SASS Wire Forum
Pat Riot, SASS #13748

Cabela’s ain’t Cabela’s any more.

Bass Pro used to be one of my favorite sporting goods stores. Then I discovered Cabela’s and even though some of their prices were high they had some good things going for them. They kicked Bass Pro’s butt in better all around service.

The Gun Library. You could find deals and sell guns at a fair price. Not any more.

Veteran’s discounts on guns and ammo. Not any more.

New gun layaways. Not any more.

Decent prices on many things. Not any more.

Decent ammo selection with so-so prices. Not any more.

Decent selection of reloading supplies. Not any more.

The management of Bass Pro has ruined Cabela’s.

Now some of you may not like Cabela’s but some folks do, obviously, they wouldn’t be in business otherwise. But today I went into Cabela’s for 3 things.

One was to pay on my Club Card.

Two was to look at Glocks. I want another Gen 5.

Three was to buy a 10/22 Takedown with the 16.5” barrel.

One, they took my money and put it towards my card.

Two, their selections of Glocks sucked and the prices are stupid high. They raised handgun prices, again.

Three, the lamest of all, they didn’t have the Ruger I wanted in stock. They told me to “order it on line”. The salesman told me that. A manager told me that and the girl at the In Store Pickup window told me that. Not one person asked to help me order it or to help in any way. I wanted to know if I could use my points online to buy it. I got 3 “I think so” responses.

What kind of dope are these people smoking?

Johnny Morris, you dipstick! You and your idiots ruined my Cabela’s, you moron! I hope you choke on a purple rubber worm you D’bag.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

Tell us how you really feel there Pat :lol:

I agree btw :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I haven't been in a Cabela's since Bass Pro acquired the brand.  I had always preferred Cabela's.  Hmmmm....

• Like 1

I think Pat is a little bit angry !!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The worlds changing 

What’s really ironic is me, my Dad and my brother bought fishing lures from Johnny Morris at a boat landing at Beaver Lake near Rogers Arkansas in the early 70’s when I was 11 years old. He had a trailer he towed around that had flip up sides and he sold lures and tackle from it. He turned my Dad on to rubber worms and buzz baits.

We thought he was the coolest guy...

Now he and his minions have taken an awesome venture, two awesome ventures and turned them into sanitized $#1+!

Edited by Pat Riot, SASS #13748
  • Like 1

Its all about Profits and Not about People !

I was a  supporter of Cabela's .

They are Now just another Giant Retail Store ,  and NOT a Big Friendly Sporting Good Store  Anymore .

Rooster  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grenadier said:

The worlds changing 

Yes it is and ain't nothing about this change for the better.

• Like 3

Now I think Pat is REALLY MAD:angry:

• Like 1

We hit Bass Pro in Springfield just for the NRA Museum.   Never buy anything.  We go into the local Bass Pro for amusement.   This time of year they will have an acre of millions of dollars worth of goofy stuff to hunt deer. I marvel at all the things they came up with.  Son and daughter-in-law gave Sawmill Mary a Cabelas gift card for Christmas.   In January we drove two hours to the nearest Cabelas and she walked around for an hour and couldn't find anything she'd spend money on.  

• Like 1

Cabelas changed to Capital One credit cards.  I shredded my old card and closed my account.  Doubt I'll do any business with them from now on.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

There's one in Glendale.  The biggest gripes I hear about them are it takes FOREVER to actually purchase a firearm, EVERY firearm in the store has to have a trigger lock which they will not remove even to try the action and, the dumbing down of their sales staff.

Ok, I work in a little shop. Just me, the boss and a couple three part-timers. Didn't think I would enjoy retail after retiring from the S.O. but that's another story. Shop's one of the oldest in town. Spent over an hour with ONE customer yesterday discussing the best method for him and his son-in-law to build an AR 308 platform rifle and...what to feed it. Would reloading save me money, he asks. So I get out my Lyman book and some items off the shelf for price comparisons...and a calculator.

Now, I already know I couldn't shoot CAS without reloading. We talked about that and why. I showed him how my own 5.56 reloads, in once fired brass cost me about $150 per 1,000. In new brass its double that and about even with the best price available from a wholesaler. Showed him he could save money by reloading BUT....there's his time involved PLUS...bottleneck cases need to be trimmed, prepped and so on. Unlike my CAS ammo.

He pointed out that he couldn't get the kind of customer service at Cabela's he gets at our shop.

I shop at Cabela's... sale days. Still got a gift card I got from me son-in-law for father's day. I'm going again this weekend (will be the fourth trip to do this, LOL) and see if I can't spend it up. I am very disappointed in the "new" Cabela's.

• Like 3

There is a Cabela's locally where I live. I'll have to make the drive over there to see if the ownership change has affected their business model yet. I certainly hope not as they've always been pretty decent. If they start to suck I'll just take all my business to the local mom and pop stores.

• Like 2

Cabela's doesn't hold the same fascination for me that it once did. I agree with all of the previous posts regarding prices, selection, etc. I'm not quite as angry as Pat, but I can say don't ever go there and try to trade a gun for another one. Now I know, that you always do better selling outright vs trading, but what they offered me for a quality gun that I paid a fair price for was insulting. Then the Gun Dept. manager tried to give me some BS that 'that's what we wholesale them out for'. The price they offered me was less than 1/3 of what the gun wholesales for new. And, there was no break on the MSRP + for the gun that I wanted.  I realize that people need to make a profit, but geeeze, louise....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

Cabela's doesn't hold the same fascination for me that it once did. I agree with all of the previous posts regarding prices, selection, etc. I'm not quite as angry as Pat, but I can say don't ever go there and try to trade a gun for another one. Now I know, that you always do better selling outright vs trading, but what they offered me for a quality gun that I paid a fair price for was insulting. Then the Gun Dept. manager tried to give me some BS that 'that's what we wholesale them out for'. The price they offered me was less than 1/3 of what the gun wholesales for new. And, there was no break on the MSRP + for the gun that I wanted.  I realize that people need to make a profit, but geeeze, louise....

Cabela's used to take your gun and give it a fair review then take the Blue Book value and knock 20-30% off that price and that is what they offered. Now they take the lowest Blue Book then knock 40-50% off that price and that is what they offer. I agree. It's an insult.

• Like 1

The one that opened up in Albuquerque... well if Home Depot had dead animals and fishing lures....

I was admiring a beautiful 1873 Winchester at our local Cabelas a few years ago. 44/40 in 85-90% orignal condition and it had a price tag to match. I said the guy “ that’s a dandy rifle and a dandy price” he replied, “ Some yahoo brought it in here and traded it for an AR15.” 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Now I think Pat is REALLY MAD:angry:

I was going to point out that he was actually angry, but perhaps you are more correct.   :lol:

• Haha 2

I couldn't agree more with Pat. I was hitting Cabelas at least once a month to stock up on ammo, usually their in-house Herters brand whenever it was on sale. Well, I waited all summer long for it to go back on sale again but it never did, and when they finally put it on sale last weekend I drove up there and... they were all out of stock. Normally they had shelves full of it, but now it's just a small section and the shelves were bone dry except for the ones NOT on sale. I complained to the nearby salesman and he basically just brushed me off. Fortunately I was able to go home and order it online, but it was a complete waste of a Saturday morning and $10 worth of gas. So it looks like I may continue to do business with them via their online store, but I probably won't waste my time driving up to their retail store ever again.

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot about what Dubious Don mentioned regarding trigger guards on everything. I looked at a Glock 43 yesterday and the sales guy said he wasn't allowed to take the trigger lock off. I said "Huh...I guess that means I am not allowed to buy it". He thought I was kidding.

Last month I went through he same headache at Cabela's in Lone Tree, CO.  They had a 1895 Winchester in 405.  It took three sales people to OK me opening the action to look in the barrel.  The barrel was not an original Winchester.  They had an antique 1894 Marlin That they did not seem to know it was a takedown.   I could have stayed in there and told them some information on their Marlins and Winchesters as I collect them both but the sales people were not interested in learning anything. 

• Like 1

Take a great store, buy it out then screw it up so that the customers are turned away and you eventually go out of business citing lack of sales. It's the American Way.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

I think Pat is a little bit angry !!!!!

Maybe a little prickly...:D

• Haha 2

Wonder if they will shut down the RV dump stations and un-official camping area that many have? :unsure:

OLG

10 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Wonder if they will shut down the RV dump stations and un-official camping area that many have? :unsure:

OLG

Bass Pro in NC didn’t have that accommodation but I don’t know about others. If it doesn’t turn a profit, I am sure it will end.

I had decided to say “screw Cabela’s” and wait to buy my 10/22 takedown from someone else. I have $275 in points so I figured I would buy some new Glock 10 round CA legal mags. I like having at least a dozen mags for each mag fed gun so that would be a good use for the money.

10 round Glock 17 mags are around $25 at many places and $30 at others. Glock mags at Cabela’s all run around $30 so I figured “What the heck, just buy some mags.”

$40...$40 is what Cabela’s wants for G17 - 10 round magazines.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Glock-Factory-Magazines/709880.uts?slotId=0

I don’t know about other non-Cabela’s or non-Bass Pro branded gear but the prices on all gun related stuff has been jacked up. 

Cabela’s has had the motto “World’s Foremost Outfitter” for decades. And I have to agree, they probably WERE. That motto is still on their Bass Pro / Cabela’s catalogs, just got one in the mail.

I am not sure about other Cabela’s but the one by me now has camping and cooking sections and selections that are 1/3 what they were. What took up the room for the other 2/3 when removed? Fishing gear.

The gun, shooting accessory and ammo section has been consolidated and inventory reduced to make room for decorative crap and kid stuff. A Bass Pro staple to attract Mommies and Kiddies into the Bass Pro shopping experience. 

Makes me sick.

I’ll bet some of you are thinking “Gee Pat, why not quit belly-aching and Email Cabela’s/ Bass Pro and complain?”

I have. It goes no where. Some low paid minion always says “I have forwarded your concerns to our Leadership Team (Pukey freakin term) and they will get back to you” They don’t and when you inquire over and over they just don’t respond.

Guess I will just have to stop buying from them and cancel my Cabela’s Club card. Screw them!

But not until I do everything I can to make sure their management knows how I feel and not until I can wring every benefit out of them I can. Those points will not be wasted.

• Like 1

I was never impressed with Cabela's, prices are too high and the staff is generally not so gun-educated! I never buy anything there!

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

Pat,

10 round magazines for Glock just don't seem right. Well, it ain't right. And what's the point if you can't even conceal carry in California?

I'd probably opt for a 7 or 8 shot 357 Magnum Revolver.

Does that Cabela's have a decent Gun Library with a decent used firearm selection? Wait until you find something that you simply can't pass up. My Cabelas locally, while not large usually has something in the used firearm library that is very appealing. And the numbnuts who run the place tend to miss firearms values occasionally and I have gotten some absolute steals from them.

Cabela's was a major sponsor for the Maine State championship for many years. When Basspro took over the outside activities person was gone. So was our sponsorship.  

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Bass Pro in NC didn’t have that accommodation but I don’t know about others. If it doesn’t turn a profit, I am sure it will end.

They never did charge for the dump or overnight stay.

These were in Az, Ut, and Mt.

OLG

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Pat,

10 round magazines for Glock just don't seem right. Well, it ain't right. And what's the point if you can't even conceal carry in California?

Does that Cabela's have a decent Gun Library with a decent used firearm selection? Wait until you find something that you simply can't pass up. My Cabelas locally, while not large usually has something in the used firearm library that is very appealing. And the numbnuts who run the place tend to miss firearms values occasionally and I have gotten some absolute steals from them.

Where do you get your CCW info from? :wacko:

Many counties/cites have no problems with CCW permits. Only the liberal cess-pools like LA City/County and SFO are the roadblocks.

The mag deal is tied up in the court, for now.

OLG

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Pat,

I also have the 8 shot S&W 327NG. Wonderful revolver. That one is the "ugly" in my triad.

The Tualatin store Gun Library sucks. I'd say more but there would be cussing and extreme blood pressure enhancement involved.

I know lots of people who have concealed carry permits in California. (Sorry about the boldface; this site always gives me problems about 'turning off' these font features....)