SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Outlaw Gambler

Short two question poll regarding 1897 shotguns

Assuming that you were in the market for a new reproduction 97, what would your choices be on these two items.

1. 20" or 18.5" barrel

2. Choke tube or no choke tube

Thanks for your input. OG

3 minutes ago, Outlaw Gambler said:

Assuming that you were in the market for a new reproduction 97, what would your choices be on these two items.

1. 20" or 18.5" barrel

2. Choke tube or no choke tube

Thanks for your input. OG

20" with choke tube

Another 20" with choke tube, if it didn't run the price up another $75 bucks.  Haven't really needed a choke tube yet, though.

OTHER than cowboy clays events, where it gets a little old competing against folks with 30" barreled guns sometimes......

Good luck, GJ

18 no choke tubes. 

20", cylinder bore

4 minutes ago, Cowboy Junky said:

18 no choke tubes. 

Indeed..... 18.5" (or a tad less) and no choke.

..........Widder

Try both lengths  before buying 

most sass shooters will hand you any of their guns to try 

the balance will be a fraction difference 

at the distance we shoot shotgun targets I really don't see a need for chokes in the shotgun.  But this only my opinion 

either 20 or 18 depends on which cost less.  Choke tubes are not need in SASS.  I put them in a double years ago and have never changed them, I am not even sure where the extra choke is  anymore.

20 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

either 20 or 18 depends on which cost less.  Choke tubes are not need in SASS.  I put them in a double years ago and have never changed them, I am not even sure where the extra choke is  anymore.

I too think choke tubes are not needed in CAS.. Only .035 difference in all of them.. Unless you are a pro trap/skeet shooter, don't think steel KD's  and the occasional "pop ups" will know the difference...   

chart.jpg

If price is the same, 20" with tubes. This will allow a shooter to cut the barrel back if wanted. 

20" no Choke tube's, Cylinder bore

18.5 with choke tubes

While there may only be .035 difference, the difference in the size of pattern on a popper is very distinct.  I like choices  :)

At SASS knockdown distances, choke tubes are meaningless, as is a 1 1/2" difference barrel length. If you shoot Cowboy trap, chokes are a nice option to have.

18.5" cylinder bore, the shorter barrel is easier to  get in and out of windows/ doorways. 

I been on the fence about getting one and trying it out. I'd like one in 18.5" with chokes. Not to constrict but to put a spreader choke in it.

Put me in the 20" w/chokes.  Cowboy trap yes if available, :D  C. W.  :FlagAm:

20 inch, no choke tubes.

21"

...what's a choke tube?

<_<

i like mine in 30" cylinder for the cowboy trap , but you gotta remember to bring it with you , my 20" coach gun did not do very well last match , if i was going to cut it and use it for both i might think 20"+ just for the advantage , the cowboy targets are not an issue with whatever - its handling thru the stage , the trap is something different altogether 

Trouble with cutting the barrel to 18 1/2 inches, is that if the gun is dropped and the end of the barrel is damaged, when you cut the damaged part of the barrel off, the gun could be under federal guide lines and become illegal to own.

12 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Not to constrict but to put a spreader choke in it.

Easier to load with a spreader wad (see Ballistics Products who carry several designs).

Good luck, GJ

Of the TWO CHOICES the 20 inch with Choke ....

Ideally 24 inch barrel with Chokes IC and Mod.

Jabez Cowboy

28 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Easier to load with a spreader wad 

I find the spreader wad takes too long for what we need to open up the shot stream. Its real good for 15+ yards though. The spreader choke(as opposed to a diffuser choke) starts to open as soon as it leaves the barrel. Some are even designed to open the pattern in a horizontal spread instead of a circle (these are illegal for sass). Google gator spreader choke to see what I mean.

20" no choke

10 hours ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

Trouble with cutting the barrel to 18 1/2 inches, is that if the gun is dropped and the end of the barrel is damaged, when you cut the damaged part of the barrel off, the gun could be under federal guide lines and become illegal to own.

I once had a shotgun that I thought was too short.  Turned out it was close but it wasn't, I was just sloppy with my measuring.  But my gunsmith told me that if I found myself in that situation with a shotgun, he could tig weld a little bit onto the end and work it to make it look good to get me back within the law.  I'm not sure how much can be realistically welded back onto a barrel, but now I know some can. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.