SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tascosa, SASS# 24838

Ballistol

I just bought Ballistol mainly to lube and clean my firearms. I shoot only smokeless so that's all Im interested in. What are you opinions on Ballistol? Good for lube? Good for cleaning? Thanks for your answers.

I shoot BP and use it. I dilute mine 50/50 with water. Cleans great....inside & outside.

• Like 4

When you see what it's made of. You'll see there's much better choices out there. Especially for smokeless.

http://www.ballistol.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/MSDS_TECH_BIO.pdf

I much prefer EEZOX, over all else. 

OLG

• Like 2

I use it to lubricate my guns shooting black powder, but I'll use it on smokeless guns as well, if I don't have my regular oil available.  

• Like 1

When shooting black powder and substitutes, I use Ballistol and love it.

When cleaning after shooting smokeless powder, I use Hoppe's #9 or a CLP like Breakfree or Lucas CLP..  

I'm not sure I can give logical reasons, other than I don't have any rust on my guns.

• Like 7

Worked for me cleaning up after a day of bp shooting but I would reccomend using something else for long term storage. My experience for storing guns for a few months was some rust, not a lot, with guns stored in rugs after wiping them down with Ballistol.

It smells like barf, to me. I won’t use it.

Since my BP Sub career was very short lived I gave what I had to a neighbor. I use Hoppe’s #9 for cleaning and Pro-Shot “Zero Friction” lubricant for my smokeless cleaning and lube. Oh, and Mobil One synthetic grease when I need grease. (thanks Sedalia Dave ;))

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

I just bought Ballistol mainly to lube and clean my firearms. I shoot only smokeless so that's all Im interested in. What are you opinions on Ballistol? Good for lube? Good for cleaning? Thanks for your answers.

I cannot give a valid answer to these questions, since I shoot only BP. However, as a long-time user of the product, I have become aware that a certain percentage of those of the female persuasion will be more than happy to give you their opinion of Ballistol...Often in rather strong terms. My wife likened the aroma to that of a pile dirty gym socks. That is the reason why I have a large bath-exhaust fan - with outdoor exit - located in the ceiling of the basement gun room...compromise being the name of the game. It might be a wise precaution to try a "sniff test" with any ladies in your household before you commit to spreading the aroma around.

FWIW, the aroma is distinct, but does not offend me at all, and I use nothing else but Ballistol on my guns.

CS

I almost gag on the smell, I hate that stuff. I use Break Free CLP for smokeless. Cleaner Lubricant Preservative

• Like 2

I used Ballistol when I had a couple boxes of the wipes to clean up and preserve a boatload of M-1 Garand clips I had.  They seemed to perform pretty well.

Ballistol on my BP Guns.

Hoppies on my Smokeless Guns .

Always Worked For Me .

No Need to Change Now !

Rooster 

A little dab behind each ear drives the wimmen crazy.:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Ballistol works good for BP, Smokeless, cosmoline, leather, and wood.  Hoppees number 9 changed in the 1970’s.  You might as well use water.

Edited by MAYOBARD SASS #13025L
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I “revitalized” an old dried up leather belt with some ballistol. Worked great - the leather softened up and regained its color and then the the dog ate  most of it. 

Edited by Too Tall Bob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

I love the stuff

• Like 1

Ballistol takes all the work out of gun cleaning, and it is non-toxic.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Funny I can hardly smell the stuff.

I can't either. What I can smell isn't all that bad

• Like 1

Thanks for all yer responses. I used hopes 9 for cleaning and rem oil for lube, and some grease for my Garand. I will test Ballistol on 2guns. clean one with hopes, and the other with Ballistol. And see what happens.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 3:07 PM, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

Thanks for all yer responses. I used hopes 9 for cleaning and rem oil for lube, and some grease for my Garand. I will test Ballistol on 2guns. clean one with hopes, and the other with Ballistol. And see what happens.

I won a DMPS AR in a raffle a few years ago.  Reading the owners manual it specifically stated not to use RemOil for lubrication.  Researching the issue it seems that RemOil is too light of an oil to allow the action to function reliably.  Wound up using 30 wt Mobil 1 motor oil and it works like a champ and will reliably feed everything I have shot including steel case ammo.

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2018 at 11:48 AM, Yul Lose said:

A little dab behind each ear drives the wimmen crazy.:lol:

Not mine..If I'm using Ballistol  my wife will come nowhere near the shed..hates the smell !!

• Haha 1

Fairly good cleaner for BP. It was good for the turn of the century. But Windex is cheaper and works better. It’s a decent lube for bp guns. I I use Breakfree or Militek on all my smokeless firearms.

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:06 AM, Too Tall Bob said:

I “revitalized” an old dried up leather belt with some ballistol. Worked great - the leather softened up and regained its color and then the the dog ate  most of it. 

Did the dog live?

Yeah - she p - - ped wierd for 2  days but she’s just fine now.

I was given a can but I didn’t like Balistol overall. Didn’t like the smell at all. My usual motto is “If it’s free, it’s for me!” I would not take another can for free. 

I use Simple Green, Windex or Moose Milk for BP clean up then oil with Triflow, Breakfree or Militech.  

Sometimes I use Hoppes No 9 to clean smokeless fouling.  I have a small bottle of the 1960’s formula that my dad left me. I have bottle of the modern formula my son gave as a gift. The old stuff is way better!

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Ethan Cord said:

I was given a can but I didn’t like Balistol overall. Didn’t like the smell at all. My usual motto is “If it’s free, it’s for me!” I would not take another can for free. 

I use Simple Green, Windex or Moose Milk for BP clean up then oil with Triflow, Breakfree or Militech.  

Sometimes I use Hoppes No 9 to clean smokeless fouling.  I have a small bottle of the 1960’s formula that my dad left me. I have bottle of the modern formula my son gave as a gift. The old stuff is way better!

Moose Milk .

Is just  Balistol and Water ! 

20 minutes ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Moose Milk .

Is just  Balistol and Water ! 

My Moose Milk recipie (there are many)is:

1/3 parts of Hydrogen Peroxide, Isopropyl Alcohol and Murphy’s Oil Soap. It’s much easier to mix up a batch of this stuff than it is to milk an actual moose. 

• Haha 3

I have been using it for a few years!

I like it,and Wife does not mind the smell.

I sometimes clean the guns in the bedroom,I close the door and keep the cats away from the guns.I toss the cleaning rags into the trash basket in the bedroom,wife does not mind!

it is much Cheaper by the Gallon!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just where does one buy a gallon of Ballistol?:blink:

• Thanks 1

I don't like Balistol at all.  Only thing I found it good for was softening stiff boots or shoes.  If I need to clean smokeless guns I like Breakfree which is the Biz for smokeless fouling.  If I need to clean after BP/Subs, just warm water.  If I need to keep BP guns running during a match, PAM.  If I need to reliably lube ANYTHING I use Mobil 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well shoot amigos... Some swear by it and some swear at it. Im back where I started.B) I've got some leather chaps that have been hanging for about 10 years since I got rid of our horses, so I will try it on them. And still do my tests when I get to the range (the gun range as opposed to "out on the range")

I will post my findings, or conclusions, or reports. Or maybe even my opinion (haa like that's not going to happen):D

Again much obliged for y'alls answers.

• Like 2