SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Warden Callaway

Shooting Josey Wales - practicing up

I'm thinking of shooting at least one match this fall Josey Wales.  This morning I  shoot 40 rounds at 25 yards.  I may have to rethink this idea.   

I shot both pistols (Smoke Wagon 44WCF) at 25 yards from rest to check point of aim at that distance. My groups were not impressive but averaged high but windage was ok on average.   Then I shot each duelist - left and right handled.  Then gunfighter.   My cardboard targets were about 20" square.  I'm hitting about 60% shooting gunfighter at that size target and distance.   Not a good performance. 

At the next match we plan to shoot, they tend to have smaller targets further away.  The last match they shot the falling tumbstone rack with rifle at about 25 yards.  It was a challenge with a rifle as the last target is about the size of a pound coffee can.   Match before that they shot the falling plate rack with 8" plates with rifle at about 25 yards. I'd have 10 shots to hit 5 targets.  Their normal rifle targets are not big or close.

Our range usually sets up big and close so I'd have a better chance of hitting most of them in a reasonable time period.  

Warden  When I was shooting JW at The Smokeout in the Hills our rifle targets were not huge or too close. It makes you slow down just a little and will really improve your everyday pistol accuracy. Besides you arent  competing against rifles in JW.  It is a hoot and BP just makes it even more fun.

Imis and good luck

• Like 1

You just need more practice.  I have a set of pistols with 7 1/2 in barrels for just such occasions.  As Imis stated, slowdown and take a little more time aiming.

When I started shooting NCOWS about a year and a half ago I had a lot of misses.  Now still have misses but not near as many. The key for me was to slow down and make sure I had the proper sight picture.

• Like 1

I shot handgun silhouette 40 years ago. Both 100 meter and 200 meter.  I only did midline well but the targets are much smaller and further away.  But I was shooting a S&W 686 at the 100 meter and a Thompson Contender 14" 35 Remington with 2x Leupold scope at 200 meters. 

I'm not going to be shocked if my time goes long and my misses add up. I just would like to make a creditable showing. 

The fact your willing to try it is "a showing"!

If your the only one in that category, you'll place first anyway!

I shot two matches JW after surgery on my left arm. Instead of shooting strong hand, I stuck with GF across the board. The misses go up, but if you make a good showing you will get the recognition you deserve.

Last match my SG stopped firing the 2nd bbl, or let both bbls go at once (bent sear). Never knew what was going to happen after the first shot! I shot the whole match with that shotgun just using it as a single shot when it didn't properly fire after the 1st pair of targets. My time went long, but my ability to reload every shot was outstanding and I kept the rest of the stages together. I learned something that match. Train wrecks happen, and  you can still pull off the match without throwing up your hands. If you can reload a SXS as fast as a 97, your still in the running. I only had 2 misses for the whole match and placed in the top ten. In my book, that was better than shooting clean!

Just go for it Warden! It can only make you a better shooter!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Blast Masterson said:

Just go for it Warden! It can only make you a better shooter!

Go have fun and enjoy yourself.

Keep practicing and work at it.   I doubt Josey hit every Yankee or Red Leg he shot at when he first started.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was preparing to shoot Josey Wales last Sunday but the match was rained out.  My next chance will be this coming Saturday at our local match.    The targets will be bigger and closer than the other range.   

We've had storms and company all week so I've not practiced. And it's going  to be pretty cool.   100% chance of rain tomorrow and again on Sunday.  But Saturday the forecast is for a low of 46 and a high of 55 and overcast.

I watched J-Bar shoot it at Border Wars last weekend.  He was shooting a ROA with cap and ball for the shotgun.

I decided that Josie Wales did not describe the style adequately.  When shot with all pistols it is now "Mexican 5 Gun".

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Noz said:

I watched J-Bar shoot it at Border Wars last weekend.  He was shooting a ROA with cap and ball for the shotgun.

I decided that Josie Wales did not describe the style adequately.  When shot with all pistols it is now "Mexican 5 Gun".

Just because the plaque said “Jose Wales”!  :D

I only have 2 plaques displayed in my den, this is one of the two.  It’s beautiful!! :D

The match officials allowed me to use all handguns because I had a surgery incision on my right cheek, which prevented me from using rifle and shotgun.  I appreciate their flexibility and hospitality.  Just because one letter was omitted on the plaque is no justification for complaint.  Anyone looking for a fun one-day match should consider Border Wars.  None finer.  ;)

Edited by J-BAR #18287
  • Like 1

When I had my leather made, I had a left side cross draw included.  I thought about putting it on my belt instead of a shotgun slide and packing 3 pistols.   Maybe next time.  

YeeeHaaa!  I shot Josey Wales today and did much better than I anticipated.  Three clean stages, missed two on two stages and four on another. 

The stage I missed four was at a plate rack of five 8" plates.  The scenario was - five plate rack with large target on right and left.  Shot a large target and then a plate and so on.  So every shot had to hit.  We shot the same target arrangement on another scenario that allowed a total of eight shots to get all five plates down. 

Anyway,  it was the last scheduled match of the year for our club.  

• Like 1

Welcome to the club!  :D

It's not about winning or losing. 

It's about the Experience .

Josey Wales Lives Forever  !

Rooster