SASS Wire Forum

I have spoken to Cody at Cowboy Gunworks about the lubricant used on the toggles, lever, and elevator in the Uberti 1873.  He said any Molly based lube would work.  Will all of the choices, what do you use?

Posted (edited)

I use Mobil One red synthetic wheel bearing grease.  In the toggle slots, on the bearing surfaces (knobs) of the toggles, on lifter arm contact points, lever pivot bosses, the bolt surface (not the face), and on firing pin extension.  All of these are low speed sliding (or rotating) action contacts that grease stays on very well.  The elevator (lifter) runs better for me clean and dry rather than with lube on it - but then, I shoot that dirty .45 Colt cartridge.  If I put any on, it's a VERY light film on the side and back walls of the carrier shaft.

Mobil 1 synthetic because it works well (does not harden) with BP residue as well as smokeless

The FPE is one of the important things to lube periodically because it runs through a hole in back of frame (and there's no wear bushing).  This hole tends to wear egg-shaped because the FPE gets a little vertical force put on it as it cocks and over-rides the hammer.   Gun gets a sloppy feeling once bad wear happens, and it can even lead to FPE overriding hammer without getting it fully cocked.  So, at least monthly I clean what part of the FPE sticks out of action when open, then lightly regrease the surface area that I can reach.  So far, over 50,000 rounds through my main 73 with no noticeable wear.

Good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708
  • Like 1

I agree with Joe.  Inexpensive and works great!

There are a LOT of good choices though as we need some lube but it is not a great stress or heat environment.

+3 for Mobil 1 grease

--Dawg

6 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

+3 for Mobil 1 grease

--Dawg

Reckon I'm  +4 on the Mobil 1 red wheel bearing grease..

I've had a can about 5 years and I'm still just skimming 

off the top of it..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' it's good stuff :huh:

A one pound can of Mobil 1 will last a life time. Yep I use it, great stuff.

Another ++++ for Mobil 1, !!!!!!!!!!

Does this make it Mobil 5?? :D:D:D

• Haha 1

Mobile 1 sucks!

(No, not really.  I just couldn't take the stress of everybody agreeing on something in a SASS Wire thread. :wacko: )

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Give Sta-Lube engine assembly lube a go. ;)

Very high in graphite, and moly.

http://www.crcindustries.com/products/extreme-pressure-engine-assembly-lube-2-75-wt-oz-SL3333.html

Best 'gun-grease' I have ever found.

OLG

+1 on the Sta-Lube. Been using it for years.

Figured it would stand up to a basic dry start on an engine rebuild it would work wonders in a slow moving gun action.

Marshal Stone

Posted (edited)

Yep, been using Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease and 10-30 Oil where needed on all my firearms for years. Stays where you put it and it’s cost effective.

Edited by Charles B. Gatewood SASS #48517

A quart of Mobil 1 and Tube of Mobil 1 Grease will last ...... Years.  VERY good lubricants.  Play well with BP, Subs & that Heathen Fad Nitro based stuff some use. 

Seems to me I was introduced to Mobil 1 over on CAS City years ago, by who I can not remember. It has been threaded their for many times in the dark Arts.

I also use Frog lube with great effect. Frog Lube also plays well with Black powder. Ol' number 4 , and Big iron Buster talked me into using Frog lube.

You're supposed to lube them? I had NO idea...........

Bugler

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bugler said:

You're supposed to lube them? I had NO idea...........

Bugler

No lube and don't clean-them either

Never could hit anything with a clean rifle............even being inside the barn!

Now, you give me a fouled rifle................ and I can shoot the eyebrows of a skeeter at 1000 yards.....

Unless it is the rifle that I used on that awful windy day, the wind was so bad it bent my front sight!

Bugler

PS. Don't worry, I turned and shot the other way and the wind straightened it right out...........................kinda windy here in Montana from time to time!

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I've been using any racing grade wheel bearing grease where grease is called for on all kinds of guns since the 1980s. For oil I went to Mobil 1 full synthetic around 1990. Never had a problem in any gun. In my 1873 I just use a pipette and put a little oil around the carrier and bolt extension, cycle a few times and wipe the excess off. By the end of a match the rifle usually has a bit of oil and carbon drool on the bottom of the carrier but with .45 Colt and Trail Boss that's to be expected. The drool does show the oil is helping clean the gunk and when it's time to clean the rifle the gunk just pretty much wipes right off.

Edited by Ron "Ironhead" Smith

18 hours ago, Catlow4697 said:

No lube and don't clean-them either

That way the fouling acts as the lube. 

• Haha 1

Any hi-temp EP-2 grease will work.  I use the same stuff as I lubricate my 5th wheel on my 18-wheeler... doesn't wash off your hands for a week or so... and NEVER out of your clothes.   Do NOT grease or oil the carrier or mortise, unless you like a "gummy" mess to clean up.

• Like 1

I lube with Ballistol, but I don't see any reason the other lubes mentioned here wouldn't work.

• Like 1