Grouchy Spike

Cowboys/Cowgirls - what would attract you to Wild Bunch?

319 posts in this topic

Have always loved my 1911s, so Wild Bunch was a perfect addition to my CAS shooting.

1 person likes this

Why is the 16 gauge 1897 not allowed, Dusty? Every WB shooter that I've observed uses light loads so power can't be a factor if that's the argument.

A good question! 

In addition, Winchester Model 12's are legal shotguns but at the firing line, but the rules for a Model 97 must be followed:

Loaded shotguns must be staged with the muzzle down range, the action closed, the chamber empty, and the hammer either on the safety notch or fully down. (Failure to comply, SDQ)
Shooters using the Model‘12 shotgun must follow this additional safety procedure:Under the direct supervision of the TO/CRO on the firing line,they must point the muzzle in a safe direction and pull the trigger. If the hammer falls, SDQ. Failure to follow this procedure isa SDQ. It is the shooter's responsibility to ensure this procedure is followed before beginning the course of fire

A shooter cannot at the Loading Table close the forearm on an empty chamber of a Model 12 - pull the trigger and then engage the safety bolt before loading the magazine tube.  The Loading Officer can verify this.Then at the firing line to verify the chamber is empty - disengage the safety bolt, pull the the trigger and the hammer drops indicating an empty chamber.  If one does this ... SDQ

Edited by John Boy

JB, the underlined portion at the bottom of your post looks strange and not in the WB rules. Are you stating this or is this a quote? It's impossible to engage the safety on a model 12 with the hammer down. If a model 12 does this a trip to the gunsmith is in order.  Dusty Boddams

2 people like this

It's impossible to engage the safety on a model 12 with the hammer down

Dusty - absolutely correct, my error.  Correction made in post