Author Topic: 2019 ACT State Wild Bunch Match  (Read 417 times)

trooper

• WBAS Committee & Ambassadors
2019 ACT State Wild Bunch Match
« on: October 11, 2018, 10:45:10 PM »
That's Australian Capital Territory  ...and I realise you folks would have great difficulty attending... but hey, you never know right?

If nothing else it shows we are running matches when we can.  25-27 January  SSAA ACT Majura Range Canberra ACT.

Main Match is 10 stages. 6 Saturday 4 Sunday..... 270 Pistol.  75 Rifle  50 Shotgun

Side Matches Friday afternoon... Bolt Action Rifle.  (25 rounds)  "Speed Pistol" (42 Rounds  :)))  The Doughboy Stage.  Precision Pistol

Saturday night - Pizza and Wild Bunch Era Trivia Quiz.

Wish us luck!  Will endeavour to post a photo report...

Intentionally Blank

Legendary Lawman

Re: 2019 ACT State Wild Bunch Match
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 03:21:35 PM »
Sounds like it's going to be lots of fun with lots of shooting.  What more could you ask for.

Enjoy and good luck.

Last Chance

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 11:53:03 AM »
If only I was a rich man!!
10x world champion modern
9x overall world champion
2019 National champion & shootoff
7x world Shootoff champion
6x 4 man team world champion
2x BAMM world champion

trooper

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 11:03:46 PM »
If only I was a rich man!!

But then you'd come down and kick our butts!!! ;D
Intentionally Blank

Grouchy Spike

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 08:11:50 PM »
Trooper,  here's some wishes for good luck and success during your match! 

Tell me about your Doughboy and  BAMM side matches, what is the scenario, weapons, rounds, target distance, etc.  Several of us are always looking for new ideas to improve our matches and imitation is the best form of flattery! 

Several clubs in Texas are starting up a Doughboy category in a Wild Bunch match, using a bolt action rifle instead of a cowboy rifle, shooting at Cody Dixon targets about 50 yds or more.
Run - Hide - Call?  Forget it !  Draw - Aim - Shoot

trooper

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 01:32:58 AM »
Right...  You will  notice I didn't call it a "BAMM" match.   That's because we are still starting up in that area and most folks are not "properly equipped" (Stripper clips etc)  We are also unable to easily source LEAD projectiles for these rifles, and if we insisted on THAT then few would/could shoot.  Some of the rifles used last month had sat in the back of safes for YEARS!  lol     So for now..its no on the clock reloads and paper targets.  We shot a fairly vanilla side match, 5 shots "Rapid" at 25m...  10 shots Offhand at 50... 10 shots "any field position" at 75 (range has limited distance!)  This was on paper scoring targets.... best score won.     The "Doughboy" we ran was a simple 5 rounds rapid..(hit or miss) ....move forward, stage rifle, then 14 rounds pistol and 5 shotgun.        So...not "up to spec" but we did what we could...and it was huge fun.   The Match itself I will post a more thorough report on soon!               I will mention that on the first two days (side match day and Day 1 of the Main) the temperature on the range exceeded 44 degrees.    And being celsius that was a bit nasty (115 F)  :(    We did not shoot all planned side matches, and one stage was dropped from the Main Match.   

P.S.  Just out of interest... rifles used were mainly SMLE's (No 1 Mk III*,  No4 Mk 1's .... and one very nice original No 1 MkIII.   Mosin Nagants...and ONE Springfield O3 A3 which I drooled over)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 01:37:37 AM by trooper »
Intentionally Blank

Grouchy Spike

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 07:09:01 AM »
Your game sounds like fun, Trooper! Bolt action rifles, ammo, and groceries go together.   ‘Spec’ is whatever the range and the shooters can accommodate, and our games in the USA are similar to yours.  The feature, the main attraction,  is shooting the old bolts in friendly competitions, and that’s the spirit however it’s named.  Were you a ‘few’ miles closer to Texas, you’d see some Texans joining your match with grins on their faces!  The game is evolutionary, as evidenced by the examples set by Dusty Boddams and the Comanche Valley Vigilantes in Cleburne Texas.  After hooking several shooters on the old bolts at the Texas State WB Match in 2015, DB et al introduced GAMM at the 2018 Texas State WB match. There was a queue of us waiting to shoot his M1 Garand with his ammo that he kindly supplied.  Several ‘disciples’ were thinking about that Garand Action Military Match and within days, maybe even hours, of the match the purchases of M1s began or the M1s were pulled from the back of the safe and tuned up, sighted in with a load recommended by DB.  Treating that addiction, the Texican Rangers in Comfort Texas will host their first GAM Match on March 9, as part of the BAM Match weather permitting.  At 44C or 115F, there might not be a permit! 

I used Google Earth to view Majura Range – that’s one nice facility that you have there!  The Canberra National Pistol Club range is also well done.  Good Shooting!

Grouchy Spike

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 07:14:50 AM »
Hondo Tweed and the Roughriders introduced a new feature in BAMM at the Oklahoma State WB match in 2018 - a moving target.  Driven by a garage door opener, a target traversed the range from one side to the other, reversed and traversed it in the opposite direction.  Wicked, sales of garage door openers might see an increase.  More about that match in the January Cowboy Chronicle.

lostvaquero

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 08:48:46 AM »
Wish I could go.  But sounds like a good match.

Good LUCK!!! 

Looking forward to the pictures. 

trooper

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 11:06:51 PM »
A few photos from the match...I'll see about uploading some video if that's possible...

You will notice the steel is all "shrouded"...that is a fairly new requirement here...and one we are still adjusting to...

Intentionally Blank

trooper

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 11:08:45 PM »
And another...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:10:35 PM by trooper »
Intentionally Blank