SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smith28

New forum member - couple of questions

Hi all, 

I have wanted to start CAS for a long time, but just cannot do it at this time in my life due to the cost (two revolvers, rifle, shotgun, leather, cart, the fact that I do not have enough spare time to reload). I do, however enjoy watching and admire the skill that a lot of y 'all have. I have been curious for a while about a couple of things.

1. Why are there no events for pistols only, or one pistol one rifle? That way it would be easier for new shooters to get in the game.

2. Can you use your guns for things other than CAS? I have wondered if the extent to which some guns are modified makes them less reliable for full power loads/farm or small game hunting type use. 

3. Is there somewhere to look for someone selling an entire kit all at once? Maybe that could lower the cost of entry.

I am not trying to come across as critical at all, I have just wondered these things for a while and finally decided to join the forum so I could ask. Thanks for your time!!!

I wonder how many are feverishly typing a response to your questions.

You might want to look into fast draw, only one pistol required!

Go to a local match - look and handle the firearms there - ask these questions of the competitors at your local match.

1 - This is the way the sport has evolved.

2 - Yes

3 - Yes

Again, go to a local match and let them know you're interested.

Many local clubs will allow you to start with whatever you have, be it only pistols, a rifle or whatever, while you are gathering your equipment. You'll also find many shooters that will loan you stuff while you're shooting.

Get out to a local match, meet some friends and explain your situation and I'll bet you'll find a way!

SASS members are the friendliest, most helpful people you'll ever find!

39 minutes ago, smith28 said:

Hi all, 

I have wanted to start CAS for a long time, but just cannot do it at this time in my life due to the cost (two revolvers, rifle, shotgun, leather, cart, the fact that I do not have enough spare time to reload). I do, however enjoy watching and admire the skill that a lot of y 'all have. I have been curious for a while about a couple of things.

1. Why are there no events for pistols only, or one pistol one rifle? That way it would be easier for new shooters to get in the game.

2. Can you use your guns for things other than CAS? I have wondered if the extent to which some guns are modified makes them less reliable for full power loads/farm or small game hunting type use. 

3. Is there somewhere to look for someone selling an entire kit all at once? Maybe that could lower the cost of entry.

I am not trying to come across as critical at all, I have just wondered these things for a while and finally decided to join the forum so I could ask. Thanks for your time!!!

1. Talk to your local match director.  They may let you shoot as you wish.  However, loaner firearms may be available if you ask.

2. Our firearms are useful for other tasks.   A .357 mag or .45 Colt round is suitable for hunting, including some big game species.  My .357 stainless Marlin would be ideal for hunting javelina in foul weather.  A short-barreled shotgun is a fearsome self-defense firearm.  However, I don't carry a single action revolver for self-defense and prefer more modern handgun designs.

3. Yes, old age and illnesses claim many of our shooters.  Some also have financial setbacks and need to raise cash.  Keep an eye on the SASS classifieds as their kit gets sold.

I am located in Georgia, kind of near Athens.

You really do need to go to a local match. The visit may answer a couple of your questions. A local monthly match may allow you to shoot one or two guns. Never know, you might start something.  However, I want to shoot 10-10-4 at least on every stage :)  

Now, lets talk about a reloading press or three and accessories. Powder, bullets, primers, brass and...…………….. Maybe discuss how much a good cowboy hat will cost.  I am partial to Tony LLama shooter's boots 16" tall. 

A leather rig is priced from reasonable to holy...………!!! 

I used to spend a long time talking to the people about how SASS worked and the fun one can have. When the conversation turned to the arguably total cost to shoot the game, you usually could see an attitude change starting to take place. Now I simply ask "How deep is your wallet". 

2 hours ago, smith28 said:

Hi all, 

Q1:  Can't answer, but I bet if you find a local club and ask they will let you shoot with what guns you have on hand and allow you to simply take a miss on whatever targets you can't engage.  Obviously, this will kill your score, but you will still be able to have fun and meet fellow shooters.

Q2:  I'm fairly new to SASS so all my guns are still stock.  I can still use them in whatever shooting application I feel like outside of SASS.  I'm the limiting factor, not the guns, so until I get faster and cleaner I will save my money on custom work and buy more reloading components.

Q3:  My advice would be to first acquire a complete set of gun leather i.e. two holsters, stout belt, and some form of shotgun shell holder.  Show up with what guns you do have and work a deal with another member to borrow what guns you don't have.

Edit:  If you happen to be local to me you are welcome to run my back up set of guns.   I have a set of Cimarron pistols in 38/357, a Browning 92 in 357 mag, and an extra CZ SxS.  I'll be happy to loan you guns and ammo for the rifle, just pick up a box of wadcutter 38s for the revolvers and some low recoil shells for the shotgun and you are in business.

2 hours ago, smith28 said:

Hi all, 

Howdy Smith28 and WELCOME!

As to your questions:

1. You are asking a question that has been asked many many times....and I agree. The answer is the game is what it is, but, just as the other pards have said, take what you have and go hit a match. Go on line and get the club's contact info and call the people listed on their site and see if they can give you info on attending a match and maybe they can set you up with some loaner guns.

2. Absolutely! There is no rule that you have to buy certain guns and there is no rule that you must make your guns into "Race Guns"...also, a fast gun doesn't mean a "weak gun". A good example is the Rossi 92 or the Marlin 1894. They are strong action guns and can handle hunting loads and such just fine. Not everyone shoots 66's and 73's and not everyone builds or modifies their gun for speed shooting. Heck, you could use a Henry lever gun, which is another fine firearm, for CAS and hunting but it is definitely not a fast action gun. You have to determine what you want to do with your guns and going to a match and talking to folks is the best way to learn.

3. You could keep and eye on the SASS Classifieds. Often there are folks selling complete sets of cowboy guns but I do not know of any businesses doing this.

I think you would be best served by hitting some matches in your area and talking to folks.

Welcome to the wire and the best game & folks goin Smith28, keep your eyes open and you will find some bargains available. Build your own cart from and old 3 wheel stroller or golf bag cart and save some bucks there.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

As others have said, go to a local club show up early help set up and help tear down, they will put you on the right path, things really have a strange way of working out, you can get into reloading fairly cheap with a single stage or a hand press, does it take longer yep, but its been done for a lot of years that way, the journey has a way of drawing ya in, once yu dip your toes in the water. 

Good luck,

take care, stay safe drd

3 hours ago, smith28 said:

Hi all, 

You said that you like to watch. I'm assuming you are watching at Georgia Piedmont Regulators and/or South River Shootist? If I knew where you're visiting, I might be able to point you to someone to mislead you, I mean lead you into the addiction, I mean help you get you introduced to the game. :)

39 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Build your own cart from and old 3 wheel stroller or golf bag cart and save some bucks there.

Or a dolly - I used small bungee cords to hold a frame I made of 1x4s to the dolly.  Just had to be careful of sloped ground or it might tip over backwards, until I built a larger base.  Could fit it in the back of my Jeep Cherokee.

You might also be interested in looking at Cap & Ball pistols from Cabelas.  You can get a pair of them for less than one good entry level cartridge pistol.

Also, one of our members has an 1860 Army for a good price.  No tax, No FFL fees.

welcome to the SASS posse

noticed you didn't say where you hail from.  Let us know and we'll steer you to local clubs

Our club, TRR, will loan you everything you need to try CAS (ammo included).  It's too much fun not to let everyone get a shot (pun there) at it.

As to other uses I use my rifle to hunt jackalopes and pistols are my main snipe guns.

I use the shotgun to blast holes in rain clouds so Mrs. laundry doesn't get wet on the clothesline

5a6f7612de843_CheyenneRanger-PosseMember.JPG.a172a713ac9eb5d112ebc9f4553f71b4.JPG.8857c0d31e3ecfa5268fa6f8021955e0.JPG 

Welcome to the best sport in the World. It might take some time to gather the equipment but trust me, it's worth every penny!!

welcome - hope you can find what we do to your liking , i do not blame you for wanting to shoot the other discipline scenarios but that is what happens in side matches if that interests you , our basic game plan is what we all shoot and enjoy , but there is a lot of interest in wild bunch  and side match that allow the options you asked of 

Welcome.  cap and ball is one way thrn move to conversion cylinders.  Another and probably even cheaper is used Ruger blackhawks. Leather seen some used cheap stuff on ebay.  Triple K stuff is not unreasonable to get started with.  Couple pieces of wood or metal on a cheap childs or similar red wagon you got a cart.  Most places want muzzle up so hence a couple of braces.  Muzzle down maybe acceptable at local club just ask.

So guns get modified to cock easier or not as much stroke.  That does not mean if 45 LC or 357 mag they still can not handle that.  Places offering hop up parts that would fail on SAMMI spec ammo are not going to risk reputation or litigation.  If anything you can still use them for other tasks and they work evrn better.

Reloading is nice as hard to always find off the shelf.  Again strike up a friendship.  Offer to buy brass and bu.lets and a bit more for someone to put rounds tovether for you.  Bulk is available most places that is what I did before getting a machine. 

Cowboy friends will help out most likely till you get your gear.  An extra box of shells and a cooler with a cold beer on a hotb day post shoot will get you pals rightbquick.

Thank you everyone for the welcomes and the answers to my questions/advice! You have all been very receptive to my presence here and I surely appreciate it. You never know what you are going to get when you post on a forum as a new guy. I am in Athens GA and will update it on my profile when I figure out how to. 

6 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

You might also be interested in looking at Cap & Ball pistols from Cabelas.  You can get a pair of them for less than one good entry level cartridge pistol.

Also, one of our members has an 1860 Army for a good price.  No tax, No FFL fees.

Wait, no FFL fees? Do you not have to still ship it through an ffl if it is not a face-to-face sale?

23 minutes ago, smith28 said:

Wait, no FFL fees? Do you not have to still ship it through an ffl if it is not a face-to-face sale?

Most places, an FFL is not required for a cap and ball.  Check your local lawsuit to be sure.

Just now, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Most places, an FFL is not required for a cap and ball.  Check your local lawsuit to be sure.

Nice! Was not aware of that. Thanks!

Most places cap and ball are not considered regulated firearms.  Conversion cylinders are considered a part so put the conversion cylinder in and you have a non ffl cartridge gun. 

I occasionally use a gun cart that I can hide easily while I'm travelling.  It's a Northern Tool fold down dolly, a wood box and bungee cords to hold it together.  Less than $35 and perfectly serviceable.  I have a Rugged Gear cart for most matches, but use the smaller one when I'm travelling as all my shooting stuff is hidden.

"the fact that I do not have enough spare time to reload)"

We have our priorities. As with all the other stuff, once hooked on this sport you find a way. An issue though may be volume, so a single stage will not be favored. I have the new Lee Pro4000 Auto Breech Lock Pro, among my other presses, and have dedicated it to 38 Special at this point. I could recommend that as an economy progressive, if trying to make money available for other gear at the same time.

You can buy your shotgun shells at Walmart for cheap and if you want to get started reloading, which you will at some point, I'd suggest looking into the Lee Classic Turret press. It's a great press for a beginner, fairly inexpensive when compared to the much larger progressives, allows you to learn about reloading at a comfortable pace, and can still chunk out 200 to 300 rounds per hour when you get set up and know what you're doing. 

My guess is if you go to a match or two you'll find plenty of cowboys and cowgirls will help you and assist you with equipment. Talk to as many shooters as you can and while you're at the match make sure you help out with Posse duties like brassing or working the unload table and when you get comfortable you can spot for the shooters. These are posse duties anyway and while you're not shooting might be a good opportunity to learn them all. Figure out some good eye and ear protection while you're at it. You will need them at every match.

Enjoy!

Welcome fellow Georgian from the opposite corner of the state!

Cap & Ball is a little less expensive to start out with, but is what I consider an 'expert' gun.   It will take you a few minutes to load a cap & ball revolver vs. a few seconds to load a cartridge gun.  Conversion cylinders are nice but they cost more than the whole C&B revolver.  44cal C&B are easier to convert than the 36cal due to bore size of the 44 is the same as 45colt.  The bore size of 36cal C&B is a little larger than 38 special, there are fixes but that is more time and money.   Also, since you don't reload yet, 45colt ammo cost a good bit more than 38 special.  How do I know all this, when I started out I had a Ruger NV, so I bought an 1860 and converted it to a cartridge gun, the 1860 ended up costing over twice as much as the Ruger.  Saying all that I do like my 1860 better than the Ruger.

1860 conversion 9.jpg

On the gun cart question, at my clubs, newcomers easily enough find space on other's carts to hitch a ride for their guns and gear, often loaned. Advice that seems to cut right to it is to focus on having a belt and holsters and go from there. Getting to that first match and finding a mentor allows some provision to be made to get you outfitted with borrowed gear and ammo for your later first shoot. But I have seen new shooters given a trial run, separate from the match, using the mentor's own gear. The key is finding that single mentor, so talk to people at your most local match.

18 hours ago, Buck D. Law, SASS #62183 said:

You said that you like to watch. I'm assuming you are watching at Georgia Piedmont Regulators and/or South River Shootist? If I knew where you're visiting, I might be able to point you to someone to mislead you, I mean lead you into the addiction, I mean help you get you introduced to the game. :)

I actually meant I have been watching matches that have been posted online, I have not physically been to one yet, although I would like to when I get a free weekend!

Howdy

Get thee to a match. A match is much different than what you see posted on line. Most of the time, only the fastest shooters are featured on line. There are far more shooters who are not the fastest and you will get more of a sense of a match if you attend one than if you watch videos.

Caution: I advise against starting out with Cap & Ball revolvers. Do not be seduced by the lower cost of Cap & Ball. Yes, they are less expensive than cartridge guns, but there is a whole lot more involved shooting Cap & Ball than there is shooting cartridges. A match is not the place to learn about shooting Cap & Ball.

Get to a match, ask around, see if you can try some guns.

Don't spend a penny until you have actually shot some guns.

Think about Rugers if you want super reliability.

Think about Ubertis if you want closer to historical accuracy.

Think about 38 Special if you don't want to spend a whole lot on factory ammunition.

Welcome to the game!!! Good Luck in the future!!

image.png.84484a5319d60a67adec2aa4b7276b1f.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.