miss it sort of messes up my thinking and I don't know why.

First 2 matches were shot 2 handed. Then I switched to dbl duelist as I am pretty ambidextrous. I also shoot only BP. I played around with  GF a few times in our monthly shoots, then when SASS recognized FCGF I was all in. Been shooting it for a couple of years now and love it. Makes you think about how you will sequence and shoot every stage before you shoot it.

I'm all in!

I shoot Frontiersman most of the time and it is my category of choice.  One year I did some local matches as a gunfighter and was starting to get fair at it.  At out end of season 3 day shoot I was shooting Frontiersman and on the first stage we started Texas surrender and when the buzzer went off I started to pull both pistols out of my holsters.  I was brought to my senses with Prarie Dawg yelling in my ear NO NO NO. and stopped before the muzzles left the holsters.  I never tried gunfighter again after that.  Remember muscle memory takes over when the buzzer beeps.

3 hours ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

I shoot Frontiersman most of the time and it is my category of choice.  One year I did some local matches as a gunfighter and was starting to get fair at it.  At out end of season 3 day shoot I was shooting Frontiersman and on the first stage we started Texas surrender and when the buzzer went off I started to pull both pistols out of my holsters.  I was brought to my senses with Prarie Dawg yelling in my ear NO NO NO. and stopped before the muzzles left the holsters.  I never tried gunfighter again after that.  Remember muscle memory takes over when the buzzer beeps.

That happens to me every single time I shoot plainsman. At least at one club, they allowed gunfighter style if you were registered in one of the gunfighter categories.

Born a south paw.  Many years ago someone at the range asked me why I kept switching hands every time I shot a string.  One with the left, then one with the right.  Didn't know I was doing that until it was called to my attention.  I found that I was just about even with both hands, so I chose to be a right handed pistol shooter.  No one made a left handed pistol back then.  Most holster made with for right handed people.

My 1st match as a duelist I intended to draw my left pistol and put it my right hand but my Master Grip was good coming out of the leather and so I shot Double Duelist.  Did that for years.  Kept thinking about Gunfighter but never got the courage up.  Several years later one January, I decided to shoot Gunfighter from now on.  Took a bit of time to get the thinking right but I could do it and a lot of folks can't.

I think it's easier for a lefty to shoot Gunfighter because we're forced to adapt to this right handed world while we're young.  Most right handed people can't do anything with their left hand.

Left Shoulder injury last December has left me with a weak left hand/arm.  It's getting better but not as good as it was - yet.  So, I'm back to Duelist as a right handed person.

I'm left-handed, but right-eye dominant. When shooting in the pre-cowboy era, I shot rifles and shotguns right-handed and pistols left-handed until a friend suggested I try shooting pistols-right handed, because of the muscle memory.

Fast forward to becoming interested in SASS, and I liked the look of gunfighter, but didn't think I was up to it to start. So, I shot double-duelist with the intention of transitioning to gunfighter eventually. At this stage, I've pretty much decided that I will continue shooting double-duelist, for a number of reasons.

Like most of the others, started with traditional. Went to duelist then double duelist. After this I tried gunfighter.  Just more fun for me than the other styles of shooting.

Of course, considering the really close distances at the OK Corral, Morgan Earp was hit in the back, Virgil Earp in the calf, Frank McLaury was hit twice, Billy Clanton was hit 3 times and Tom McLaury was hit with a shotgun, out of like 30 rounds fired, maybe people should have used two hands. (of course, hit percentage is still better than most police)

I started with duelist to force myself to slow down as I learn the game. I have tried gunfighter and double duelist at the local range and the arthritis in my left wrist and base of the left thumb pretty much preclude them. I *might* get through 2-1/2 or 3 stages before my left hand just gave it up. So duelist it is for me.

14 hours ago, Ron "Ironhead" Smith said:

I started with duelist to force myself to slow down as I learn the game. I have tried gunfighter and double duelist at the local range and the arthritis in my left wrist and base of the left thumb pretty much preclude them. I *might* get through 2-1/2 or 3 stages before my left hand just gave it up. So duelist it is for me.

I have carpel tunnel in both wrists left one being the worst and arthritis  in both thumb joints, I fell your pain. I have an ointment  I rub on my wrist that helps but I can also block alot of the pain till I am done shooting then after match I go home and cry like a little girl

8 hours ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

I have carpel tunnel in both wrists left one being the worst and arthritis  in both thumb joints, I fell your pain. I have an ointment  I rub on my wrist that helps but I can also block alot of the pain till I am done shooting then after match I go home and cry like a little girl

Sounds like why I stopped shooting High Power. My left elbow couldn't take the tight sling in prone anymore and after every match for a couple of years I'd get home, encase it in ice packs, sip two fingers of scotch and moan.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.