SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smith28

New forum member - couple of questions

Good bunch of Cowboys and Cowgirls up in Central GA.

You might run into a displaced Kajun there and his sometimes sidekick Badlands Bob.

They don't mean no harm.

Might even get some good advice out of one of them. Ain't sure which one though. You will have to be the Judge of that.

Anyhow get yourself over to one of them local matches.

It's way different than YouTube.

Waimea

WELCOME SMITH28 to the SASS WIRE FORUM:

950117184_WELCOMESTATEMENT-Condensed.thumb.JPG.ff84b49ea860cfb32a60b5c854ef1108.JPG

My guns and Loads are the very same loads used by real Cowboys in the 1870s through 1890s and just like they worked then they do so today.

I have killed Game with my .45 colt loads , 45-70 Loads and my .40-65 as well ....

My Uberti 66 is Stronger than an Original 66 ,,, better Steel .... As are My Open-tops  and the rest of my guns are even stronger....

So they can still be used outside of SASS ...

Jabez Cowboy

Following Marshal Hangtree -

If you have any experience with C&B revolvers, this is a cheap way to get going. A decent Stevens 311 SxS shotgun or similar can be had for $250 or less. A new single shot H&R/NEF would be even less, and I see used ones at or under $100 pretty regularly. A bit slow, but some of us shoot them every now and then anyway, just to be different. That leaves the rifle. With a little searching, a used Rossi '92 can be had for under $400 in time, and I've even seen them on sale or closeout for that little, new in the box.

43 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Following Marshal Hangtree -

If you have any experience with C&B revolvers, this is a cheap way to get going. A decent Stevens 311 SxS shotgun or similar can be had for $250 or less. A new single shot H&R/NEF would be even less, and I see used ones at or under $100 pretty regularly. A bit slow, but some of us shoot them every now and then anyway, just to be different. That leaves the rifle. With a little searching, a used Rossi '92 can be had for under $400 in time, and I've even seen them on sale or closeout for that little, new in the box.

I have to admit that the price point and cool-factor is very tempting ( I particularly like the looks of the brass ones), but I have no prior experience with them and just watched a video of someone re-loading one. I think I would be holding everyone up at the meet.

Does anyone do world or cowboy fast draw in addition to CAS? That has sparked my interest as well and maybe that is the way to get started cheaply and buy the guns to compete in CAS later when I have more reserves (and so I don't buy all the guns at once and give a heart attack to my SO) . The only problem with that is that it looks like they want you to use 45 colt and I was planning on 38...

How often do deals like this with C&B revolvers come up?  How practical are they in today's world for anything else at all other than CAS? How many people actually use them at matches? Sorry for all the questions, just curious about them.

31 minutes ago, smith28 said:

I have to admit that the price point and cool-factor is very tempting ( I particularly like the looks of the brass ones), but I have no prior experience with them and just watched a video of someone re-loading one. I think I would be holding everyone up at the meet.

Does anyone do world or cowboy fast draw in addition to CAS? That has sparked my interest as well and maybe that is the way to get started cheaply and buy the guns to compete in CAS later when I have more reserves (and so I don't buy all the guns at once and give a heart attack to my SO) . The only problem with that is that it looks like they want you to use 45 colt and I was planning on 38...

How often do deals like this with C&B revolvers come up?  How practical are they in today's world for anything else at all other than CAS? How many people actually use them at matches? Sorry for all the questions, just curious about them.

You actually load your C&B before or after your shooting string and only have to cap it at the loading table.  Once you get the hang of it, it takes about 2-3 shooters to get them loaded and ready for the next stage so you can help with posse duties.

Don't know anything about CFD except that you have to use a .45.

You can find deals on C&B's regularly but here's the caveat(s).  You will need to, at minimum, replace the stock nipples unless they have already been done.  Treso's or Slix-Shot are the go to nipples at around $36/each gun. 

The brass frame guns aren't as durable as the steel frame guns so may stretch over time therefore aren't the best choice.  Larsen Pettifogger did a tutorial on a DIY tune-up for the Navy that is pretty easy to follow and is thorough so if you have some general skills, you can make one work nicely.

The C&B is a fun gun for plinking, Boy Scout events, and CAS.  Could they be used for home defense and such?  Well, sure but not practical as you would have to change the charge from time to time and/or replace the caps.  Even then the ignition system on a C&B is somewhat unreliable.

You won't see many C&B's being used in local match events.  There is usually a small but dedicated bunch of Frontiersman at the bigger events and there are the Plainsman events at some annuals.  I am an aberration in that I shoot '51 Navies in Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter at local matches and major events just because I enjoy them that much.  

Lastly, the C&B needs to be taken apart after every match and deep cleaned to get the powder residue out.  Black Powder by nature is hydroscopic and will cause your gun to rust.  You can't use petroleum based lubricants either.  Food grade or synthetic lubricants seem to work the best for me.

While the C&B is an economical way to start the game, it's not for the weak at heart and not generally recommended for the novice who has little experience with one.  Cap only ignitions are normal as well as cap jams.  You will need to know how to clear these little hiccups on the firing line without help as some TO's are not familiar enough with the gun to assist you.  

1 hour ago, smith28 said:

I have to admit that the price point and cool-factor is very tempting ( I particularly like the looks of the brass ones), but I have no prior experience with them and just watched a video of someone re-loading one. I think I would be holding everyone up at the meet.  All steel framed revolvers are preferred to brass as brass stretches more easily than steel.  Your lack of experience with them is a good reason to avoid them as starter revolvers.  They are fickle.  If you ever decide to shoot Plainsman side matches you will need a pair.  I load my cap and ball revolvers in the time it takes to 3-4 shooters to shoot.  I am very methodical but very practiced.  BTW, I don't shoot my cap and ball revolvers in rainy weather because one drop of water in the wrong place when loading will give a misfire.  I shoot revolvers loaded with cartridges when moisture may be an issue.

Does anyone do world or cowboy fast draw in addition to CAS? That has sparked my interest as well and maybe that is the way to get started cheaply and buy the guns to compete in CAS later when I have more reserves (and so I don't buy all the guns at once and give a heart attack to my SO) . The only problem with that is that it looks like they want you to use 45 colt and I was planning on 38...  I've only seen fast draw at the SASS Nationals - Winter Range in Phoenix.  I don't suggest buying your starter revolvers with just one match in mind.  Buying 38s is a good plan.  However, you can get involved in fast draw outside of CAS.  One of our local, CAS shooters also does fast draw.

How often do deals like this with C&B revolvers come up?  How practical are they in today's world for anything else at all other than CAS? How many people actually use them at matches? Sorry for all the questions, just curious about them.  Deals on cap and ball revolvers are very common.  I shoot mine at CAS matches regularly.  I prefer my Ruger Old Armys (I have three pair) to the others I own.  I suppose one could do handgun hunting with them but they would be far from my first choice.  As a self-defense handgun I would prefer one to a single-shot, flintlock handgun.  I far prefer the reliability of revolvers loaded with cartridges.  I carry modern, semi-autos for self-defense.

1 hour ago, smith28 said:

How many people actually use them at matches? Sorry for all the questions, just curious about them.

<--- This guy does! Nineteen and counting... ;)

I repeat what I said before.

Do not be seduced by the lower price of Cap & Ball revolvers. They take time to learn to load properly. Much better to start out with cartridge guns.

Take this from somebody who bought his first C&B revolver in 1968. I do know what I am talking about.

20 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

I repeat what I said before.

Do not be seduced by the lower price of Cap & Ball revolvers. They take time to learn to load properly. Much better to start out with cartridge guns.

Take this from somebody who bought his first C&B revolver in 1968. I do know what I am talking about.

+1 on that.  The idiosyncrasy's common to the C&B revolver can make for a miserable time at a match unless you are familiar with them.   Even then, they can be a challenge.

You're right close to several excellent Cowboy Shooting Clubs.  Here's the contact information:

SASS Clubs - Georgia 

Starting this game with C&B will make matches overwhelming for a new shooter.

Phantom

On 6/13/2018 at 12:25 PM, smith28 said:

Hi all, 

I have wanted to start CAS for a long time, but just cannot do it at this time in my life due to the cost (two revolvers, rifle, shotgun, leather, cart, the fact that I do not have enough spare time to reload). I do, however enjoy watching and admire the skill that a lot of y 'all have. I have been curious for a while about a couple of things.

1. Why are there no events for pistols only, or one pistol one rifle? That way it would be easier for new shooters to get in the game.

2. Can you use your guns for things other than CAS? I have wondered if the extent to which some guns are modified makes them less reliable for full power loads/farm or small game hunting type use. 

3. Is there somewhere to look for someone selling an entire kit all at once? Maybe that could lower the cost of entry.

I am not trying to come across as critical at all, I have just wondered these things for a while and finally decided to join the forum so I could ask. Thanks for your time!!!

I'm a little late getting to this thread but I finally made it.  Smith28, I am the match director for the Cherokee Cowboys and our club is located just south of Gainesville.  I live in Jefferson so you live pretty close to me.

We are having our monthly match this Saturday at the Cherokee Gun Club and I invite you to come on out and take a look if your schedule allows.  There is also a match that is shot near Toccoa on the 2nd Sat of each month, the Piedmont Regulators.  I am going to send you a PM on this forum with me phone number.  You can call me and I'll be glad to tell you more about what we do.  There is NO substitute, however, for coming out and watching a match in person BEFORE you buy anything. As you have found out it can be a bit pricey so you should get all your questions answered before putting any money out.

Kajun

On 6/14/2018 at 2:06 PM, Waimea said:

Good bunch of Cowboys and Cowgirls up in Central GA.

You might run into a displaced Kajun there and his sometimes sidekick Badlands Bob.

They don't mean no harm.

Might even get some good advice out of one of them. Ain't sure which one though. You will have to be the Judge of that.

Anyhow get yourself over to one of them local matches.

It's way different than YouTube.

Waimea

I knowed you wuz lurking around.....could feel it in my bones :D

I did reach out to the OP and hopefully will get all of his questions answered.

Kajun

You've already received a lot of good advice that I can't improve on much. I agree, ,strongly, with the people who say "go to a local match and express interest." When I did that, people came out of the woodwork to loan me firearms and equipment and ammo to complete stages. That's been nearly 24 years ago and I find that that community spirit is still alive at the local matches. Bring what you have, be friendly and people will help you down the trail.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.