SASS Wire Forum

Recently I was at the local gun store filling out the paperwork for my most recent 1911 acquisition when I glanced at the advertisement on the counter next to me. It was about the new Glock, the Glock 45. Since I had no idea what the Glock 45 was all about I asked. And then I asked if they had one. And of course they did so they showed it to me. Boy oh boy...;)

It is basically the new Glock 19X (9mm) but in black and with all of the Generation 5 changes like the flared mag well but without the magazine cut out on the front strap. It has front slide serrations, excellent sights, and a pretty decent trigger. It also does away with the lanyard loop that is basically totally unnecessary on a civilian market handgun. Pat will know :D but for those of you who don't it has the Glock 17 larger frame but with the Glock 19 shorter slide. I think Glock finally got it right in respect to many things, if you like Glocks. 

I'm thinking I might have to sell my Gen 4 Glock 17 and my HK VP9 and buy this. The balance of the gun was perfect for me.  The fit and finish seemed to be more polished than previous generation Glocks. Nothing stellar or artistic, just better. The design changes finally came together culminating in something Glock that finally stands out, even in all of Glock's usual perfection. ;)

And yes, I am a 1911 guy. :o 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I haven’t seen one yet. I do love my 19X. I want a Glock 45...just because. ;)

Many say they wish it had a 17 slide and a 19 frame. I say to them “Write Gaston Glock a letter or email.” I think the 19X is a wonderful pistol. I think a G45 will be too.

@Dantankerous

I was going to ask how much they are going for,  but then if I did,  I wouldn't be able to afford it! :o;)

Normal Glock price.

• Thanks 1

I think that Glock made a big screw up with the 45. How confusing? They could've made it a 6" .45...but instead they made some crossover modification that could've been made in the same model number. Oh well, I'm not buying one. I was impressed enough with the 19. Besides all I really need in this world is another Vaquero or two...say twelve shot cylinders in .22 LR...

The 19X just....balances. The longer grip frame is nice if you have large hands. We had a G45 in the shop up until Sat, surprised it lasted so long LOL (no, wasn't me who bought it) the 45's only "major" feature is the forward serrations which I could care less about. At least it isn't in a goofy color like the 19X. Of course, my EDC is a goofy color, digital camo. Go figure.

The numbering system Glock uses is that they increase the number each time they release a new gun. The Glock 45 is the next gun after the G44 (which hasn't been released yet...duh...). Just like the Glock 17 was named the 17 because it was the 17th patent that Gaston Glock created or received, not because it held 17 rounds. The 45 is not named for round count or bullet diameter. It's just the next number in their numbering sequence. I have no idea how the 19X falls in...just like I can't figure out how S&W comes up with many of their numbers and the same goes for Ruger. Glock isn't the first to cause confusion like this.

1936528598_Glock45Gen5.thumb.jpg.428d9210d4fdcdf26d75db48d1be06e9.jpg

Given the fact that a lot of people will be confused into thinking it's a .45 you'd think they'd call it a 46, or maybe 19XB instead.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Given the fact that a lot of people will be confused into thinking it's a .45 you'd think they'd call it a 46, or maybe 19XB instead.

my thoughts exactly....

Who the heck at Glock comes up with these model numbers? Try working behind the counter when someone comes in asks for a Glock 45!! How about the Glock 22??? Totally ridiculous!:wacko:

• Thanks 1

@Rye Miles #13621

What about the Gen numbers as well.

I don't know a whole lot about them, but if they are anything like the Generations in a family tree I can only imagine someone going to the counter and asking for a Glock 19X twice removed! :blink::P

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The numbering system Glock uses is that they increase the number each time they release a new gun. The Glock 45 is the next gun after the G44 (which hasn't been released yet...duh...). Just like the Glock 17 was named the 17 because it was the 17th patent that Gaston Glock created or received, not because it held 17 rounds. The 45 is not named for round count or bullet diameter. It's just the next number in their numbering sequence. I have no idea how the 19X falls in...just like I can't figure out how S&W comes up with many of their numbers and the same goes for Ruger. Glock isn't the first to cause confusion like this.

Don't forget about their first product... the Glock 7, a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn't show up on airport X-ray machines and it costs more than what you make in a month! <_<

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Don't forget about their first product... the Glock 7, a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn't show up on airport X-ray machines and it costs more than what you make in a month! <_<

John McClane had one pointed at him and he lived....Oh, the Humanity...

I believe that was also the first major film where Glocks were used... before they became a household name.

• Thanks 1

I see no reason for the front slide grooves. Accident looking to happen if you ask me.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I see no reason for the front slide grooves. Accident looking to happen if you ask me.

YUP:excl:

Many autos these dayz have them on the front.

No reason for it...........:rolleyes:

OLG

Double yup. You're supposed to be keeping your fingers away from the front of the slide.

12 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Recently I was at the local gun store filling out the paperwork for my most recent 1911 acquisition when I glanced at the advertisement on the counter next to me. It was about the new Glock, the Glock 45.

Dantankerous, what are they asking at your LGS? I found them today at a gun  store about 30 miles from me for $540. That looks like a great price. I may have to take  long lunch tomorrow.

I have never had front serrations on a pistol. Never saw a need for them. Would probably never use them.

do understand that some folks like them for doing a "press check" to see if a gun has a round in the chamber. They do look nice...

I could see them chewing up a leather holster. I can also see them getting hung up on clothing or vegetation.

I guess it's all in what you like and how one is taught to handle a gun, regarding this "press check".

I think it's all about the "cool" in "Tacti-Cool". :D

39 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Dantankerous, what are they asking at your LGS? I found them today at a gun  store about 30 miles from me for $540. That looks like a great price. I may have to take  long lunch tomorrow.

Looks like you found a good price. $589 with standard Glock sights or $689 with the large Ameriglo and rear metal site are the prices this particular dealer had listed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Looks like you found a good price. $589 with standard Glock sights or $689 with the large Ameriglo and rear metal site are the prices this particular dealer had listed.

I was hoping to find one with the Glock Night Sights like the ones on my 19X. I know they are Trijicon sights so I could always get them later. I think I am going to go pick me up a Glock 45 tomorrow. Then I will have my “good”, my “bad” and my “ugly”. :D 

Glock Factory sights get the job done but any other sight is going to be better on a Glock than the stock factory sights. I really like the big Ameriglos that they are currently using. 

I have found prices on these models lower on GunBroker but by the time you add in shipping and FFL charges, you might as well just buy it locally. Ain't nuthin' wrong with that neither! ;) Well, it helps if you like the folks that run the mom and pop store too. :D AND, they surenuff ain't Cabela's! 

• Haha 1

Well, I just made the quickest gun purchase I have ever made. Walked into the store at noon and was out the door at 12:10 with my new Glock 45 9mm with 3 - 17 round mags and a big grin on my face. $539.99 total. Yeehaw! :D

That will be the last time that happens for me for a few years...'cause, California here I come (in a week or so)

• Like 1

You didn't waste any time at all. :DCongrats on the new purchase. Let us know how your first day at the range goes.

• Like 1

I sure will. :D

I decided to jump on it. Glad I did. I got the last one they had. The salesman said as soon as they posted that they got them in stock they flew off the shelves.

On 10/31/2018 at 11:51 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Keep the H&K. ;)

OLG

The H&K VP 9 is almost a great pistol. Excellent trigger and ergonomics arguably a tad better than the Glock. MUCH better factory sights than factory Glock sights too. I just can't quite get used to the European style trigger guard mag release. I've trained and trained with it but hitting the mag release is just not going to be as fluid as the grip mounted mag button. It carries easily and is very accurate but has 15 round mags vs the standard 17 round mag thr Glock 17 has and the plastic cocking "ears" on the back of the slide have come off when racking the gun. 

The Glock ain't perfect either, but for me Glocks have been trouble free, very reliable and user friendly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Glock14thGeneration.jpg

That would be funny if it wasn't so sad. :P

Gen 1 and Gen 2 Colt 1911s. ;)

141628_017b18667d600364fa8171209c12e30f.jpg

• Like 1

Glock now uses their own brand night sights. That I think are made by Meprolight Sights in Israel.

https://www.glockmeister.com/Meprolight-Fixed-Night-Sights-65mm-GREEN_GREEN/productinfo/ML-10224/

Very good sights and have them on my G/22.

OLG

22 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, I just made the quickest gun purchase I have ever made. Walked into the store at noon and was out the door at 12:10 with my new Glock 45 9mm with 3 - 17 round mags and a big grin on my face. $539.99 total. Yeehaw! :D

That will be the last time that happens for me for a few years...'cause, California here I come (in a week or so)

Buy more mags. ;)

The only thing I would change on your 2 Glocks, would be to a Glock extended slide release if the make one yet for the double sided ones.

OLG

Edited by The Original Lumpy Gritz

6 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

The H&K VP 9 is almost a great pistol. Excellent trigger and ergonomics arguably a tad better than the Glock. MUCH better factory sights than factory Glock sights too. I just can't quite get used to the European style trigger guard mag release. I've trained and trained with it but hitting the mag release is just not going to be as fluid as the grip mounted mag button. It carries easily and is very accurate but has 15 round mags vs the standard 17 round mag thr Glock 17 has and the plastic cocking "ears" on the back of the slide have come off when racking the gun. 

The Glock ain't perfect either, but for me Glocks have been trouble free, very reliable and user friendly. 

One of the things I really like about my H&K USP, is the mag release. I don't have to change my grip to release the mag with the trigger finger.

OLG