Wild Bunch Boards > Reloading for Wild Bunch

700-X load for .45 Colt

(1/2) > >>

Dead Head:
Anyone have an idea on how many grains of 700-X are needed with 200 gr bullet in .45 Colt rifle to get 160 PF?

Kid Rich:
At or about the minimum load  should give the pf very easily. Load recommendations for 700x are not very low. Minimum load on the Hodgden website is 5.0 gs=822 pfs. That should be a pf of 164.

Garrison Joe:
Remember that the professional loading data you find for .45 Colt is chronographed from pistols.  Rifle usually adds another 150-200 FPS to the muzzle velocity. 

But the number Kid Rich gave you is about what I found to be a good load when I tried 700-X.   Gave an accurate load for me.  It was considerably dirtier than WST, so that is what I have shot for a 200 grain rifle load for 8 years now.

Good luck, GJ

Dead Head:
Thanks, guys. 

I reset my Dillon 550-B to drop the 5.0 grains of 700-X and it is such a little amount that I may have to go back to Trail Boss so I can see it in the case as I put the bullet on top. 

I just seem to get some Trail Boss all over my machine and bench as it doesn't always drop smoothly. I am using an electric aquarium water pump rubber banded to the lower part of powder container/powder measure to vibrate it too.  It just seems like sometimes the case has already dropped down 2-4" before all the Trail Boss has dropped and some of the Trail Boss misses the case.

Garrison Joe:

--- Quote from: Dead Head on November 28, 2018, 07:57:03 AM ---... I am using an electric aquarium water pump rubber banded to the lower part of powder container/powder measure to vibrate it too.  It just seems like sometimes the case has already dropped down 2-4" before all the Trail Boss has dropped and some of the Trail Boss misses the case.

--- End quote ---

I'd take the measure off and clean real well all the internal surfaces of hopper, slide cavity, and the expander/powder drop tube!  Anything powder might stick to.   Clean with isopropyl alcohol and let dry.  Then run a fresh dryer sheet on all those areas to add a little extra anti-static layer to the contact parts.

TrailBoss is a low density large flake powder.  It is known for not metering real consistently and dropping freely.   

(PS - that right there is one strong reason (of three) that I load WST powder for everything WB.   But yes, you have to have confidence that you are putting a charge in every case.   I get that confidence by having a RCBS powder lock-out die in the 550 tool head, meaning I use a combined seat-crimp die at last station.  I don't have the diligence to look down in every case when I load over 4000 rounds a month.  But those lock-out dies sure do!)

Good luck, GJ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version