Wild Bunch Boards > Reloading for Wild Bunch

45LC overall length with Trail Boss

<< < (2/2)

J. Frank Norfleet:
Short answer: no Trail Boss does not even come close to filling the case. I can reach power factor with a 200 gr RNFP and the powder in the case is about half way up to the bottom of the bullet. That is why I shoot TB in my rifle. At least I can see there is powder in the case. GJ doesn't like TB; I do. We don't shoot that many rifle rounds so I am more comfortable loading TB in a rifle where I can catch a double charge. I shoot a couple jugs of Red Dot through my pistol each year because it is cheap but Trail Boss in my rifles. It fits my program and not his, no biggie.

My rifle shoots 45 Schofields. They are .18" shorter than 45 Colts. That might be the answer to your length problem. if not trim your Colt brass to the length you need and load them.

Reloading is a whole new learning curve. My advice is buy a case gauge. If it doesn't drop in and fall out; it probably won't shoot.
JFN

Billptc:
Thanks both of you for detailed info. This is a new game to me. Trying to get info prior to getting equipment and components. 45LC is for rifle in wild bunch. Use 38SP for pistol and rifle in CAS. Lucky on rifle length because Widowmaker customized my Marlin 94CB carrier to use all different 38SP lenghts.
Have a great day

lostvaquero:

--- Quote from: J. Frank Norfleet on December 08, 2017, 08:05:03 PM ---Short answer: no Trail Boss does not even come close to filling the case. I can reach power factor with a 200 gr RNFP and the powder in the case is about half way up to the bottom of the bullet. That is why I shoot TB in my rifle. At least I can see there is powder in the case. GJ doesn't like TB; I do. We don't shoot that many rifle rounds so I am more comfortable loading TB in a rifle where I can catch a double charge. I shoot a couple jugs of Red Dot through my pistol each year because it is cheap but Trail Boss in my rifles. It fits my program and not his, no biggie.

My rifle shoots 45 Schofields. They are .18" shorter than 45 Colts. That might be the answer to your length problem. if not trim your Colt brass to the length you need and load them.

Reloading is a whole new learning curve. My advice is buy a case gauge. If it doesn't drop in and fall out; it probably won't shoot.
JFN

--- End quote ---

I  use TB in 45LC as well (and 45acp and my regular 38 Cowboy loads).  As stated, in 45 Colt not a problem with compression.  Considering my load with TB in 38 special works just right for 45acp with 230g, I have been looking using 45 Cowboy Special in the rifle.  Yes, lazy in that if I can get one setting for everything, but then less adjusting and having something to amiss.  TB might be more expensive but no way to double charge, cases will overflow which one reason I like it.

J. Frank Norfleet:
45 Cowboy Special would drive me crazy. It is too close to 45 ACP and would make sorting the brass a nightmare. I know some shoot it because I came home from EoT with one in my brass.
JFN

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version