SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Subdeacon Joe

Understanding Combat Engineers

Well,  I was always taught the shortest distance was a straight line....I think that works...

Texas Lizard

I think that’s a good meme for any engineer, not just the combat fellows.  “Crude but effective” has been my motto ever since surviving the Engineering College at the University of Colorado.

:ph34r:

I’d say it applies to tankers too. 

But Combat Engineers do it with more finess. 

Essayons!

• Like 1

Dad was in an engineering battalion in the European Theater.   He said they learned quick to shoot off the top of church steepals first thing when entering a town.  And not go through doors building by building to clear them.  They would blow a hole through the wall, toss in a grenade before entering.  

• Like 1

All of the Combat Engineer I ever knew believed there was no problem that could not be solved with sufficient explosives.  No hinderance ever survived being blown to smithereens.

• Like 2

I was a tanker, Steve Rew was a Seabee. We could mess some stuff up!

Imis

I think this covers about 50% of many Engineers in various disciplines. 

I love it it when I am explaining something to an engineer and I get “that look”. The look of “Oh, okay, I get it” the eyes widen, the face brightens and then immediately the look of “holy crap, it’s so obvious, why didn’t I think of that?” Followed by a look of disdain that I often assume means. “How did this uneducated lower life form figure this out?”.

When I see this look I smile at them and say “It’s okay, you’ll get it eventually.”

That really irks ‘em. :D

Now, that being said, I have worked with some fantastic Engineers that impressed the hell out of me. I have great respect for them.

• Like 1

My son was one.  I know that type of thinking got him and his buddies out of some dangerous situations too.