SASS Wire Forum
levi littleton

32-20 shell plate for 1050? Any one interested in one?

Fast and Friendly Brass makes  bunch of things for the Dillon reloading presses, including a better shell plate.

Dillon doesn't make a shell plate that will work for the 32-20.  But F&F Brass will make them for $200 each if 25 folks will buy in.   They are $800 one at a time.  Anyone interested in a shell plate for $200??

Levi,

I use a 1050 for 32 WCF and have been for over 11 years.

We worked through their other shell plates and found dimensions  for one that does work.

Can't remember what caliber had the close rim thickness and diameter but it has worked and been replaced twice.

This last one has been in for over 8 yrs.

Ol'  #4 

38 minutes ago, Ol Number4 said:

Levi,

I use a 1050 for 32 WCF and have been for over 11 years.

We worked through their other shell plates and found dimensions  for one that does work.

Can't remember what caliber had the close rim thickness and diameter but it has worked and been replaced twice.

This last one has been in for over 8 yrs.

Ol'  #4 

Good to know.  Last I talked with Dillon they  didn't have anything to fit.  I'll call them in the morning.   Please lLet me know if you figure out what size shell plate you used. 

Ol' #4?    Would you be using the 380 ACP shell plate?

Edited by levi littleton

Levi,

All I can be sure of is that the shellplate I have been using or the past 6+ years has an " O " stamped on it 

I just looked at it again to be sure of what it was.

Ol'  #4

Dillon is having a hard time today.  They say there is no "0" shell plate for a 1050. 

And then they called  me back having found one !  Nice :)  Really appreciate the help #4!

Edited by levi littleton

28 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Again, what's a shell plate?

GOOGLE, to the rescue.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/rl1050-super1050-shellplates_8_51_25627.html

It's dat round thingy. ;)

OLG

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, levi littleton said:

Dillon is having a hard time today.  They say there is no "0" shell plate for a 1050. 

And then they called  me back having found !  Nice :)  Really appreciate the help #4!

They show a "O" shell plate here.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/rl1050-super1050-shellplates_8_51_25627.html

Stock # 11206

OLG

• Like 1

It should be available for a rifle caliber in 218 Bee, oe 25-35. And, they should have a few left.

I went through about 5 getting the stupid press set or those little pills.

Levi,

Glad you got the parts,  now to set it up. 

A word of caution,

if you use RCBS, Lyman, or Hornady dies in the tool head  (duh)  you will probably need to remove about .090" from the bottom of the sizing and seating die to get the crimp right and the shoulder moved back to chamber in cowboy guns.

The shell plate from Dillon is too thick for the die to bottom at proper depth.

Good luck,  If you need some idea  about easily trimming your dies, send a PM 

[email protected]

Ol'  #4

Edited by Ol Number4
grammer

41 minutes ago, Ol Number4 said:

It should be available for a rifle caliber in 218 Bee, oe 25-35. And, they should have a few left.

Did you mean to say 25-20 rather than 25-35? I know the 25-20 has the same rim diameter as the the 32-20 and the 25-35 is the same as the 30-30.

1 hour ago, Ol Number4 said:

Glad you got the parts,  now to set it up. 

if you use RCBS, Lyman, or Hornady dies in the tool head  (duh)  you will probably need to remove about .090" from the bottom of the sizing and seating die to get the crimp right and the shoulder moved back to chamber in cowboy guns.

The shell plate from Dillon is too thick for the die to bottom at proper depth.

Had that problem on the 550. 

Did you wreck your "0" shell plate getting setting up?  Or wreck 5 of them?   If so how might I ask...hate to duplicate that one. 

I have an odd  assortment of dies on my 550 at least 2 makers may be three to  get everything they way I wanted it and ammo to run through all our 32-20s from 4 different makers.    Hell on cases because of the different chamber sizes so lots of split cases after a few reloads.   I should anneal them I guess.

Used a grinder to cut my dies down as they were just too dang hard to cut on my lathe.   Then a polishing wheel to get them back to something more usable.   They all work fine now but as you say "now to set it up".  Was gonna buy a new die set and start over using what I had leaned from the 550.   And I wasn't looking forward to it!

Had to cut down my sizing die to get started.  Now I am seating on one die with a micro adjustment and roll crimping on another die that I really had to cut down.  

Appreciate the help #4!

• Like 1

First of all  Goody,  yes 25/20  my bad editing... Or lack thereof.

Levi,  you got it right , grinder to shorten the die body...

I broke most because of the over-length dies.  but be very careful about the de-priming stage,  a primer not completely out, then into the primer stage snaps the shell plate!  I now have two sizing/de-priming stages. stage one and two.  Stage one de-prime & size the neck and "start: the shoulder, stage two size more neck and move shoulder back more so ammo fits 10 different guns PLUS secondary de=primer (read longer punch setting) .  I removed the primer swage tool.

Other than that/those it just keeps on loading, except when I miss a 38 brass and it stops the case feed arm.

Good Luck,  I love the 32 - 20 and have been shooting with them since 1959, can't give up an old habit.

Ol'  #4

Edited by Ol Number4
  • Like 1